Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Recipes for mac and cheese???

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Recipes for mac and cheese??? Empty Recipes for mac and cheese??? Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:06 pm

Niagara Visitor

I've been doing some cooking for son's inlaws lately. His mother-in-law is not well, so I've pitched in a few times. Apparently they love mac and cheese, I made it once in my life almost 50 years ago and haven't found a recipe that appeals to me in my cookbooks.

Looking for a tried and true recipe, she can't eat very spicy. HELP! Smile

2Recipes for mac and cheese??? Empty Re: Recipes for mac and cheese??? Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:24 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

What about cheese? I have recipe I have used for 20 years..great  cheeses.

Last edited by Barbara101 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

3Recipes for mac and cheese??? Empty Re: Recipes for mac and cheese??? Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:30 pm

Niagara Visitor

What about cheese? Yes, she eats cheese, so please post a recipe.

4Recipes for mac and cheese??? Empty Re: Recipes for mac and cheese??? Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:27 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Ok will do .

5Recipes for mac and cheese??? Empty Re: Recipes for mac and cheese??? Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:50 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

350`oven. butter 2qt dish..

melt 5tables butter in saucepan.
stir in 1/4cup flour.
slowly add 2 1/2cup milk
stir till creamy barely thick.

whisk in 5oz gorgonzola
whisk in 5oz grated fontina
pinch nutmeg
salt/pepper
remover from heat

1lb ziti or noodles cooked.

add cheese sauce.
add 4oz mozzarella
place in baking dish.

top with 4oz parm.
bake 40 minutes. serves 4.

6Recipes for mac and cheese??? Empty Re: Recipes for mac and cheese??? Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:24 am

Niagara Visitor

Thanks, sounds great for me, I don't think that Anne would like the gorgonzola, but that can be changed out for something a little milder.

7Recipes for mac and cheese??? Empty Re: Recipes for mac and cheese??? Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:43 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

You are welcome . I happen to like the blue flavor . It is the first thing you will taste too lol

Maybe a cheap blu will not be as strong . Brands of blu are very different from each other

I know one thing , for me , I do not like cheese product made mac and cheese .

8Recipes for mac and cheese??? Empty Re: Recipes for mac and cheese??? Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:26 am

NormM

NormM

For what it's worth, here is one I copied recently. Not sure I'll ever try it but here it is in case you see something in it you might like to use.

Slow cooked Triple Cheddar Mac & Cheese from Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen copied Sept 2014

You'll need:
2 cups dry elbow macaroni
1 can [12 oz] evaporated milk
1 can [10 3/4 oz] cheddar cheese soup
8 oz sour cream
1/2 cup [1 stick] butter, melted
3 large eggs
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp white pepper [or black pepper to your taste]
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups of triple cheddar cheese, divided [I used Kraft Triple Cheddar]

Directions:
Set your slow cooker on the low setting, and spray the inside with cooking spray. Parboil the macaroni in salted water for 6 minutes then drain well before adding to the slow cooker.

While the macaroni is cooking, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together, the melted butter/margarine, evaporated milk, cheddar cheese soup, sour cream, eggs and seasonings. We like black pepper and white pepper alike in this macaroni and cheese, it's fine to go with your preference.

After 6 minutes, drain the macaroni and add it to your preheated slow cooker. Pour the sauce on top, along with 3 cups of shredded triple cheddar cheese.

Stir all of the ingredients together until the macaroni is coated and the sauce is evenly distributed. In my slow cooker, it's only necessary to stir this once, so, make a special effort to stir the sauce and cheese well at the beginning.

Cook on low for 2 hours, then remove the lid and check the middle for doneness. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Replace the lid and continue to cook for another 15 minutes to allow the cheese to melt. 13K+

Keep warm until serving. Yield: 8-10 servings

Cook's note:
This recipe will also work in your conventional oven. Changes: Cook the macaroni until al dente on top of the stove, then mix together with 3 cups of shredded cheese and the combined sauce. Pour into a buttered 8 x 12 inch baking dish and top with the remaining cheese. Dot the top with butter. Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes until golden.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

9Recipes for mac and cheese??? Empty Re: Recipes for mac and cheese??? Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:53 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I made slow cooker once . But seems time I added the noodles uncooked right in . A million recipes for Mac and cheese .

10Recipes for mac and cheese??? Empty Re: Recipes for mac and cheese??? Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:55 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Sorry. Auto correct lol. To me.

11Recipes for mac and cheese??? Empty Re: Recipes for mac and cheese??? Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:13 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have never heard of triple cheddar cheese. I have never seen it out here.

12Recipes for mac and cheese??? Empty Re: Recipes for mac and cheese??? Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:26 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

It is a bag of mixed chedders .

13Recipes for mac and cheese??? Empty Re: Recipes for mac and cheese??? Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:23 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

So, it is the pre-grated cheese?

14Recipes for mac and cheese??? Empty Re: Recipes for mac and cheese??? Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:37 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

yes but you can buy chunks and grate it yourself ,I guess..

15Recipes for mac and cheese??? Empty Re: Recipes for mac and cheese??? Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:02 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I don't use a recipe to make macaroni and cheese but usually just make a couple of cups of béchamel sauce with butter, flour and milk, add about a cup of grated cheddar cheese to it and once the cheese melts, I'll add some pasta that's been undercooked slightly (not quite al dente).  Just heat it up some which allows the pasta room to heat up without getting soft and mushy, adjust seasoning (salt and pepper) and you can either serve from the pan as is or put it in a baking pan and bake it in the oven.  If baking, I usually add some buttered bread crumbs to the top prior to baking.  You could do that and cover your casserole dish with aluminum foil and send it with your son; his in-laws could just pop it in the oven at about 325-350F to reheat for about 20 minutes or so,  I'd guess.

I figure they don't want fancy but I sometimes add some Parmesan or Romano to the béchamel in addition to the cheddar.  Also, I like sharp cheese so I use sharp or extra sharp cheddar but if she's been ill, it's probably better not to use the sharp.  Once the cheese melts into the béchamel sauce, if you think it could be cheesier, add another 1/2 cup of grated cheddar.  

That's all it really is, Lori.

Forgot, I usually add about a half a teaspoon of ground mustard to the béchamel when adding the cheese.  Gives it a nice flavor...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum