Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gripe and Vent..

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gripe and Vent.. Empty Gripe and Vent.. Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:13 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

The recipe & direction books , I say book but it is 5 pages of nothing.

I got a real nice video with my new cuisinart FP.Plus a recipe book. Nice.

But it seems every other thing I have bought in the last few years have lousy recipes.

Breadmaker Mad 
Ricemaker Mad 
KA mixer, Not new by any means but the recipes are not good.

Weber grills 3 of them.Mad just ok. But just a few..

Brinkman smoker NILL Mad Razz  joke.The directions are really really bad. I had to go to You Tube.

I still have & use my 1967 recipe book from a Old Sunbeam Mixer. cheers 
I have & use the recipe book from my OLD OLD electric Sunbeam electric skillet. cheers 

I use the recipes from that Cheap-o Slow cooker.

I have a electric wok I bought in 1987 Gripe and Vent.. 2599281016 Gripe and Vent.. 2599281016 that thing. Great recipe in it..

My guess is since everything now days is made in china they don't do directions NOR recipes.Neutral

2Gripe and Vent.. Empty Re: Gripe and Vent.. Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:35 am

NormM

NormM

Here is a good recipe

Cooks Illustrated Recipe: Boiled Water

• Chef Mary Ellen Rae
• Cooking Classes & Catering Services Recipe Testing and Development
www.PersonalTouchGourmet.net
• Cook's Illustrated Online
• Get Access to Foolproof Recipes Menus & More - Free 14 Day Trial
www.CooksIllustrated.com

Cooks Illustrated Recipe: Boiled Water
by Cooky McKitchener
Like many people, I enjoy the moist aroma and sinus-soothing vapors from a pot of boiling water. But it is often difficult to get a roiling boil just the way you remember it as a child. In my quest to perfect boiled water I began by collecting a dozen different recipes ranging from family hand-me-downs to restaurant standbys. But none of these recipes produced a water boil precisely as I remember it. Some were too slow and too dilute while others were dense and tough. All of the recipes shared a few typical ingredients, such as water. But otherwise they had little in common.
In my first effort to produce a reliable boiled water, I began with a cylindrical steel container, or “pot” as often called for in traditional recipes. Placing the pot four inches away from the flame, the water did eventually come to a boil, but it took six hours. This might have been acceptable in our grandparents’ day, but many of us no longer have so much time to spare. I then moved the pot closer, a mere two inches from the flame. Indeed, the water boiled in just three hours – a big improvement.
Still, tasters said that the boiled water exhibited a “metallic” tang. I suspected this off-note might have been imparted by the steel container or “pot” itself. Next, I removed the pot from the equation, pouring the water directly into the flame. As I’d hoped, the water boiled almost instantly, exhibiting just the warm vapor I was looking for.
Although direct contact with the burner did boil the water quickly, testers found it difficult to get close to the liquid without having their faces burned off by the gas flame. Clearly I needed to find another way.
I then remembered a vessel I’d received as a gift from an ex-mother-in-law that has been kept in a remote storage locker for many years. I drove there in my car at a speed of 30MPH. After observing that it was taking a long time to get there, I increased my speed to 60MPH. This worked well and I arrived at my destination in half the time.
The vessel is constructed with a layer of ceramic enamel enrobed over an iron core. It can hold about 8 quarts of liquid and weighs 400 pounds. I strapped the container to a trailer hitch and returned to the test kitchen.
Because of the vessel’s weight, I used a winch to lift it onto the burner. Once in place, I filled it with water and lit the stove. Voila! In just about ten minutes, there was a perfectly boiled pot of water. The steaming vapor had just the level of moisture I’d remembered, and because of the enamel coating, the boiled water did not take on any unwanted flavors.
BOILED WATER
1 heavy enamel-coated iron pot with winch
8 quarts of water
Lift pot onto burner and fill with water. Turn burner on high and wait ten minutes. Serve immediately.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3Gripe and Vent.. Empty Re: Gripe and Vent.. Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:41 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Too funny, Norm!

Why even bother with recipes, Barb? You can make anything with your eyes shut and one hand tied behind your back.....

4Gripe and Vent.. Empty Re: Gripe and Vent.. Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:59 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Gripe and Vent.. 2876911673 Gripe and Vent.. 3602300868 

I know but I still like cookbooks lol.In fact I have been putting off going to B&N for weeks because it is so hot. I know I have air cond. the store is air cond. but sitting a 90` hot auto to cool it off is not high on my want to do list.

I want a Ina's cookbook or (s)..

it is just nice to have some good recipes in print,all together not in piles of written scraps of paper you have to dig through.

5Gripe and Vent.. Empty Re: Gripe and Vent.. Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:10 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

DD has Ina's cookbooks....love 'em. Nicely done with goo pics of what it is suppose to look like.

I'm downsizing so I only have about 1/8 of the cookbooks I use to have, just the ones that are really special to me. I'm more into buying magazines...Cuisine Tonight is one I like a lot - no ads and pics of every recipe. I can be much more creative when I see a recipe as well as read.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum