Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

ok since cabbage is so cheap right now.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1ok since cabbage is so cheap right now. Empty ok since cabbage is so cheap right now. Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:31 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

has anyone made kraut?

NormM

NormM

My aunt made it while she was alive. I helped once but all I did was chop cabbage and watch her layer it with salt in a 5 gal. crock. After it fermented, the canned it and gave me a couple of jars. I used to use it to make Rueben sandwiches. It was so good.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

JanaAZ

I haven't made it but I know it's easy. Cabbage is 4 lbs for $1 this week so I think this will be when I make it. I want to can it, and my jars are all up in Prescott. Also my large crocs are in Prescott too, so I guess i'll have to buy stuff down in phx. We use a lot of sauerkraut here so I think it would be something fun to do.

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's a process. I didn't like spooning the "moldy" fermenting bubbly stuff off the top. Seemed really gross to me but I guess it's fairly normal, depending upon the temperature. Grandma use to keep her crocks of fermenting cabbage down in the cool "fruit cellar" but the stink still made it upstairs to the rest of the house......

But, like Norm said, it really is good tasting.

Barbara101

Barbara101

stink?? oh good heavens I already have a cat box & poopers who are paper trained.  affraid pale Crying or Very sad Shocked do I need more stink nope....

bethk

bethk
Admin

ah, but the good thing is when you make sauerkraut, if you leave it in your kitchen, the stench will overcome every OTHER stink and you won't notice the other stuff....

ok since cabbage is so cheap right now. 2876911673 

Barbara101

Barbara101

ok since cabbage is so cheap right now. 2737772972 ok since cabbage is so cheap right now. 2876911673 

JanaAZ

So my sauerkraut has been fermenting for about a week. It already smells like sauerkraut and is starting to taste really good. I think I'm going to buy a few more heads and make some more. I wish I hadn't thrown out the large bottles a few weeks ago. I could really use them right now.

ok since cabbage is so cheap right now. Downlo14

Right now the sauerkraut is in the brine in a large corningware pan. It is covered with large cabbage leaves, a plate and a bag of water to weigh things down. I put plastic wrap lightly on top to allow it to ferment. I will probably leave it a few more weeks before I bottle it up.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum