Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Samosa Style Twice Baked Potatoes

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Samosa Style Twice Baked Potatoes Empty Samosa Style Twice Baked Potatoes Fri May 04, 2018 2:20 am

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

Samosa Style Twice Baked Potatoes

Adapted from a recipe from Veganomicon ( Isa Chandra Moskowitz)
A cross between a samosa and a twice-baked potato.  Samosa filling in a baked potato shell, healthier option than a deep fried pastry crust. Yummy.

2 large baking potatoes
1/4 cup heavy cream, vegetable stock, water, or liquid of your choice (I use 1/2 and ½)
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small carrot, cut into small cubes

1 small clove garlic, finely minced
1 to 2 fresh green chilies or jalapeños, seeded and minced (I use 2 serranos)
1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
(you can prep these together in food processor)

SPICE MIXTURE:
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2/3 teaspoons chat masala (If you don't have chat masala powder, you can substitute fresh lemon juice from one small lemon and add when the potatoes and peas are heated throughout in the frying pan)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
pinch of asafetida (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
olive oil

Scrub the potatoes, pierce them, and bake in a 400° oven for 1 hour or until fork tender. Remove from heat and let cool.

When the baked potatoes are cool, slice in half lengthwise and gently scoop out the center into a medium bowl, leaving a roughly 1/4-inch of the potato in the skin. Mash the scooped out potato with the ½ cup cream (or liquid of your choice.)

Rinse frozen peas in a strainer briefly. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds to the pan. Stir for 30 to 60 seconds or until the mustard seeds turn grey and begin to splutter and pop.

Now add the onions and carrots and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until the onion begins to brown. Add the garlic/chilies/ginger mixture to the pan and stir for 1 minute.
Add the spices mixture and stir for an additional minute.

Add a tablespoon of water to deglaze the pan, then add the mashed potatoes and stir until well mixed and warmed through. Add more liquid if the mixture seems too dry.  Stir in the peas. If you are adding lemon juice instead of chat masala, stir it in now. Remove from heat.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Brush the potato shells with some olive oil and transfer the mashed potato mixture into the shells with a large spoon, mounding slightly.

Bake the stuffed potatoes at 400° for 20 to 30 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned.

Serve hot, garnish with fresh chopped parsley or cilantro and finely chopped chives if desired. Chutney is also a nice accompaniment, if you have a favorite.

2Samosa Style Twice Baked Potatoes Empty Re: Samosa Style Twice Baked Potatoes Sun May 06, 2018 7:50 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Sounds delicious, MG! Sadly, Brian is not a potato fan so we rarely have them. But being a carb girl, I adore potatoes. I've found a couple of ways I can make them where he'll eat a little bit but then if I make them and he doesn't eat any or very little, that means I'm going to polish off the whole batch of whatever it is that I've made!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum