Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Storing bacon when it's just one person....

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I looked in my refrigerator this morning and realized I had opened a package of bacon the other day and had not put it into the freezer. With the high cost of bacon (I can seldom find it here for less than $5/lb) I hate to waste it. And, let's face it ~ I should NOT eat a lot of it. Usually I will cook one piece and use it as a "seasoning" garnish on dish.

So, here's how I store it:

I separate the slices on a long strip of plastic wrap, leaving a space between every 4 slices or so. When I have all the slices laid out so they are not touching I cover with another piece of the wrap.

Storing bacon when it's just one person.... Bacon1

Then I "fold" the wrapped slices so they stay flat and place on one of my 1/4 sheet pans which will be placed in the freezer.

Storing bacon when it's just one person.... Bacon2

When the bacon is frozen I'll kind of fold into a smaller package and wrap in foil for freezer storage. I use the plastic wrap and foil repeatedly (until I think it's served it's purpose long enough). Whenever I want a piece or two of bacon it's easy to remove and I have not allowed an open package to go bad and have to be tossed.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Pretty clever. Unfortunately, we don't have any problem using up a package of bacon. I thought that was a pretty high price you pay for it, Beth. We can hardly find bacon in 1-lb. packages anymore, as most of them come in 12 oz. packages. It's usually about $3.79 (sometimes less on sale) but that pretty much translates to the same price you're paying!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was use to getting bacon at home (Ohio) priced 2 for $5 when on a good sale.

The most difficult thing I've had to adjust to here in The Villages is the price of food/groceries and the fact of only finding the quality of meat (for the most part) similar to what our Ohio beef, pork and poultry was - at Sam's Club. Of course, I happen to have a Costco membership....figures! And the closest Costco is a good 1-1/2 hour drive from here. Fortunately, my good friend has a Sam's Club membership so when I do want to get some good beef I'll go with her. And I love their baby back ribs in the 3/pack. I want a freezer! (whining....gotta stop!)

Barbara101

Barbara101

PUBLIX>>> FRESH MARKET>>>

Crybaby

Crybaby

Brian's parents used to have a summer home in FL and we too found the grocery prices much higher than we were used to. I had to laugh, as they obviously catered to older singles or older couples with small portions. I rremember seeing a single onion in his mother's kitchen wrapped in shrink wrap with a price tag on it. I laughed, as when we buy onions, we usually get two bags of 'em!

By the way, N.O. is getting a Costco! I can't wait mainly because of listening to you guys about the store. I think it will open at the start of next year. It's not terribly close to us but it's probably just a 10 of 12-mile round trip. Now if only we could get a Trader Joe's. We're a foodie town for sure, but our population is a lot smaller since Katrina so I guess we're not the best match. They're also building another Whole Food store in the city which is a lot closer and in a less congested area than the one currently in N.O. It's nice to have one closer when you need a really odd or a really good ingredient (like perhaps Greek feta in brine).

bethk

bethk
Admin

We have about 6 or more Publix in The Villages area...seems like everywhere I look I see their sign. But each store is different in the layout and (ahem) cleanliness.... I've been doing a lot of my package goods shopping (canned goods, coffee, dairy) at a Wynn Dixie that is very convenient. I can't purchase anything much from their open-air displays because I look too closely at the display stands. Sometimes I try to guess how long it's been since they were broken down and sanitized.....ewwwwww.

If I don't go to Sam's for meats, I'll go to Fresh Market. But what I'd really love to find is a clean fresh seafood market. Keep your fingers crossed I can locate one! I drive around with a cooler in my back seat ~ just in case! lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum