Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Ouch! Emergency room visit turns to surgery

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Ouch! Emergency room visit turns to surgery on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:25 am

LisaSD

avatar
I have NEVER felt pain like I did Monday morning at 1 AM when I had pain on my left side. Hubby drove me to the Emergency room and it seemed like the longest 15 minute ride of my life. Pain worse than childbirth (but the breathing exercises I learned so long ago sure came in handy to handle the pain!)

A quick check-in at Balboa Naval Hospital, quick stop in ER on the way to get a CAT scan and they discover kidney stones in both kidneys. Surgery yesterday, another one will be done next week and a third one will be done the following week. OK, no one is getting Christmas gifts this year!

So bummed because we had a nice vacation planned starting Saturday to go to Tucson.

bethk

avatar
Admin
Oh, Lisa! What a crummy start to the holidays. I'm so sorry. I've never had anything like that but I understand it's awful.

I'm glad you found out what the problem is and it's going to be taken care of.....good thoughts for a quick recovery coming your way!

JanaAZ


Oh no, that's awful. I wish you a very speedy recovery. Tucson will be there when you get better. It's cold there right now anyway, so it'll be nicer in March anyway.

Crybaby

avatar
My goodness, Lisa, I'm so sorry you are having to go through all those surgeries.

But, on another note, your new avatar is adorable. You look so cute!

I hope you feel better real soon!
--Michelle

cookingirl

avatar
Ouch, Lisa...Sad 
So painful...never had a kidney stone but they say the pain is similar to childbirth!
Ouchy!!
take the pain meds and get well soon!
((hugs))

Bugster2

avatar
I had the same thing happen to me except for the surgery. I awoke at 1AM with the worst pain I had ever had in my left side. I threw-up because it made me sick. We went to the ER but it took 6 hours before a doctor could see me. By that time the stone had passed. I feel for you. It is terrible. Hope you heal fast.

NormM

avatar
I had one that was too big to pass and they operated with a sound machine that broke it up into tiny pieces.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Niagara Visitor


Ouch! My mother called me once in the middle of the night, maybe 30 years ago. Asked if I could bring her some Alka Selzer because she had a terrible stomach ache. When I got there, she was doubled over with pain. She was in her jammies, housecoat and slippers. I put her in the car, drove to the emerg. She complained of course that it wasn't necessary. I said if you have me drive 20 miles in the middle of the night, it's necessary! Yup, she had kidney stones, but passed them in about 24 hours. They were only like a grain of rice, and excruciating pain.

Take care of yourself. The Christmas presents can wait till next year also!

LisaSD

avatar
Yeah, well unfortunately, these are no grains of rice Niagara...they said the one in the right kidney is about the size of a ping-pong ball.  They call it a Staghorn stone because it has little fingers like a staghorn fern.  They will have to come in through my back and remove it that way.  Yuck!

The surgery on Monday was to place stents in both kidneys to drain the infection.  They will remove the one stone on the left through the stent because it is too big to pass naturally and of course, the ping-pong sized one on the right is a real pain to break up and remove.  NOT looking forward to any of it.

Bugster2

avatar
Sounds terrible! Both kidneys! I wonder what caused them to form? I would hate to have a repeat.

11 Re: Ouch! Emergency room visit turns to surgery on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:28 am

Niagara Visitor


Oh My God! The size of a ping pong ball! But, we have to look at it this way, 50 years ago there probably would not have been anything to do about it, so take care of yourself and let the doctors do what they are trained to do.

It surely is scary what can happen to this body of ours, right?

bethk

avatar
Admin
Kickin' up the super good thoughts to send your way, Lisa.....

stay strong.

wish I could do more to make it all go away.

((hugs))

Imelda HL

avatar
LisaSD wrote:I have NEVER felt pain like I did Monday morning at 1 AM when I had pain on my left side.  Hubby drove me to the Emergency room and it seemed like the longest 15 minute ride of my life.  Pain worse than childbirth (but the breathing exercises I learned so long ago sure came in handy to handle the pain!)

A quick check-in at Balboa Naval Hospital, quick stop in ER on the way to get a CAT scan and they discover kidney stones in both kidneys.  Surgery yesterday, another one will be done next week and a third one will be done the following week.  OK, no one is getting Christmas gifts this year!

So bummed because we had a nice vacation planned starting Saturday to go to Tucson.  
ouch.. Lisa.. I hope you have a smooth surgery and get well soon..

LisaSD

avatar
As if it wasn't bad enough recovering from surgery...now I have to deal with a case of painful SHINGLES! That is a virus that lives in you dormant after having chicken pox as a kid...brought to the surface from stress. (Yes, that emergency room visit was stressful!)

This is so painful (back shoulderblade) and there is NO relief from the piercing pain. I'm sure I'll hear that one of you has had them or know someone who had it. Just a horrible experience...let me tell you!

Bugster2

avatar
They now have a shingles vaccine. I plan to get one.

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
LisaSD wrote:As if it wasn't bad enough recovering from surgery...now I have to deal with a case of painful SHINGLES!  That is a virus that lives in you dormant after having chicken pox as a kid...brought to the surface from stress.  (Yes, that emergency room visit was stressful!)

This is so painful (back shoulderblade) and there is NO relief from the piercing pain.  I'm sure I'll hear that one of you has had them or know someone who had it.  Just a horrible experience...let me tell you!

oh Lisa.... Tina and i pray for your shingles to pass quickly. There is no pain greater than the shingles.

My mom had them; her sister, and her BIL. They are so piercing, that my aunt could wear nothing but a slip, and even that was painful.

I will probably not get them. I never contacted the chicken pox virus, which they say, is the virus left in the blood that triggers shingles.
My brother had the chicken pox, and so were my kids, and I must have been immune to the virus.

Anyway... Lisa, get better soon, and God bless!

NormM

avatar
My mom had it. I got the vaccine last year.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

avatar
My MIL had it and was on Vicodin for months. Ugly, ugly purple band across her ribs. A friend of mine just got a case across the bottom of her foot. She can hardly walk. I feel for you. When it rains it pours.

bethk

avatar
Admin
Oh, dear, Lisa....

wish I could snap my fingers and make it all go away.

I hope it passes quickly....I've heard it's a bear. Is there any possibility vodka could help, for even a short time?

20 Re: Ouch! Emergency room visit turns to surgery on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:30 am

cookingirl

avatar
Lisa, I really do feel for you.
I have came down with shingles also. I know this rash is it. It is so big, painful, burning, stinging pain.
Mine is from the spine around my waist to my belly button. I originally thought I scratched myself, but it has gotten worse. I am waiting to see my doctor today...
any tips, let me know..
xx00

21 Re: Ouch! Emergency room visit turns to surgery on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:58 am

Bugster2

avatar
I think there is a drug that shortens the time you have it.

22 Re: Ouch! Emergency room visit turns to surgery on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:54 am

Barbara101

avatar
well let me tell you,that trying to get the vaccine is a nightmare.First I was told by lots of people that medicare will not pay for it.It is VERY VERY $$$ .Then I hear,, oh yes they will now. I can get it with a dr's script.Yet no Dr I go to will give me the script.I have to go to a GP.yah right ,like I need another Dr.I have 5 already.I called around,they ask what is the problem?I tell them I need the script.They say oh we don't that,you have to have a medical reason for the appt. Evil or Very Mad I even asked when I went to a walk in emergency center.Nope .
So I have been walking around on egg shells praying I don't get it.My Mom had it 2 times.

23 Re: Ouch! Emergency room visit turns to surgery on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:35 pm

JanaAZ


Barbara101 wrote:well let me tell you,that trying to get the vaccine is a nightmare.First I was told  by lots of people that medicare will not pay for it.It is VERY VERY $$$ .Then I hear,, oh yes they will now. I can get it with a dr's script.Yet no Dr I go to will give me the script.I have to go to a GP.yah right ,like I need another Dr.I have 5 already.I called around,they ask what is the problem?I tell them I need the script.They say oh we don't that,you have to have a medical reason for the appt. Evil or Very Mad I even asked when I went to a walk in emergency center.Nope .
So I have been walking around on egg shells praying I don't get it.My Mom had it 2 times.

Barb...our grocery stores here offer it. I've seen it at Safeway and Fry's (our Kroger). My doctor suggested I get it but we've been trying to find out if it's made on eggs like the flu vaccine is. Can't take that.

Why don't you call the pharmacy at your grocery store. I think I saw it was $15 here.

24 Re: Ouch! Emergency room visit turns to surgery on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Barbara101

avatar
I can get it at Walgreens or Publix grocery store BUT they require a doc script.That is the problem I am having. PIA..

Crybaby

avatar
I, too, have had shingles (last fall).  Extremely painful and at some of the worst times, you feel like you're losing your mind, as the pain is that bad.  It's ugly as all get out, too!  

Brian tried to get the vaccine as well.  His insurance wouldn't pay for it.  I think it was $260 if I remember correctly.  His internist told him about six months ago that insurance was now covering it.  Shortly thereafter, he retired and is now on Medicare.  I'm going to have to remind him to see if his internist will write a Rx for it now.

I'm so sorry you have to go thru this, Lisa!

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum