Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

ISO herb yeast quick bread

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1ISO herb yeast quick bread Empty ISO herb yeast quick bread Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Many years ago we vacationed in Aruba, a lovely island off the coast of Venzuala. It was a lovely time and the variety of food was so much fun to explore.

One of our "must go" restaurants was called Madame Jeanette's. everything we were served there was amazingly flavorful and inventive. They served a house made bread I have tried unsuccessfully to replicate ever since. It was an herb bread, with a yeasty fragrance, but it looked more like a quick bread and it was baked in a 9 X 13 loaf pan. I know it had rosemary and thyme, but it had some other herbs as well, all very subtle yet there. They served the bread warm with a crock of sweet Dutch butter and also some pickled onions to top it off.

It was an amazing taste treat. And, like I said, I have not been able to come close to making anything, nor have I come across any recipe that sounded like what we were served.

Has anyone ever made anything that sounds close to my description? If so, I would love to have you share your recipe and method.

2ISO herb yeast quick bread Empty Re: ISO herb yeast quick bread Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Either write to the restaurant or write to Bon Appetit's column where people seek recipes and ask for it, Beth.

I want it, too, now!!! What a Face 

3ISO herb yeast quick bread Empty Re: ISO herb yeast quick bread Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I tried that years ago and never got anywhere with it. But I'm still looking, it was that good.

4ISO herb yeast quick bread Empty Re: ISO herb yeast quick bread Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:39 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I tried that years ago and never got anywhere with it.  But I'm still looking, it was that good.

I just Googled it, Beth, and though I don't "do" Facebook, I see the restaurant has a Facebook page. Why don't you check it out as maybe you could either ask them for the recipe or ask what other herbs were in the bread so you could try to replicate it. I didn't read all the stuff that came up when I searched for it but there was tons of stuff, BTW.

5ISO herb yeast quick bread Empty Re: ISO herb yeast quick bread Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'll have to try the google thing again. I don't do Facebook...or tweet, or anything other than regular emails....don't understand that stuff....old and decrepit that I am.

But thanks, I'll see what I can find. It's been years since I last did a search about it.

6ISO herb yeast quick bread Empty Re: ISO herb yeast quick bread Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I found a blog that had a nice review of the restaurant and a pic of the bread basket. It sure looked familiar! But it's been probably 7 years since we were in Aruba last so I think I was mistaken...the bread sure looks like a focaccia. And that would make sense with the herbs, etc. so I think I'll start there.

The pickled onion topper was the best part. And the bread was fresh baked and hot when you got it. I mean, come on, hot, fresh out of the oven bread, slathered with sweet butter and topped with pickled onions....YUM!

7ISO herb yeast quick bread Empty Re: ISO herb yeast quick bread Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:01 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I'll have to try the google thing again.  I don't do Facebook...or tweet, or anything other than regular emails....don't understand that stuff....old and decrepit that I am.

But thanks, I'll see what I can find.  It's been years since I last did a search about it.

I thought I was the only one who didn't do Facebook or tweet, Beth!  I have a friend that discourages me from tweeting, as she says I could never, ever stay within the character count!  Embarassed

8ISO herb yeast quick bread Empty Re: ISO herb yeast quick bread Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:36 am

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

I do FB sparingly, only because most of my friends won't email any longer and just do FB, but I don't post anything personal, just keep up with others. I don't tweet or text and most likely, never will. Could it have beer instead of yeast, Beth? Beer bread recipe might give you close to what you want and you could try baking it in a 9x13 pan but you might have to double the recipe. I've made it sweet and savory, with fruit and with cheese and herbs.

9ISO herb yeast quick bread Empty Re: ISO herb yeast quick bread Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:35 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've never made beer bread, Pea. I've eaten it, but never made it. And I'll bet it would pair really well with the pickled onions....thanks for the idea!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum