Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Empty Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:38 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

From the Bourbon and Boots website, here's the link, so cool stuff.

http://www.bourbonandboots.com/hold-the-crackers-creative-ideas-for-pimento-cheese/

2Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Empty Re: Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lots of good ideas IF you like pimento cheese....

I'm actually a bit worried they won't issue me my "Old Southern Woman" membership card when I get back to the villa since I don't eat cheese, including pimento cheese.....

3Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Empty Re: Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:29 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

bethk wrote:Lots of good ideas IF you like pimento cheese....

I'm actually a bit worried they won't issue me my "Old Southern Woman" membership card when I get back to the villa since I don't eat cheese, including pimento cheese.....
You'll just have to have a small tub of it in the fridge in case someone comes a calling to welcome you to the neighborhood. No self-respecting Southern Woman would evah be without pimantah cheese. LOL I love the stuff.

4Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Empty Re: Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, I usually have a brick of cheddar cheese for Dane....and I know I have a jar of pimentos...how about I store them both next to my jar of Hellman's. will that do?

Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese 2876911673 

5Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Empty Re: Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:41 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

bethk wrote:Well, I usually have a brick of cheddar cheese for Dane....and I know I have a jar of pimentos...how about I store them both next to my jar of Hellman's.  will that do?

Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese 2876911673 
Don't forget the Tabasco!!!  My recipe is simple -- sharp cheddar, pimentos, Hellman's (maybe 1/4 cup at most), and Tabasco.  That's the standard in the South but some get more creative adding grated onion, garlic powder etc.  I did have a recipe that I used to make for our Care Group from church (in home gathering Sunday evenings) that I added a tub of green onion and chive soft cream cheese to my basic pimento cheese spread and it was pretty yummy BUT IT WASN'T PIMENTO CHEESE!!!  Do you eat cream cheese?  If so you can do Jezebel Sauce which is another standard that can be pre-made and lasts forever in the fridge. Oh, and don't forget your Sweet Tea, the house wine of the South.

JEZEBEL SAUCE

•1 jar (16 to 18 oz) pineapple preserves
•1 jar (16 to 18 oz) apple jelly
•1/2 cup horseradish, from a refrigerated jar
•3 tablespoons dry mustard
•2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients. Cover and chill.
Makes 4 cups.

I have found pineapple preserves in 10 oz. jars ONLY, so I use 10 oz. of each and cut the remaining ingredients by about half or so.  Pour this mix over a block of cream cheese and serve with crackers or cocktail bread.  It is also good as a ham glaze or on chicken or ham sammies.  If you can't find the pineapple preserves, sub apricot instead.  This stuff is amazing. I use either Splenda or Ideal sweetner to make my Sweet Tea.

Last edited by thesweetestpea on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

6Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Empty Re: Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Pete's Jezebel is NOW a standard I have in my refrigerator. Funny how you can only find pineapple preserves at Winn Dixie or Publix....never at Kroger or Meijers!

And I'll have to fake it with the sweet tea. Maybe they'll believe me that I'm cutting back on my sugar intake.....

LOL

7Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Empty Re: Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:00 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

bethk wrote:Pete's Jezebel is NOW a standard I have in my refrigerator.  Funny how you can only find pineapple preserves at Winn Dixie or Publix....never at Kroger or Meijers!

And I'll have to fake it with the sweet tea.  Maybe they'll believe me that I'm cutting back on my sugar intake.....

LOL
I just saw a few weeks ago at Wal-Mart and was happy as I haven't been able to find it for a long time. I just ran across a recipe to make Pineapple Jam and thought I might give it a try. I love making jam.

8Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Empty Re: Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made it to take to an Easter dinner with ham and one lady asked if she could have the leftover Jezebel to take home....everyone loved it. I so wish I could tell Pete how his recipes have lived on and thank him for sharing for so many years. What a great guy.

9Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Empty Re: Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:33 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:I made it to take to an Easter dinner with ham and one lady asked if she could have the leftover Jezebel to take home....everyone loved it.  I so wish I could tell Pete how his recipes have lived on and thank him for sharing for so  many years.  What a great guy.
Do you think he has passed? I know he wasn't doing well a long time ago, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Pimento cheese. My mother used to make it all of the time. She was from Texas. We were grossed out at how it it looked when we were kids and wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. I finally had a taste of the stuff when I was in my 30's. It was wonderful! It is funny how your tastes change as you mature.

10Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Empty Re: Creative Ideas for Pimento Cheese Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:04 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

thesweetestpea wrote:

JEZEBEL SAUCE

•1 jar (16 to 18 oz) pineapple preserves
•1 jar (16 to 18 oz) apple jelly
•1/2 cup horseradish, from a refrigerated jar
•3 tablespoons dry mustard
•2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients. Cover and chill.
Makes 4 cups.

I have found pineapple preserves in 10 oz. jars ONLY, so I use 10 oz. of each and cut the remaining ingredients by about half or so.  Pour this mix over a block of cream cheese and serve with crackers or cocktail bread.  It is also good as a ham glaze or on chicken or ham sammies.  If you can't find the pineapple preserves, sub apricot instead.  This stuff is amazing.  I use either Splenda or Ideal sweetner to make my Sweet Tea.

That sounds SO good! Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum