Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today?

+4
Bugster2
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 14]

201October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:18 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I'm using the self-clean option on the oven today.  I've never used it before.  Actually, I've never used the 'self-clean' on ANY oven I've owned.  I always used cleaner and elbow grease.

But, hey, I've still got it under warranty so I figured I'd give it a try.  Got nothing to lose, I guess.

I did pull the stove out to the middle of the kitchen in case it got really hot.  I didn't want it sitting within 1/2" of the wood cabinets.  And I just touched the sides (in the middle of the cycle) and I'm glad I made that decision.  It's really hot.  Fortunately for me it's easy to slide straight out on the tile floor.

I think you were VERY WISE to get the stove away from your cabinets, Beth. i can pull my stove out, too, but then it would be too close to the cabinets in my island so I'm never going to use that feature. It's nice to hear you get to use it though!

202October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I'm using the self-clean option on the oven today.  I've never used it before.  Actually, I've never used the 'self-clean' on ANY oven I've owned.  I always used cleaner and elbow grease.

But, hey, I've still got it under warranty so I figured I'd give it a try.  Got nothing to lose, I guess.

I did pull the stove out to the middle of the kitchen in case it got really hot.  I didn't want it sitting within 1/2" of the wood cabinets.  And I just touched the sides (in the middle of the cycle) and I'm glad I made that decision.  It's really hot.  Fortunately for me it's easy to slide straight out on the tile floor.

I have the oven racks outside in a heavy duty trash bag soaking in some ammonia and hot water.  Today is just a lovely day ~ overcast and cool (73°) so I can have the patio door open and the ceiling fans all on high to move the stink outside.

I told Dane the instructions warned that some small birds may be affected by the fumes so, just in case, if he starts to feel light headed he should tell me and I'd drag his body out in the courtyard to the fresh air.......

LOL
October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 2876911673 October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 2876911673 Polly Wanna Cracker???

203October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:29 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:We have Wonder bread here but I think there was a time when it wasn't.  It may have gone under then came back with different owners... Like Hostess.

It did for a few months Norm. A large bakeries company took it over.
I know Walmart stores carry it, and I see Walmart in Temecula, CA carries it.
I'm gonna have a tomato and cheese with mayo right now on Wonder Bread for lunch.

204October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The self-clean feature on the oven worked quite well. There are a couple spots that will have to be wiped by hand (by the bottom of the door) but, all in all, I would use it again.

I regularly (OK, maybe 'regularly' is a little misleading....) clean the racks with ammonia water. It does a really good job of getting the baked on grease spatters loosened up so they can be wiped clean in soapy water. I'll be SO glad to get a larger sink. It's a PITA to try to clean anything large size in a mini-kitchen-sink.

The main problem I have is I cook a lot of chicken in the oven, maybe start it in a cast iron skillet on the stove top and then finish it in the oven. The grease spatters EVERYWHERE. And the last couple times I used the oven I noticed I had a lot of smoke ~ pouring out of the vent and all over the kitchen ~ so I knew I needed to clean it.

I'm curious as to how long it will take before it cools down enough to wipe up the inside and push it back between the cabinets.....sure am glad I didn't try this on a hot day! PHEW!!!

205October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:46 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am glad you took out the racks Beth. Self clean ruins them.

206October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:16 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have been reading about the tariffs that are going into effect tomorrow. You will be paying 25% more for imported cheese such as Parmesan, Swiss, Colby, Romano, Provolone.

Kerrygold butter goes up 25%.

Bailey's Irish Cream and other cordials

Single malt Irish and Scotch whiskey

Wine

Olive oil and olives

Pork and sausages

Biscuits and cookies

I am tempted to do a Costco run and pick up some Parmesan and Kerrygold and freeze them.

207October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made soft tacos for supper. I had a couple avocados so guacamole was on the menu too. Dane sometimes snacks on tortilla chips (he counts out a certain number to eat with salsa....and he doesn't eat any more than he decides he's allowed....way too much will power for me! LOL). I tasted one of the tortilla chips from the open bag he had in the pantry.....

YUCK !!!

They were stale and almost rancid tasting. YUCK! I was glad I had an unopened bag on the top shelf. When I mentioned it to him he said he hadn't noticed.

Gross.

I always have to toss stuff from the refrigerator 'on-the-sly' because he wants to eat leftovers that are days, and sometimes, a week old. NO ~ NONONONONONONO!

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 10_18_10

208October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:16 pm

NormM

NormM

I had the pot roast with the three powdered mixes with carrots, celery, broccoli and potatoes.  It spent 5 hours in the slow cooker and ten minutes in the pressure cooker and it was still chewy as heck.  It tasted great though.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

209October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:17 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have a 3-day rule on leftovers.

210October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I had the pot roast with the three powdered mixes with carrots, celery, broccoli and potatoes.  It spent 5 hours in the slow cooker and ten minutes in the pressure cooker and it was still chewy as heck.  It tasted great though.

same thing has happened to me before. Sometimes the chuck roast is just from some old bull that finally dropped just as they were pushing him into the slaughterhouse....

211October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I had the pot roast with the three powdered mixes with carrots, celery, broccoli and potatoes.  It spent 5 hours in the slow cooker and ten minutes in the pressure cooker and it was still chewy as heck.  It tasted great though.

I had that the other night. DD made seared ends of the fillet mignon
and they tasted delicious, but it was like chewing on a ball of twine.
Chew and Chew...... and the chew getting drier and drier.
I needed a spoon of jello to finally help get it to go down.

212October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:45 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

P I Z Z A was on the menu tonight.
Son and DIL stopped and got 2 large pies on the way here.
One 1/2 plain and 1/2 mushroom. the other... Bacon.
It tasted like the fake bacon bits in the jar. I'm not a fan of bacon topping on pizza.
A little hickory smoked bacon would maybe have been better.

213October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Side note: Imelda is fine. She's in Indonesia visiting her mother. When she gets back to the States she'll try and stop by to say, "Hi".

214October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:26 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I sent a short note to Imelda in AZ several weeks ago but got no response. Beth reminded me recently that we both have her email address, so I sent her an email yesterday.

Got a reply from her today! She's visiting her mom in Indonesia and just hasn't been going online as much as she used to. She said she'd check in when she got back to the U.S. and said to say hi to everyone here!

Not only do I miss Imelda but I miss her beautiful food pics, too!

215October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:27 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Laughed, as we both posted about Imelda at the same time!

216October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Side note:  Imelda is fine.  She's in Indonesia visiting her mother.  When she gets back to the States she'll try and stop by to say, "Hi".
Oh Great! Thanks Beth.

217October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have a marinated London Broil thawing in the refrigerator for a Monday cookout with the neighbor. I've promised him the cook out I've described and he's looking forward to the meal.

I also have a meatloaf thawing. I was going to make it tonight, but got 'The-Look', as if I had said, "We're having dog food for supper.....". I also offered to turn it into Salisbury Steak but he didn't like that idea, either.

So, supper decision is on HIS shoulders tonight. I'm guessing we'll be having Papa John's pizza delivery......

but then again, it might be something completely different.

218October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Here it is 6:30 pm and Nothing cooking yet!
I think I'll try and find that meatloaf leftover, and make a sandwich on fresh wonder bread. The old loaf was on the counter yesterday, and It fell on the floor, and clumsy me didn't see it, and I stepped on it. Crushed it into a flat dough ball! Impossible to straighten out. hahahaha

219October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Papa John's delivery to the rescue!

Although Dane said he wasn't hungry, I ate 2 pieces of a large pizza and somehow he 'forced' himself to finish off the rest.....

220October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I tried the shepherds pie. Uhhhhhh... Didn't like the taste. Maybe not enough salt?? too much beevy??? It had like an iron taste. IDK

221October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I suggested going out for breakfast.....it's my favorite meal to have served.

He didn't want to go.

That's why you only see ONE serving in my pic............

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 10_20_14

222October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I turned my meatloaf into a dozen little oval patties and I'm calling it Salisbury Steak.  I browned the patties & removed from the skillet.  Then I softened a sliced onion and deglazed the pan with some red wine.  I added a spoonful of tomato paste, a can of cream of mushroom soup (why I had it in the pantry, I don't know), but figured with the addition of the wine and consomme it would just round out the flavors....

I'll let it simmer for an hour or so and then take off the lid and let it reduce a bit.

Going to serve it with some rice and buttered carrots.

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 10_20_15

223October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Turns out we each only ate two little patties.....so now I have TWO dishes of Salisbury Steak & Gravy to put into the freezer for another meal.

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 10_20_16

224October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Turns out we each only ate two little patties.....so now I have TWO dishes of Salisbury Steak & Gravy to put into the freezer for another meal.  

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 10_20_16

A lot of thought went into that meal Beth.
Looks great though. Don't forget..... finish your carrots, they're good for your eyes.

225October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 9 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We always finish the vegetables....both of us like most every one. It always irritates me when we go out and one of the 'premium' vegetables is asparagus and we order it. The serving is, at most, four stalks. Heck, that's not even an appetizer serving for us! You would think restaurants would fill the plate with vegetables because they're more inexpensive than the protein. But the only thing they seem to load on is potatoes ~ NOT a favorite.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum