Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cherry-Nectarine Pandowdy

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cherry-Nectarine Pandowdy Empty Cherry-Nectarine Pandowdy Tue May 29, 2018 6:50 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Cherry-Nectarine Pandowdy Pandow10

The picture of this in Southern Living looked not only delicious but pretty, too. The squares of dough scattered across the top make it look so much prettier than other pandowdys I've seen before. Love desserts with fruit and a cherry/nectarine mix sounded so good that I had to copy this one.  

As far as the name, a pandowdy is essentially cooked fruit underneath a layer of pastry. A fork was often used to break up (or "dowdy") the crust!  I always wondered where that name came from.   sunny  sunny

Cherry-Nectarine Pandowdy
Serves 12/Recipe from Southern Living, June 2018.

Crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup cold vegetable shortening
4-5 Tablespoons ice water
Filling:
2-1/2 pounds nectarines, unpeeled and sliced
1-1/2 pounds fresh cherries, pitted
1 cup granulated sugar
6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon lemon zest plus 2 Tablespoons fresh juice (from 1 lemon)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons water

1. Prepare the Crust: Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor; pulse until combined, 2 to 3 times. Add butter and shortening; pulse until mixture resembles small pebbles, 3 to 4 times. Drizzle in 4 Tablespoons of the ice water; pulse until mixture begins to clump, 3 to 4 times, adding remaining 1 Tablespoon of water, 1 teaspoon at a time as needed. Transfer mixture to a lightly floured work surface; knead until mixture is incorporated, 3 to 4 times. Shape into a 7x5-inch rectangle; cover with plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour.
2. Prepare the Filling: Combine nectarines, cherries, sugar, flour, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt in a bowl; toss well. Spread mixture into a lightly greased (with cooking spray) 11x8-inch baking dish. Preheat oven to 400°F.
3. Roll dough into a 12-inch square (dough will be thick). Cut dough into 16 (3-inch) squares. Arrange squares over top of fruit in patchwork fashion, slightly overlapping edges. Whisk together yolk and water in a small bowl. Brush top of dough with egg mixture. Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes.
4. Without removing pandowdy from oven, reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake until Filling is thick and bubbly and Crust is golden, 25 to 30 minutes. (Cover after 15 minutes, if needed, to prevent overbrowning.) Cool 30 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Last edited by Crybaby on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:43 am; edited 2 times in total

2Cherry-Nectarine Pandowdy Empty Re: Cherry-Nectarine Pandowdy Tue May 29, 2018 7:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got my copy today.....

I'm disappointed ~ there's usually MORE food stuff.

I thought the recipe for pickled shrimp was interesting. Don't know as it would be anything I'd make or eat, but I thought it was interesting.........

LOL

3Cherry-Nectarine Pandowdy Empty Re: Cherry-Nectarine Pandowdy Wed May 30, 2018 1:00 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I saw that one, too, Beth, for the pickled shrimp and even though I probably will never make it, I have it marked to copy into my recipe files. But I LOVED allthe recipes for all the old fruit desserts and will post one or two more once I've copied them for my file of recipes.

I've got so many recipes printed out now (I love looking through them to give me ideas about something to cook) but it's a pain if I decide to look for a specific one and I can't find it. Today I wanted to make some "fresh" tomato sauce -- I've got several really ripe Creole tomatoes so when I was downstairs getting us our first cup of coffee, I decided I'd make that with some pasta to eat alongside leftover brisket. I don't really need the recipe to make it (it sits on the counter at room temp for a couple of hours for the flavors to blend) but I always like to look over a recipe I like and used the first time I made it. Brian laughs at me sometimes as he asks why I'm looking for a recipe when I have no intention of following it exactly. I don't know why I do that but I do it quite often. It's like looking through cookbooks, something else I like to do.

4Cherry-Nectarine Pandowdy Empty Re: Cherry-Nectarine Pandowdy Wed May 30, 2018 1:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've made a peach pandowdy before ~ VERY similar to a peach cobbler.

I just made pie crust and cut it into circles and laid them in a random pattern on top of the peaches. When I make it I usually don't add any spices, preferring to just let the fruit flavor shine. I do, however, sprinkle a lot of sugar on the top crust stuff. I love the sweet/crunchy result.

5Cherry-Nectarine Pandowdy Empty Re: Cherry-Nectarine Pandowdy Wed May 30, 2018 3:02 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I've made a peach pandowdy before ~ VERY similar to a peach cobbler.

I just made pie crust and cut it into circles and laid them in a random pattern on top of the peaches.  When I make it I usually don't add any spices, preferring to just let the fruit flavor shine.  I do, however, sprinkle a lot of sugar on the top crust stuff.  I love the sweet/crunchy result.

I love that too, Beth, and bought some of that specialty sugar to put on top of scones!  

Your pie crust circles sound as pretty as the pastry squares on top of the magazine's pandowdy look!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum