Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cherry Turnovers

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cherry Turnovers Empty Cherry Turnovers Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, no talent doesn't mean you can't have "home made" sweets....as long as you determine something baked in your oven is "home made"....

Easy Peasy with a package of puff pastry and a can of cherry pie filling. Baked at 400° for 16 minutes.

Cherry Turnovers 092013snack

Cherry Turnovers 092013CherryTrnovers

2Cherry Turnovers Empty Re: Cherry Turnovers Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:34 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

beautiful cherry turnovers Beth.. fluffy and flaky.. what brand of puff pastry did you use?

3Cherry Turnovers Empty Re: Cherry Turnovers Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:32 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Pepperidge Farms....that stuff is too easy!

4Cherry Turnovers Empty Re: Cherry Turnovers Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:12 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Pepperidge Farms....that stuff is too easy!
I agree. I always have the sheets and the shells in the freezer. They make it so easy to jazz something up.

I made homemade chicken pot pies a while back in a low casserole dish and covered the top with puff pastry. Not only was it good, but it was really pretty, too.

5Cherry Turnovers Empty Re: Cherry Turnovers Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:04 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

I made homemade chicken pot pies a while back in a low casserole dish and covered the top with puff pastry.  Not only was it good, but it was really pretty, too.  
I just remembered how I use to make the creamed chicken mixture and freeze in zip bags in the freezer.  Then I would cut and bake the puff pastry, egg washed & sprinkled with s&p, frozen separately.  If the girls wanted a quick meal it was easy to thaw in the microwave, put into a little individual gratin dish, top with one of the baked pastry tops and crisp up under the broiler.

Or, often times, they would reheat the chicken pie mixture and put over reheated biscuits or toast. They both loved the Stouffer's frozen chicken pot pies, where I got the idea for the baked puff pasty toppers. I figured out the secret to the Stouffer sauce was some chicken soup base in the cream sauce. Never had to pay for another expensive frozen pot pie after that discovery.

6Cherry Turnovers Empty Re: Cherry Turnovers Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:55 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

I made some plum cobbler yesterday after making stuffed bell peppers.  It really turned out well.

I saw a local grocery chain last week had something called "plumcots" on sale -- supposedly a blend of plums and apricots.  Sounded good to me so I planned on a cobbler and asked Brian to pick up abou 1-1/2 lbs. of them.  He couldn't find them in the produce section so an employee took him over to the plums.  I had to laugh as when you advertise something, make sure your employees know it.  I think they're regular plums but they were really nice and sweet -- so I don't know what the hell kind of cobbler I made, but it was delicious.  

It wasn't as hot as it has been so while Brian used the Weber grill like an oven to cook the stuffed peppers (mmm, with pecan wood), I used the oven to cook the cobbler.  I'm not really much of a baker and rarely make desserts, so Brian was going crazy while the cobbler cooked and the smell drove him crazy.  It was cute!

Last edited by Crybaby on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

7Cherry Turnovers Empty Re: Cherry Turnovers Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've made Ina's plum tart thing before - yummy. Never thought to use plums for a cobbler - always used peaches. Gotta give that a try one of these days.

8Cherry Turnovers Empty Re: Cherry Turnovers Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:03 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I've made Ina's plum tart thing before - yummy.  Never thought to use plums for a cobbler - always used peaches.  Gotta give that a try one of these days.
It was really good, B.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum