Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thanksgiving, 2016

+4
Bugster2
Crybaby
Imelda HL
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Thanksgiving, 2016 Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

What are your plans for the holiday this year? We're going to go to Dane's sister's to try our hand at deep frying a 10 lb. turkey.....If we fail miserably it'll be OK because everyone knows the SIDES are the star of the meal!

Cheryle has been out of town for a couple days so I haven't spoken to her about who will make what.....I may make my new 'salad sensation', Kale & Broccoli Slaw (recipe posted in the salad section). But, maybe not since I just made it today to 'create' the recipe.

I do know Brussels sprouts will be on the table....we all love them! She mentioned a sweet potato casserole with a praline topping, a Southern 'thang' to be sure!

The hardest part is wanting ALL the wonderful sides and knowing we'll explode if we make them all. LOL

2Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:56 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:What are your plans for the holiday this year?  We're going to go to Dane's sister's to try our hand at deep frying a 10 lb. turkey.....If we fail miserably it'll be OK because everyone knows the SIDES are the star of the meal!

Cheryle has been out of town for a couple days so I haven't spoken to her about who will make what.....I may make my new 'salad sensation', Kale & Broccoli Slaw (recipe posted in the salad section).  But, maybe not since I just made it today to 'create' the recipe.

I do know Brussels sprouts will be on the table....we all love them!  She mentioned a sweet potato casserole with a praline topping, a Southern 'thang' to be sure!  

The hardest part is wanting ALL the wonderful sides and knowing we'll explode if we make them all.  LOL

We will be celebrating it at my in-laws' place, and eat the same things like last years and years before, my MIL is in charge of the meal, I might make some pumpkin pie or cheesecake for dessert

Next weekend at our church we have Thanksgiving dinner for the less fortunate people surround us.. we commit to bring 2 dishes, a side dish and a dessert.. I'm thinking to bring green bean casserole with sour cream and a sweet potato casserole with pecan topping which I have couple of questions about it.

Is it a dessert or side dish and what do you think if I want to substitute sweet potato with pumpkin, will it be as good as the one with sweet potatoes?

3Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:03 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, it is very kind of you to contribute to your church's Thanksgiving dinner! I would think if your sweet potato casserole had the pecan and brown sugar strusel topping you could easily consider it a dessert. If you did a substitute with pumpkin (would you include eggs to make it a custard?) that would work as well.

I love the Thanksgiving holiday. There are so many wonderful side dishes that can be included.

4Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:56 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:What are your plans for the holiday this year?  We're going to go to Dane's sister's to try our hand at deep frying a 10 lb. turkey.....If we fail miserably it'll be OK because everyone knows the SIDES are the star of the meal!

Though we've never done it, we've watched it being done several times, Beth, and there's hardly a chance to fail.  Personally, both Brian and I adore fried turkey; however, we decided a long time ago that we'd rather watch someone do it than do it ourselves.  All that hot oil and an open flame scares the daylights out of me and I think I transferred my hesitation to Brian as well.  Or perhaps it was the Allstate Insurance ads they run around this time of year, showing where people caught their decks on fire, their garages on fire and then the end of the commercial says, "...And 4 people even managed to burn their entire house down."  

Several people who fry turkeys around here spread the word they're doing so and just ask that others show up with their 12 lb. or so turkeys.  Some people pitch in to pay for the copious amount of peanut oil needed.

When we used to have a crowd on Thanksgiving, we'd smoke a turkey and cook one in the oven.  But it's just not Thanksgiving to me unless I have that roast turkey smell going in the house, so I'd have to cook one inside even if we had a fried one, too.  And regardless of whether it's necessary or not, I do enjoy basting my turkey.  

Bethk wrote:She mentioned a sweet potato casserole with a praline topping, a Southern 'thang' to be sure!  

Funny you mentioned this, Beth.  I've had a recipe for a while that I actually tried yesterday, as I've been thinking of making it for Thanksgiving but wanted a dry run first.  I'd asked Brian to pick up some sweet potatoes at the store and he bought a 3-lb. bag of them that held the smallest sweet potatoes I'd ever seen!  He scrubbed them for me and I ended up using the entire bag of them.  The dish came out really good.  I made it in my Le Creuset 14" oval au gratin dish, as I wanted something shallow, and it turned out to be the perfect size for it.  Brian loved it and said he liked it better than regular candied yams.  I baked it for about 35 minutes in the oven.  Here it is in case anyone wants it:

Sweet Potato Praline Casserole
Makes 6 to 8 servings/Recipe from Chef Alex Patout's "Cajun Home Cooking." You can make the sweet potato puree ahead of time, then warm it and add the topping.

5 large sweet potatoes
1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
1 /2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.  Scrub sweet potatoes and place in the oven. Bake until tender, about 40 minutes, and remove. When they are cool enough to handle, halve them and scoop out the insides into a large mixing bowl. Mash well. You should have about 3 cups.
2. Mix in softened butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla, and milk. Pour the mixture into a baking pan or casserole dish.
3. Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan. Add the brown sugar and stir until it dissolves. Cook the mixture over medium heat until it reaches the soft-ball stage (235°F) on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat and beat in the melted butter and pecans. Pour mixture over the sweet potatoes. Bake until very hot and beginning to brown.

Last edited by Crybaby on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

5Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:09 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda, it's so nice to see you back! Did you have a nice time? Bet your mom and family hated to see you leave but then you had Dirk missing you like crazy!

What's the first thing you cooked for Dirk when you got home?

6Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:06 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:Imelda, it's so nice to see you back!  Did you have a nice time?  Bet your mom and family hated to see you leave but then you had Dirk missing you like crazy!

What's the first thing you cooked for Dirk when you got home?  

Thank you Michelle, yes.. it's good to be home, but I miss my family too, my mom is getting weaker and needs somebody to accompany her, thank God she is still capable to go to bathroom to take care of herself, she is still very independent as best as she can.. she is in a wheelchair and rolls herself to do her daily activities.. we don't have electric wheelchairs there, so she has to do it with her hands and her weak legs

The second day I arrived, I caught cold, runny nose, cough and a bit fever, before I was really down, I cooked some some potatoes and veggies soup, I had some chicken fat in my freezer ( I like to keep the extra fat from the chickens when I cleaned them, stored them in small ziploc bag and froze them ), I threw some of them in a pot of water, boiled them and added some browned Jimmy Dean sausages, potatoes, carrots and napa cabbage, seasoned with nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon sticks, the soup was good, I survived my flu with it.. I was really down for the whole 2 days, I think the meds made it worse, drowsy and tired, Dirk took good care of me, heated the soup and made hot tea for me.. now I'm good, he is not, he still has sore throat and runny nose, no meds for him except Fishermen's friend coughing drops and lots of Vit C

No idea what to cook today, I guess we are going to finish my chicken, I'm still blank, can't think much yet

7Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Imelda, it is very kind of you to contribute to your church's Thanksgiving dinner!  I would think if your sweet potato casserole had the pecan and brown sugar strusel topping you could easily consider it a dessert.  If you did a substitute with pumpkin (would you include eggs to make it a custard?) that would work as well.

I love the Thanksgiving holiday.  There are so many wonderful side dishes that can be included.

Yes, it has milk and eggs, so I'm good, right?

8Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes - good for a dessert.

9Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:41 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have a similar recipe from a Junior League cookbook. I would not consider it a dessert at all, only a side dish. It is sweet and a little goes a long way.

10Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:26 am

NormM

NormM

My nephew's wife makes something similar. She calls it a souffle and it tastes similar to pumpkin pie without the crust, but serves it as a side dish.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

11Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda, I'm sorry to hear about your mom slowing down.  I know it must be hard to be so far away from her.  Do you have any siblings that live near your mother?  

I'm also sorry you were ill for your homecoming, too.  At least you weren't sick on the trip, as there's nothing worse, especially given the time it takes you to fly home.  Glad you're feeling better now, especially with Thanksgiving coming up, as it's such a drag to be sick on a holiday.  

Brian and I used to have a houseful of guests for Thanksgiving in years past but we've cut back gradually over the years as we just don't get around as well as we used to and we conk out a lot quicker, too!  This year it will probably be just  the two of us and my late sister's husband, Ed.  Ed's a good cook, too, and enjoys a good meal; he will probably bring an appetizer and/or a couple bottles of wine.  It will be so strange for me to cook a small turkey (14 lbs.), as we used to get a 22-24 lb. one.  But last year I realized I could no longer lift the 17 lb. turkey into and out of the oven -- and I like to baste my turkey, too.  And that was before  I developed my current right elbow problem.  But Brian is my chief helper and though he probably couldn't handle a huge one any longer either, a 14. lb. turkey won't be a problem for him.

Now I've just got to remember to cut back the menu that I normally make, and  decide on just one (or maybe two!) appetizers, and fewer side dishes as well.  I cook way too much food for the holiday but then I love turkey leftovers and usually send guests home with leftovers, too.  I don't want to run out of fridge space before or after Thanksgiving...

Oh, and my brand new dishwasher?  It's broken.  Evidently, the model I got has a systemic problem for which they didn't recall the model; the repairman ordered the part once he spoke to Maytag about what was causing the problem and said he hopes it will be here by Friday.  I asked him to please try to make sure we have a working dishwasher by Thanksgiving and he said he felt sure he would.  The problem is I start making ahead what I can on Monday so it'll  be a pain no matter when it's fixed, as it's ALREADY a pain!

12Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, dear, so sorry to hear about the ailing dishwasher. I sometimes run mine 2 or 3 times when I'm getting ready for a holiday. I hate having a mess sitting around and I also don't like it when it's half full (or more) from meal prep and then there's not ample room to get the meal dishes in without crowding and not getting everything sparkling clean. I'd rather run a 3/4 full dishwasher than a packed one.

13Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:29 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Oh, dear, so sorry to hear about the ailing dishwasher.  I sometimes run mine 2 or 3 times when I'm getting ready for a holiday.  I hate having a mess sitting around and I also don't like it when it's half full (or more) from meal prep and then there's not ample room to get the meal dishes in without crowding and not getting everything sparkling clean.  I'd rather run a 3/4 full dishwasher than a packed one.

I know! I use the heck out of it, and often run through things I haven't used in a while if necessary, like a gravy boat, a big platter, etc. Keep your fingers crossed that the repairman is back here on Friday with the part. The guy told Brian if Brian got a part for under our sink (a new flexible something or other to replace our current non-flexible something or other) that he would install it for us when he returns. Brian is no fool and went to Home Depot this morning to get the part. We're not handy and we know it so we never turn down any offered assistance!

14Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:28 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

[quote="Imelda HL"]

Cheryle has been out of town for a couple days so I haven't spoken to her about who will make what.....I may make my new 'salad sensation', Kale & Broccoli Slaw (recipe posted in the salad section).  But, maybe not since I just made it today to 'create' the recipe.

I do know Brussels sprouts will be on the table....we all love them!  She mentioned a sweet potato casserole with a praline topping, a Southern 'thang' to be sure!  

The hardest part is wanting ALL the wonderful sides and knowing we'll explode if we make them all.  LOL

[color=#009900][b]We will be celebrating it at my in-laws' place, and eat the same things like last years and years before, my MIL is in charge of the meal, I might make some pumpkin pie or cheesecake for dessert

Imelda, I totally forgot about sweet potato pie. I got this on my feed. I haven't tried it but thought I would post it anyway.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/11/sweet-potato-pie-recipe.html

15Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:16 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugs - great site! Love when the 'science' of the recipe is explained and notes made about why a substitution might not work as planned (ie: butternut squash doesn't react as well as sweet potatoes to simmering in the dairy.....).

I'm adding the site to my 'favorites' to peruse later at leisure. Thanks!

16Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:01 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Bugs - great site!  Love when the 'science' of the recipe is explained and notes made about why a substitution might not work as planned (ie: butternut squash doesn't react as well as sweet potatoes to simmering in the dairy.....).

I'm adding the site to my 'favorites' to peruse later at leisure.  Thanks!

I have one of Kenji's books and it is literally a text book on the science of cooking but at the same time, a cook book. This guy is a real hoot. I think he has his master's or PHD from MIT and here is his real calling: cooking. So, when he is talking about the science of cooking, he really knows what he is talking about.

17Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:22 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote: I have one of Kenji's books and it is literally a text book on the science of cooking but at the same time, a cook book. This guy is a real hoot. I think he has his master's or PHD from MIT and here is his real calling: cooking. So, when he is talking about the science of cooking, he really knows what he is talking about.

I really like this site, too, Debbie. I read a lot of the Thanksgiving planning/prep part and really liked it. I'm going to check out some of the recipes at another time.

18Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so I've been writing up my Thanksgiving 'Time-Line', notes so I don't forget anything.

Who else does a written schedule of what to do leading up to the 'Big Day' and what to do, when, on the day of the holiday?

I've been doing it for years, something I really rely on when all the confusion starts. It's especially helpful when I have others in the kitchen with me wanting to assist. They can see what comes next and help me get going on all the extras.

This year I'll be packing up a bunch of food/supplies to take to Dane's sister's house as we'll be cooking and eating there. Last time I was there I went to slice something and discovered she didn't have a single smooth-blade knife in her kitchen.....how can that be? Well, I guess when she got married someone gave her a knife set that 'never-needs-sharpening' and she believed the advertising. So, I went out and bought an inexpensive chef knife and some paring knives that are practically disposable (they are that cheap/ 6 for $2). The paring knives are super sharp (I bought them originally for a trip out of town when we would be staying at a condo) and that's when I found out how nice they are. Now I just have to warn her so she doesn't cut her finger(s) off!

19Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:52 pm

NormM

NormM

Last year we started rotating Thanksgiving dinner between our families. Last year was my turn. This year I promised to bring the cranberry sauce. I did that yesterday and it is in the fridge. That's all I plan to do... OK I may do something else too, but that is all I committed to. This recipe is from Toni. Remember her?

Cranberry Chutney

Ingredients

4 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
6 whole cloves
1 teaspoon salt
2 tart apples, peeled, cored and diced (i use granny smith apples)
2 pears, peeled, cored, and diced
1 small yellow onion
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup crystallized ginger, diced or 1 teaspoon of dried ground ginger

Directions Step-By-Step

In a deep 6 quart saucepan, bring cranberries, water, sugar, cinnamon sticks, cloves and salt to a boil over medium heat.

Stir frequently for about 10 minutes, until cranberries start to make a popping sound.

Once cranberries begin to pop, reduce heat to simmer. Add diced apples, pears, onion and raisins, and continue stirring frequently until mixture begins to thicken. (10 to 15 minutes.)

Remove from heat. Stir in ginger. Cool to room temperature. Remove cinnamon sticks and cloves before serving.

Recipe makes about 3 quarts.

20Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, I remember Toni. She sure had some good recipes! So sad that we don't have access to that old forum at cooking.com ~ if you didn't copy/paste they are gone for good.

Norm, I'll bet your sister wouldn't be upset with you if you made a couple loaves of bread to take along. Especially if you'll be there long enough for leftovers.....Your bread always make me drool!

21Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:09 pm

NormM

NormM

I am tempted to make Chuck Love's Challah bread. I have made that a few times for Thanksgiving. Charlie thinks I should make a pumpkin cheesecake.

22Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:18 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:I am tempted to make Chuck Love's Challah bread. I have made that a few times for Thanksgiving.  Charlie thinks I should make a pumpkin cheesecake.

Norm, I usually make a pumpkin praline cheesecake but last year I cheated. I bought a Sara Lee pumpkin cheesecake and put my praline topping on top. I am going to do it again this year. Their pumpkin cheesecakes are pretty good.

23Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:33 pm

NormM

NormM

This is the pumpkin cheesecake I have made a few times, but now that I think about it, it's been a few years since I made one.

Thanksgiving, 2016 Slicedpumpkincheesecake

Cheesecake Factory Pumpkin

The Cheesecake Factory Pumpkin CheeseSprinkle crushed pecans for authenticity
Cheesecake Factory Pumpkin Cheesecake

Crust:
1 1/2 cups graham crumbs
5 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 Tbsp. sugar

I used
1 1/2 C graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 C gr. pecans
1/2 stick butter
1/4 C brown sugar.
This makes more than you need for an 8-inch pan.
Filling:
3- 8oz.pkgs. cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup canned pumpkin
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice
Whipped Cream

Mix crust ingredients together, just till coated and crumbly. Press onto the bottom and 2/3 up the sides of an 8" springform pan. Bake for 5 min. at 350. Set aside.

Combine cheese, sugar and vanilla in large bowl, mix until smooth with an electric mixer. add pumpkin eggs, and spices, beat till smooth and creamy. Pour into the crust. Bake for 60-70 min. or till the top turns a bit darker. Remove from oven and allow to come to room temperature, then refrigerate. After it has thoroughly chilled, remove the pan sides and cut. Serve with whipped cream.

24Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm not a cheesecake fan so I vote for Chuck's Challah bread.....

((this was up for a vote, wasn't it??? LOL))

25Thanksgiving, 2016 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:25 pm

NormM

NormM

I might make both.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum