Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today?

+4
Bugster2
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 14]

151October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We have Dish satellite, and they stink. We don't have fiber optic by Verizon. Some homes are wired for it, but the service is not on the streets poles yet...
Our town, and area, are way behind the times.

152October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:51 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

We have Frontier which is Verizon. They have fiber optic which goes to a main box or boxes in the area but from that point on it is cable to the house. This slows things down when there are a lot of people on the net. Their tech help is staffed by morons, their billing dept is all screwed up. It is no better than anyone else.

153October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:46 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

We have Comcast. They have been the only provider since cable came around. It is outrageous with what they charge.

There is another company, RCN, who has city approval to compete with Comcast. They are wiring my building as we speak.

I do not know how good this company is. They provide a lot of channels, but they are very different from what Comcast provides; and no Turner Classic Movies.

I am locked into a 2 year deal with Comcast. Each time I try to renegotiate the plan, the cost jumps exponentially. I have to resort to speaking with a conciliatory manager. Yup.. Things always gets screwed up, if I do not.

I did learn something the last time I called.

Once I said I was calling to look at other options for plans, the representative immediately WIPED clean my current choices. I was livid. I could not go back to my plan. I went on and on with them.. one supervisor to another.. Never got the exact plan back, but I was able to get 6 months free of Starz--which was on of my stations--Outlander. Had to throw in a useless phone line.. I never use it.. It is only there, for the deal. I prefer my old Verizon landline.. Comcast Voice is unreliable as far as this building goes.. Glad I kept it.

It took me 20 hours of phone calls to get what I wanted. I timed it; between being on hold, talking to one person after another.. oh yeah, I was livid.
~~~~~
Jimmy, glad the baby is ok.. really..
~~~
love to all ...

154October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was a "Get-Outta-Dodge" day.....Lyn, Barb & Barb's daughter, Cathy, who is here on vacation from Ohio for 2 weeks ~ off to Orlando area to go to Costco & Trader Joe's. We stopped in Cleremont at The Crooked Spoon, a gastro pub, for a late lunch. Everyone got something different: Chopped Salad w/Strawberries & Bleu Cheese, Mac & Cheese w/Side Salad & Broccolini, Blueberry Brie Burger w/House Chips & Portuguese Mussels w/Chorizo & White Beans.

You have to guess which was MINE ??????

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 10_15_11

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 10_15_12

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 10_15_13

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 10_15_14

155October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Yours was the Burger and Chips....huh? Was I right?

Tonight was Meatloaf I made and Mommy T loved it. I had a baked, and Mommy had mashed potato. Asparagus.
Now comes the best meal for me later. The good ole Meatloaf sandwich with brown mustard on rye bread.

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Img_1616

156October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:54 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Great job, Jimmy!

I'd like MY cold meatloaf sandwich on Wonder White Bread with Miracle Whip, please.......

Any way you eat it, it's a good thing. YUM!

157October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:46 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Been searching for recipes that use jarred alfredo sauce. I tried a jar of Bertolli brand and found that I could eat it without gagging. What to do with the rest of it is the problem. I ran across a chicken pot pie recipe made with it so i might give that a try.

158October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Great job, Jimmy!  

I'd like MY cold meatloaf sandwich on Wonder White Bread with Miracle Whip, please.......

Any way you eat it, it's a good thing.  YUM!

Tina is a Meatloaf Lover. When we go to a diner, she will ask the waitperson,
"How's the meatloaf?" Then, I say,"Here comes the "Meatloaf L00K" from everyone around.

159October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I use to make a chicken tetrazzini that was really good. I used a frozen alfredo from an Italian Market in Toledo that was really tasty.

Let me see if I can find the recipe......I made it a long, long time ago ~ right after our girls moved out and I had to start cooking for two. I use to make a huge batch and put it into foil pans and freeze it for later meals.

I had lots more energy then..........

OK, here's my recipe:

Chicken Tetrazzini with Marsala and Fresh Mushrooms
Adapted from Southern Living, January 2009

Yield: 6 Servings

2 Tbsp. Butter
1 – 8 oz. Pkg. Mushrooms, sliced (I use crimini / baby bellas)
1 – 7 oz. Pkg. Spaghetti, cooked to al dente
3 c. Cooked Chicken, shredded
1 c. Parmesan Cheese, shredded
1 – 10 ¾ oz. can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 – 16 oz. Alfredo Sauce (I use a local frozen brand)
1 c. Chicken Broth
½ c. Dry Marsala Wine
¼ c. Pimento or Roasted Red Peppers, chopped
¼ c. Butter, melted
1 c. Panko crumbs
½ c. slivered or sliced almonds

Melt butter and sauté mushrooms 4-5 minutes or until liquid is released and cooked off.

Put cooked spaghetti into large bowl and add mushrooms, chicken, Parmesan cheese and peppers. Mix well. In bowl mix Alfredo sauce, mushroom soup, chicken broth and Marsala wine. Pour sauce over spaghetti mixture and mix well. Place into casserole dish. *

Mix melted butter with Panko crumbs and almonds. Spread evenly over casserole. Bake at 350* for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly and browned.

*This recipe may be divided into smaller freezer tins to be baked later.

160October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:26 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Beth, I just saved that recipe! Too funny. We are on the same page.

I tried a 1/4 batch of mac & cheese -BLECH!

161October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, you can probably see the recipe is from a long time ago. I don't usually cook with canned cream soups, but that recipe, coupled with the Italian deli frozen alfredo was pretty tasty. And any 'canned' flavor was masked by the Marsala..... LOL

As I remember, it was really quite good, enhanced by the crispy Panko & almond topping.

162October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:49 pm

NormM

NormM

I made the pork chops with mushroom soup that Beth mentioned the other day.  Charlie said it was good. I thought it was OK but I think an hour in the oven was too long.  We had it with Mac & Cheese.

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 20191020

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

163October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Every once in a while I come across some of the Nathan's Coney Island style casing franks at one of the grocery stores.  The stores carry the product sporadically and it irritates me when I go looking and can't find them.

But tonight was HOT DOG NIGHT !!!

A warmed brioche bun, yellow mustard, chopped onion and JIMMY'S FAMOUS GREEK STYLE SAUCE.

I made an oriental style cabbage salad.....cabbage chopped fairly thick, a grated carrot and a dressing with rice vinegar, white sugar, brown sugar, Tabasco Sauce, soy sauce and a drizzle of sesame oil.  It was a nice mix ~ and, as usual, no amounts because I just poured in a little of this and a little of that.  

But I think what I liked the best was after the dressing had marinated with the cabbage for about 10 minutes I broke up some Stacy's Plain Pita Chips and sprinkled with sesame seeds....then spooned the cabbage salad over and mixed it up just prior to sitting down to eat.  The crunchy pita chips made it similar to a bread salad, only crunchier.  

Hey, I have weird taste....what can I say?

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 10_16_10

164October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Every once in a while I come across some of the Nathan's Coney Island style casing franks at one of the grocery stores.  The stores carry the product sporadically and it irritates me when I go looking and can't find them.

But tonight was HOT DOG NIGHT !!!

A warmed brioche bun, yellow mustard, chopped onion and JIMMY'S FAMOUS GREEK STYLE SAUCE.

I made an oriental style cabbage salad.....cabbage chopped fairly thick, a grated carrot and a dressing with rice vinegar, white sugar, brown sugar, Tabasco Sauce, soy sauce and a drizzle of sesame oil.  It was a nice mix ~ and, as usual, no amounts because I just poured in a little of this and a little of that.  

But I think what I liked the best was after the dressing had marinated with the cabbage for about 10 minutes I broke up some Stacy's Plain Pita Chips and sprinkled with sesame seeds....then spooned the cabbage salad over and mixed it up just prior to sitting down to eat.  The crunchy pita chips made it similar to a bread salad, only crunchier.  

Hey, I have weird taste....what can I say?

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 10_16_10

The bun looks mighty tasty.
I hate that, when the store stops stocking my favorite hot dogs. Nathan's
Coney Island style being one of them. Sabretts ( push cart ) is my other favorite.

165October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I like the flavor of the Sabretts but have never found them with the natural casing.....

To me, the crack & snap when you bite into the hot dog is key to me liking it.

166October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:41 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Little Aurora ( All Better Now ) Thank God....

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Img_1545

She's a doll, Jimmy -- glad you're posting pics again and leading off with one of Aurora!

167October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:49 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Dane and our oldest daughter like cilantro.

Our younger daughter and I think it tastes like "sweaty socks" ~ even though we've never tasted "sweaty socks" that was the first description that came to mind when we tasted it for the first time.  I can now at least swallow it, like in a salsa with chips, but then I move on and just eat the plain chips.

But with all the things I don't care for (most cheese and other assorted things) I am very careful when reading a menu.  Most objectionable items are listed.  I have no problem asking for my salads or meals without a listed cheese.  I don't ask for a substitution, just that it be left off my plate.  I have friends who think if they delete one item they can add another ~ tit for tat sort of thing.  I think that's asking for too much and will pass on the menu item if it's something that would be difficult to omit without changing the dish entirely.

This made me smile, Beth, as when I was young and waited tables for a while, it's funny what people would ask for in the way of substitutions, older people being THE WORST, particularly older females! They'd order a cheese and sausage board for one (for a table of four women), say they didn't want any crackers and ask for extra salami in lieu of the missing crackers. Of course, I'd smile and explain that I thought maybe a cheese and sausage board for 2 would be better for the table even if they weren't too hungry. Nope, they'd rather get that one for one person and then complain that they "expected more sausage" and how "there wasn't really much of any of the stuff." It was a no-win situation for a server but as long as I politely explained things before taking the order, I'd keep my fingers crossed I didn't have to suffer for it personally. It was much easier serving cocktails than food...

168October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:58 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:That is the first thing I thought. Corruption.

I just can't imagine what else it could be other than mistakes were made and corners were cut, whether intentionally or not. Buildings being constructed just don't collapse. Today there was some info out there that some of the workers had complained about things though I'm unsure at this point if they were just speaking about things like that among themselves or if someone actually made a report about some issues they had.

They're really struggling with how to attack the problem with all types of "experts" flying in to discuss the best way to secure this place. I feel sorry for all the people who live in that area (apartments, condos and parking garages) who have been kept out of their homes and/or away from their cars and property for 5 days now with no word on when they're to be allowed back into the area. What a nightmare!

169October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:22 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

We have only one cable co., because we're such a small market. We have Cox Cable and have phone/Internet/Cable. The only extra channel we pay for is HBO but you know how they put everything in a package so if you don't want such and such channels, they're usually tied to a channel in a package you DO want. We tend to watch the same channels over and over -- and TCM is DEFINITELY a favorite around here, particularly for Brian. If there's nothing on there that he likes, he'll find something on TCM On Demand.

We also watch Bravo (mostly me but he watches now with me) and we're both in love with and watch a lot of the National Geographic channels. We love Life Below Zero, The Last Alaskans and shows of that ilk. We both really like all the national park specials they do and shows about the Amazon, various deserts, and the oceans. Fascinating and with drone photography today, the shots of wild animals they offer today are amazing.

We pay around $314 a month and I'm just about to call to see what they can do to cut some of that off our bill without getting rid of some channels we like. Brian's no good at this as whenever he calls to inquire about something, we end up with a NEW package ("it's only $5/month" is what he tells me but then he never asks for how long and how much after the promotional period is over).

New central A/C unit was installed upstairs yesterday so last night we finally slept in cool air again. What a miserable 4 nights -- natch it went out on a Friday -- especially the last two when the weather got hot again. I could've slept downstairs but I didn't want to leave Brian alone all night and he'll opt for the mattress anytime over A/C, whereas I'd choose the bed of nails in an air-conditioned room! Had no clue how expensive it was but when I saw how many pieces came down from the attic and how many new pieces went upstairs to the attic, I had a clue. Took 3 guys inside and outside of the house around 9 hours, though the outside guy definitely had the easier job. They were thrilled to be able to use the stairlift to get the heavy pieces up our steep rather narrow stairs to the second floor though. They did manage to bump a dirty piece they were removing from the attic against one of my new upholstered swivel chairs -- offwhite striped fabric. It's upholstered with Sunbrella performance fabric so it should come off easily. Told him I was too tired to attack it yesterday so he took a photo of what they did to show his boss. I'm pretty sure I can get it off tomorrow; if not, I will call a professional and I'm sure they will reimburse me but I can even put bleach on this fabric without effect so I'll tackle it tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I have nothing to worry about...

170October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:28 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Remember when TV was free?

171October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:We have only one cable co., because we're such a small market. We have Cox Cable and have phone/Internet/Cable. The only extra channel we pay for is HBO but you know how they put everything in a package so if you don't want such and such channels, they're usually tied to a channel in a package you DO want. We tend to watch the same channels over and over -- and TCM is DEFINITELY a favorite around here, particularly for Brian. If there's nothing on there that he likes, he'll find something on TCM On Demand.

We also watch Bravo (mostly me but he watches now with me) and we're both in love with and watch a lot of the National Geographic channels. We love Life Below Zero, The Last Alaskans and shows of that ilk. We both really like all the national park specials they do and shows about the Amazon, various deserts, and the oceans. Fascinating and with drone photography today, the shots of wild animals they offer today are amazing.

We pay around $314 a month and I'm just about to call to see what they can do to cut some of that off our bill without getting rid of some channels we like. Brian's no good at this as whenever he calls to inquire about something, we end up with a NEW package ("it's only $5/month" is what he tells me but then he never asks for how long and how much after the promotional period is over).

New central A/C unit was installed upstairs yesterday so last night we finally slept in cool air again. What a miserable 4 nights -- natch it went out on a Friday -- especially the last two when the weather got hot again. I could've slept downstairs but I didn't want to leave Brian alone all night and he'll opt for the mattress anytime over A/C, whereas I'd choose the bed of nails in an air-conditioned room! Had no clue how expensive it was but when I saw how many pieces came down from the attic and how many new pieces went upstairs to the attic, I had a clue. Took 3 guys inside and outside of the house around 9 hours, though the outside guy definitely had the easier job. They were thrilled to be able to use the stairlift to get the heavy pieces up our steep rather narrow stairs to the second floor though. They did manage to bump a dirty piece they were removing from the attic against one of my new upholstered swivel chairs -- offwhite striped fabric. It's upholstered with Sunbrella performance fabric so it should come off easily. Told him I was too tired to attack it yesterday so he took a photo of what they did to show his boss. I'm pretty sure I can get it off tomorrow; if not, I will call a professional and I'm sure they will reimburse me but I can even put bleach on this fabric without effect so I'll tackle it tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I have nothing to worry about...

I'd choose the bed of nails in an air-conditioned room!
Now, that is a winner of a statement.... I would be on a bed of nails also.... hahahahahahahaha

Congratulations on your new A/C system. Was the broken one very old?

172October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Remember when TV was free?

When we moved here in the valley of the Allamuchy and Musconetcong mountains..... The first thing tina said, was Get the tv hooked up.
So there I was, on the roof hooking up to the old antenna the people left abandoned.
Well..... I later found out from the neighbors, that my efforts were in vain.
They said we needed cable. I said BS. I hooked up the antenna, and we got 3 Philadelphia stations. Period! One was snowy no matter how I turned the antenna. We were P!$$ed when we called Storer Cable .... to hook us to cable. It was $29.00 a month, and we thought that was a rip off.

Then, I later, ran to Radio Shack, to buy those splitters and boosters; so we can have the bedroom and basement tv's hooked up.
Tina called for service call one day, and the guy cut out the cables and took my splitters. He said, if you want these back, I will have to report you for stealing cable tv. A $1,000.00 dollar fine. hahahahahahaha

Now....one can do whatever they want with this Comcast Xfinity. Customers can buy their own boxes and equipment.

173October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:44 am

NormM

NormM

When we got our first TV, there was only one channel. Later we got a second and then a third. I thought the extra channels were added because they gave them to you after you had the TV set for a period of time.  I didn't realize there was only one TV station in existence until another one came in and so on. I must have been about eight at the time. I didn't know about cable until I got out of the Army and moved to a small town that was out of range of the network broadcasting stations.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

174October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:50 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Does anyone know what kind of channels you get with those digital antennas? Do they work? I see infomercials about hooking one up to get free TV.

175October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 7 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugs, Dane sent away for one of those Clear TV Key.....you have to be within 25 miles of a television tower to have it work.

It doesn't work.

Just another time of "If it sounds too good to be true, it IS....."

LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum