Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thanksgiving, 2016

+4
Bugster2
Crybaby
Imelda HL
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I might make both.

Always the peacemaker..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

27Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:15 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:OK, so I've been writing up my Thanksgiving 'Time-Line', notes so I don't forget anything.

Who else does a written schedule of what to do leading up to the 'Big Day' and what to do, when, on the day of the holiday?

I've been doing it for years, something I really rely on when all the confusion starts. It's especially helpful when I have others in the kitchen with me wanting to assist. They can see what comes next and help me get going on all the extras.

I did that when I was having a lot of people for sure. Now I make a menu list so I don't forget to make a dish (I've forgotten to make candied yams a couple of times and have forgotten to take my cranberry orange relish out of the fridge to serve it a couple of times). I also get out all of my serving dishes and put post-its in them so I remember what dish gets used for what.

Sadly, the dishwasher repairman didn't call Friday with good news about the part. We're rethinking making the entire turkey meal with possibly no dishwasher. Brian's back is pretty bad now, too, and after helping me shop, prep, and cook the meal on Thursday, it would be too much for him to clean up everything and wash the dishes too. We're thinking about switching our Christmas menu with our Thanksgiving menu so there would be less food (fewer dishes) and less clean up. We went out to eat years ago on Thanksgiving at my sister's urging, and we hated it so that's definitely off the table.

But a standing rib roast, my "Christmas Sauce" (made with beef broth, a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon and a bottle of Tawny Port, simmered and reduced to about 1 cup), roasted garlic mashed potatoes, stuffed tomatoes and hot cloverleaf rolls with garlic butter would be a menu a lot easier to throw together and would involve a lot less work. I could make the base for the sauce the day before and finish it when I have the rib roast drippings, have the potatoes peeled and ready to boil on Thursday, bread dough made and ready to rise on Thursday, and the stuffing made ahead for the tomatoes. I could serve a store-bought dessert too, considering the circumstances. We just have to warn my brother-in-law that the traditional turkey menu is off the table this year so he doesn't come expecting turkey.

I so look forward to turkey, oyster stuffing and too many side dishes so much but we're getting used to changing things when necessary as we've become plagued by physical ailments and broken appliances (last year the oven broke a week before Christmas!). Woe is me....

28Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Whatever meal you make, it'll be delicious. I'm of the ilk that every day can be Thanksgiving....I'm just grateful for waking up each morning!

29Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

I did that when I was having a lot of people for sure.  Now I make a menu list so I don't forget to make a dish (I've forgotten to make candied yams a couple of times and have forgotten to take my cranberry orange relish out of the fridge to serve it a couple of times).  I also get out all of my serving dishes and put post-its in them so I remember what dish gets used for what.  

Sadly, the dishwasher repairman didn't call Friday with good news about the part.  We're rethinking making the entire turkey meal with possibly no dishwasher.  Brian's back is pretty bad now, too, and after helping me shop, prep, and cook the meal on Thursday, it would be too much for him to clean up everything and wash the dishes too.  We're thinking about switching our Christmas menu with our Thanksgiving menu so there would be less food (fewer dishes) and less clean up.  We went out to eat years ago on Thanksgiving at my sister's urging, and we hated it so that's definitely off the table.  

But a standing rib roast, my "Christmas Sauce" (made with beef broth, a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon and a bottle of Tawny Port,  simmered and reduced to about 1 cup), roasted garlic mashed potatoes,  stuffed tomatoes and hot cloverleaf rolls with garlic butter would be a menu a lot easier to throw together and would involve a lot less work.  I could make the base for the sauce the day before and finish it when I have the rib roast drippings, have the potatoes peeled and ready to boil on Thursday, bread dough made and ready to rise on Thursday, and the stuffing made ahead for the tomatoes.  I could serve a store-bought dessert too, considering the circumstances.  We just have to warn my brother-in-law that the traditional turkey menu is off the table this year so he doesn't come expecting turkey.  

I so look forward to turkey, oyster stuffing and too many side dishes so much but we're getting used to changing things when necessary as we've become plagued by physical ailments and broken appliances (last year the oven broke a week before Christmas!).  Woe is me....

Michelle - just came across this and thought it might solve the problem.....

http://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/new-orleans-restaurants-offer-take-out-dishes-thanksgiving

30Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:18 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

We just got back from helping out the Thanksgiving dinner for the lass fortunate people at our church.. oh my.. plenty of foods.. I counted there was 5 cooked turkey, lots of side dish and dessert.. people are really helping out... I stick with my plan, I cooked cheesy green bean casserole and pumpkin with walnut topping.. they were good, we tried  some last night ( I cooked in small batches for us )

Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 DSCN2966

Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 DSCN2957

I topped my pumpkin puree with cracker crumbs, chopped walnut, brown sugar and load of butter

Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 DSCN2955

Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 DSCN2963

31Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, boy, those look DELICIOUS, Imelda!

Doesn't it feel good to be part of such a wonderful giving group? Good for you!

32Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina was up at the church helping prep the food to be cooked for the less fortunate (poor ).
Plus they put bags of food together for pick up to cook by the people that have kitchens.
You don't have to prove salary income to receive the food. Just sign up on the list. Period!

33Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:38 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tina is another of our friends who always seems to find the time in her week to assist....Bless her!

34Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:30 pm

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

Thank heavens I'm not cooking the dinner this year! Our 2nd oldest daughter Jen, is having the dinner at her house, and on that day she's smoking a turkey in her smoker. She's also making the stuffing (not sure if it's wild rice stuffing), and she's cooking whole cranberries, but I'm not sure what else she's preparing. Jen asked the rest of us to bring desserts.

I'm making an Apple Cream Cheese Pie
Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 001  
a Pumpkin Pie, and a Pistachio Dessert.

35Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sounds like a plan to me! A surplus of desserts is a key component to any successful family get together!

36Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:54 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I feel so bad for Tina, the pie maker. She was here making the 6 pumpkin pies, and in between....playing attention, and hootchie cootchie to the baby Liam. She put the pies in the oven to bake, and while reading the recipe to make the sweet potato pie, she sees the ingredient canned cream, and #@$%#^%$ She said, "Oh NOooooo!" "I forgot to add the canned cream in the pumpkin pie filling!" ... Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 2787578702 No No

37Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:51 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Tina has my sympathy. My pecan pie was a total loss.

Dinner at my sister's wasn't any better. I barely ate dinner because I wasn't feeling great. Then I went outside for air, went to the car for a nausea med and on the way back in to my sister's house, I got the dry heaves and was hanging over the bushes. I tell Katie and Joe we have to go 'cause I was sick. On the way out the door, Mike my BIL gets a call from a neighbor telling him that some drunk was getting sick in the bushes. I don't drink. I was just sick.

38Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:45 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Tina has my sympathy. My pecan pie was a total loss.

Dinner at my sister's wasn't any better. I barely ate dinner because I wasn't feeling great. Then I went outside for air, went to the car for a nausea med and on the way back in to my sister's house, I got the dry heaves and was hanging over the bushes. I tell Katie and Joe we have to go 'cause I was sick. On the way out the door, Mike my BIL gets a call from a neighbor telling him that some drunk was getting sick in the bushes. I don't drink. I was just sick.

Oh dear! ..... It's a bxxch when the stomach causes sickness.
Tina had a bout with her stomach yesterday all day. Pain in the back, and then she threw up liquid. After that, she felt better.

She made two pecan pies for the first time. The timer went off, and I got blamed that I didn't tell her it wrang. Like hello, all the phones and beepers in today's society, and I'm supposed to be the bell keeper / ringer / and notifier!!!? .... The pie is hard as candy. The center is ok, but the edges are really brown. Tasty though!

39Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love doing the prep for Thanksgiving ~ it's my favorite holiday!

I got our traditional family jello salad made: Cabbage, shredded carrots, crushed pineapple and orange jello. Most people gag at the thought but our holiday wouldn't be complete without it!

Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 IMG_20161123_085811579_HDR

Then I made Grandma's '5-Ingredient' salad: Equal amounts of mandarin oranges, pineapple tidbits, sweetened shredded coconut, mini marshmallows and sour cream. It has to sit overnight for everything to meld together.

Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 IMG_20161123_090603689_HDR

Then, since we're celebrating in 'The South' I thought I should make a Southern staple, Heavenly Hash: Cooked white rice, crushed pineapple, mini marshmallows and maraschieno cherries. Tomorrow it will get mixed with a good amount of whipped cream.

Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 IMG_20161123_092136915_HDR

Then I sauteed my onion & celery and mixed it into my Pepperidge Farms Herb Stuffing cubes. Tomorrow I'll add a couple eggs and some turkey stock, put it into a casserole dish and bake off so it gets nice and crusty around the edges.

Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 IMG_20161123_103900162

I cheated this year and just bought my pie crusts. Ever since they made Crisco 'better' I haven't been able to make a decent crust. Well, once or twice I got an 'OK' one, but I just didn't think it was anything anyone would notice. So, I have my pumpkin pie in the oven.....I'm thinking of going to the store for a can of Comstock cherry pie filling (to mix with a jar of cherries in juice that I have in the pantry) and using the second crust in the package to make a cherry 'crostada'.

When my pie(s) come out of the oven I'll try to remember to take a pic of them.....

40Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Deep dish pumpkin pie....My usual family recipe usually makes 3 - 9" pies but I cut it back and just made one deep dish pie this year.

Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 IMG_20161123_120828645_HDR

41Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

She made two pecan pies for the first time. The timer went off, and I got blamed that I didn't tell her it wrang. Like hello, all the phones and beepers in today's society, and I'm supposed to be the bell keeper / ringer / and notifier!!!? .... The pie is hard as candy. The center is ok, but the edges are really brown. Tasty though!

Oh, poor Tina. I would be crying. I can't tell you how much easier it is to bake / cook with no one else in my kitchen getting in my way or distracting me.

That's why I'm trying to get 80% of the prep work done today in my kitchen. I don't even want to think about what a confused mess it will be with kids and extras milling around the kitchen tomorrow at my sister-in-law's. Between the granddaughter who sits and plays games on her phone all day, her 18 month old, two dogs, three cats and 'getting-in-the-way' adults that just irritate the $hit out of me.....I'll probably blow a gasket! LOL

42Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cherry Crostada done.....a few years ago I 'got smart' and used a pie pan as a form for my one crust crostada, using a piece of parchment between the pie pan and the crust. Then, when it's cool I can easily slip it on to a pretty plate and drizzle it with a powdered sugar glaze.

Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 IMG_20161123_125455912_HDR

My apple slices that will fill my puff pasty apple strudel tomorrow are pre-cooked in a bit of butter, brown sugar and spiced/colored with some cinnamon red hot candies that melt down when heated with the apples.

Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 IMG_20161123_131056355_HDR

So, now my cooking is done for today. Can't wait for tomorrow!

43Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:49 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

I have not been cooking, but I have been cleaning, washing a lot of stuff.. I am not going out today because it is too crazy! I think my white potatoes will still be good for Friday. I am not going out that day either.. that is the day "I" will be cooking my own belated T-day!

Today I tackled the bathroom, top to bottom, including rugs, shower curtain and liner..and towels...
dusted the furniture a bit, vacuumed, and had a disaster with the paper shredder.
it grabbed too many papers from my hand, and the dusting cloth, and got jammed!!

reminder to self: Never have a hand full of papers while stuffing a few in the shredder and never have a dust cloth in your hand while doing so!  Mad  Mad
It took me 45 minutes to get rid of the jam!! Trusty old small screwdriver and needle nosed pliers to the rescue!! only one cut on my finger from the shredder, even better!! Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 1450907917

I was not about to go out, fighting the crowds for a paper shredder, unless I had to.. they cost enough!

Now on my 5th load of laundry... going to relax...

I have to go to church tonight for the T-day service. I never did, nor did I intend to; but I made a deal with God!!! "If I was able to fix the paper shredder, then I would be good and go to church tonight"....guess I gotta go!!!

I am pooped! I am too old for all this cleaning stuff..

I really want to have an alcoholic drink, but it will have to wait until I return from Church.. It will 'warm' me up!!!Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 829809188

Tomorrow I am driving over an hour, more like hour and a half, to my cousin's for Dinner. She eats late, and it will be a long, long, day...

That is another reason why I am staying in on Friday and cooking for myself! My own favorite T-day foods...

Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone!!
 gobble gobble Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 911454047

44Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOW! You've used up enough energy for a month, Cyn!

Fortunately for me, Mr. Amazing is 150% BETTER at cleaning than I am. He knows if I'm in the kitchen all day he'd better find something to amuse himself with......and the vacuum is the perfect thing to keep him busy. He's pretty good at dusting, too!

DD#2, Grandson and Huckleberry the Wonder Hound are coming for a few days. She's driving down and will meet us at her Aunt's for the Thanksgiving meal, then stay for Thursday night through Sunday before driving back. This is the first time she'll make the trip with the dog.....hoping he'll do OK on the long ride. Jacob is SO excited to be coming, even if it's just for a few days. He's already asked for Beef Stir-fry and Pork/Sauerkraut & Spaetzle while they're here. I assured him I could handle it.....oh, and his 'usual' breakfast of a dippy egg, hard egg and toast with the crusts cut off! LOL

45Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:51 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My stomach hurts today. Not my usual stuff but the kind of pain that comes with a stomach virus. That is why I got sick and that is prolly why I had the chills all day long and could not get warm. Some bug I caught. My gut isn't bothering me enough so I can't cook or have people over, thank goodness. Today I made a pot of soup for dinner. My husband does not like soup. He wants a meal he can sink his teeth into. I told him he had a heavy meal last night and is going to have a heavy meal tomorrow so I want him to have a light meal tonight. Chopped all the veggies and that is as far as I have gone.

46Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:19 pm

NormM

NormM

Bet better Bugster. I have the challah, pumpkin cheese cake and cranberry chutney all done. Today I cleaned the oven. It was the first time it had been done and it needed it and how. When I was baking the bread, it was smoking because of all the crud on the bottom.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

47Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Last time I cleaned my oven I used the spray bottle of Krud Kutter Crybaby recommended. It does a great job of cutting through the grease build up. I also love it for my stainless steel grill (the outside). I just give it a spray all over, slosh around some soapy water and then spray it off with the garden hose. When it dries in the sunshine it looks like new.

The grates on the inside, however, require gloves and a lot of scraping......but it looks good when I'm done!

48Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:02 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Beth, Krud Kutter is good for oven cleaning??? Wow!! much better than Easy-Off oven cleaner or the "
clean oven" cycle on the stove....

Good to know!

49Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup! Just don't heat your oven. Spray. Let it sit. Wipe out. Rinse well. (I use vinegar water)

Some spots don't come up ~ well, they probably would if I used a little more elbow grease, but it's good enough for me. Love that stuff....especially since it doesn't stink and doesn't burn your hands.

50Thanksgiving, 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving, 2016 Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:13 pm

NormM

NormM

I went down the aisle of cleaners and didn't seen any oven cleaner, i turned around and went down again and only found one can of oven cleaner in the store today I mean ONE can. There were not any other cans of any brand or any more of that one. It made me cough and cough when i sprayed it on. Clean Touch brand. I never heard of it before.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum