Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

VENT..I know I am not the only one.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:36 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

People who give cooking advice that DO NOT know their butt from their elbow about cooking. VENT..I know I am not the only one. 1450907917 

Then they have the gall to post pictures of nothing but nasty food they cooked. VENT..I know I am not the only one. 2855670339 Maybe they THINK they can cook VENT..I know I am not the only one. 2855670339 

2VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:44 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just like to talk.....I'm sorry.

3VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:48 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk wrote:I just like to talk.....I'm sorry.

HUH?

you do know I was not talking about you.

4VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:57 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Phew!

VENT..I know I am not the only one. 2876911673 

5VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:51 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

I hope you're not talking about me either -- maybe someone on the other forum??? LOL

6VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:54 pm

NormM

NormM

Spanish rice comes to mind.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

7VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, Pea....NOT you....

You and I have to stick together to see who we can advise on making "last meals" since you and I are bound to kill someone with our cooking one of these days...

And, Norm, just what IS Spanish Rice? Is it the rice of Spain? Or is it a side dish marketed by the makers of Minite Rice in the 1960's? Maybe it's something to argue about...like beans or no beans in chili? Should you or shouldn't you put meat in Spanish Rice? Ohio Spanish Rice is traditionally made with ground beef....but I've seen YOUR rice and its yellow....is THAT what YOU consider Spanish Rice?

(And the comment about "traditional" Ohio Spanish Rice is like a trick question....ain't no such thing lol! 

8VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:39 pm

NormM

NormM

I don't know. I have never made Spanish rice or Mexican rice either.  Cassie does not make it but none of the recipes I have ever saw include a can of Rotel and cumin. Yellow rice is what I get served in Mexican restaurants when they don't serve regular rice. I suspect what is called Spanish rice is really a Southwestern concoction.

9VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I make a variation of what my mom made in the 1960's....she was the "queen of Minute Rice" (ewwwww).

I brown ground beef, add chopped onions and at least three different kinds of fresh chopped peppers and add raw rice to coat with the oil/fat. Then I add canned tomatoes with chiles and Spicy V-8 and cook until the rice is tender and thickened like a stovetop casserole. It was always an inexpensive, yet filling, meal for the family I could make in bulk and freeze.

But in this case, I think it was the use of hot chiles that gave the name "Spanish" just as some of the odd concoctions we use to make and serve over white rice was referred to as "Chinese" even though no such dish had EVER been served in all of China.....

10VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:06 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

NormM wrote:Spanish rice comes to mind.

geek VENT..I know I am not the only one. 2876911673 

11VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:15 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:
NormM wrote:Spanish rice comes to mind.

geek VENT..I know I am not the only one. 2876911673 
I'm glad I'm not the only one, as I just about spit up not so long ago when Ms. Spanish Rice gave the history of gumbo -- she attributed it to one country and its cuisine.

And don't get me started on someone being a "published author and noted authority" on whatever the conversation of the day is. What boggles my mind is no one comments -- even me! You can't argue with someone that has no pride and no scruples.

12VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have always had a problem with people who had to have only ONE way to make a dish, whether a trained chef with ideas of being an authority or just a regular person who thinks they know something. I will say, however, most of the trained chefs would at least debate or discuss and not be rude as to the "one and only way" to prepare a dish.

And so many of the arguments brought up by the "Johnny-Come-Lately" types had been debated many years ago by so many members who were good cooks with lots of practical experience from different areas of the country. During most of those debates points and examples were made and it was an interesting exchange. No one simply did a copy and paste of information from some obscure site on the Internet....but, of course, if its on the Internet it MUST BE TRUE !

VENT..I know I am not the only one. 1430007125 

VENT..I know I am not the only one. 2876911673 VENT..I know I am not the only one. 2876911673 VENT..I know I am not the only one. 2876911673 

13VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:39 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:No one simply did a copy and paste of information from some obscure site on the Internet....but, of course, if its on the Internet it MUST BE TRUE !
THAT'S EXACTLY what it looks like, Beth, and you're so right about obscure sites! Even though it's annoying, I think people refrain from commenting usually because it's not only transparent but kind of sad. I'd rather a real interaction about what we all like, are good (or bad) at, what we'd like to try, our triumphs as well as our failures -- all in a friendly environment, not one where someone has to feel like they're an expert (even if they really were). It just screams insecurity to me, which is what I find kind of sad, I guess. And to be in a place where you don't even "get" what people are thinking of you...

14VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Agreed....love to point out when something I make is a big flop. Actually, I think it's pretty funny most of the time. Things like setting the grill on fire....and NOT just the gas burners comes to mind....or the exploding potatoes or casserole dishes....too hilarious since no one was killed.

But if I had a huge fail and I posted a pic of it I would at least acknowledge it was a huge fail and not try to pass it off as something wonderful when all the world could see it was not. Sad or not, some things come off as pure ignorance with no intent on learning, just wanting to see their spiels published.

15VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:59 pm

NormM

NormM

You can get into a "discussion" with some people and it is a waste of time. They won't even consider the possibility that there might be acceptable variations. A lady who says she is a chef once told me my tartar sauce was not tartar sauce. I told her I was glad the French didn't invent BBQ sauce because if they did, there would only be one kind. So now I renamed my recipe and its now called NOTTARTAR sauce.

16VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gee, was that the same chef who told me no chef in Tuscany would make soup with dairy in it when I posted my adaption of Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana - sausage,potato, kale soup finished with cream?

I remember replying I would not have a clue about the chefs in Tuscany because I had never been there, but I HAD been to Olive Garden Restaurant and THEIR soup had cream in it.....

And, yes, that tartar Sauce exchange was very strange. Didn't she insist tartar sauce was not white?

17VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:06 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

AND AND  MY Lemon Meringue Pie is ALL mine.. No one can make it but ME ..

Even tho I stole it from Betty Crocker..   VENT..I know I am not the only one. 1838020472 

VENT..I know I am not the only one. 2876911673

18VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, yes, and NORM STEALS RECIPES AND REPOSTS THEM AND DOES NOT GIVE PROPER CREDIT TO THE ORIGINATOR OF THE RECIPE!!!

And even when Norm apologizes 5 times for forgetting where he saw a recipe he still got told how horrible he was for stealing her recipe.

Gosh, didn't we use to have fun??

That's like when someone steals my famous baked bean recipe.....the one where I open the can of Bush's Old Fashioned Beans, heat and serve. THAT'S MY SPECIAL RECIPE AND NO ONE ELSE IS ALLOWED TO MAKE IT THAT WAY WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

19VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:16 pm

NormM

NormM

I think she said my sauce was more like a cocktail sauce and I said I thought cocktail sauces were red.

20VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:18 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

I know you guys are not fond of Ms. Spanish Rice but ... she was very nice about helping me with writing an ad for placing my cats.  She does have PTSD and I think that colors her interactions with people on the forum.  If you notice, she is weirder sometimes more than others and it's the mental illness.  I have empathy for her but don't often comment on her posts especially when I think she is off her baseline.  

Now, I have had more problems with the famous Chef lady and Dillweed - both seem as if they hate me and my cooking.  My feeling is, if you like it, tough noogies to the opinions of the so-called experts.

21VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:19 pm

NormM

NormM

Martha Stewart printed one of my recipes and gave me credit but then two or three newspapers reprinted the recipe and did not give me credit but rather attributed it to Martha. It doesn't bother me... much.

22VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:30 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

PTSD.. is this a new term for drunk ??

Rich who is also a drinker ,, no secret ,,he tells on himself all the time..Told me ,well he did not have to tell me ,I already knew it, that she posts while really really drunk. He has to go in & remove her posts. Not before some of them are read tho.

Oh well ,,that is his problem & for the folks who do post on that forum.I just thank my stars that 'some' of them are not here .. Nor will they ever be..Mad 

23VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:31 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:You can get into a "discussion" with some people and it is a waste of time.  They won't even consider the possibility that there might be acceptable variations.  A lady who says she is a chef once told me my tartar sauce was not tartar sauce. I told her I was glad the French didn't invent BBQ sauce because if they did, there would only be one kind.  So now I renamed my recipe and its now called NOTTARTAR sauce.
You're so right, Norm, about it being a waste of time with people like that. Plus, it only serves to raise ones blood pressure. And you just can't win either so why try?! I loved the NOTTARTAR Sauce!!!

24VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:PTSD.. is this a new term for drunk ??

Rich who is also a drinker ,, no secret ,,he tells on himself all the time..Told me ,well he did not have to tell me ,I already knew it, that she posts while really really drunk. He has to go in & remove her posts. Not before some of them are read tho.

Oh well ,,that is his problem & for the folks who do post on that forum.I just thank my stars that 'some' of them are not here .. Nor will they ever be..Mad 
Yeah, I saw that PTSD remark, too. I KNEW not to ask, as I can only imagine that nature of that story!

Hey, I'm a drinker, too, and have never hidden it from anyone. And I've posted while drinking, too. But that doesn't turn me into a complete idiot nor, hopefully, a know it all. But you know, removing someone's obnoxious posts is really not a favor. They should really see themselves in the morning. Plus, I'd use it for ammo to say, "Sorry but we just can't..."

I'm so glad I'm not "stuck" over there anymore. But I do admit to, like a train wreck, I can't help going back to see the current posts. I know we're a small group here but it's nice you two started like this. They started with a huge group and there's only a handful left. Not surprising at all.

25VENT..I know I am not the only one. Empty Re: VENT..I know I am not the only one. Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:07 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

Barbara101 wrote:PTSD.. is this a new term for drunk ??

No, it's not but many people with mental illness self-medicate with alcohol and drugs and I heard this at a lecture from a Christian Psychologist. People in my family and close friends self-medicate with alcohol and drugs because they either can't get the medical treatment they need or purposely don't seek it out for whatever reasons. But at any rate, I sure wouldn't want to live in the same town as she does because I think I would soon be self-medicating myself. LOL As they say in the South, "well, bless her heart".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum