Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ???

+5
NormM
Barbara101
Imelda HL
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 18]

326JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:05 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 074

had a drawer full of odds & ends so I made a beef stir fry.

327JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yum, Barb! There's no way to go wrong when you have beef as nice as that....

328JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 300955_148930858524841_3613998_n

grilled zucchini & chicken some legs.

Lookie Good Barbara...
Wha Wha What did one chicken have, Only One Leg??

329JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:49 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

lol no they wher on sale .99clb.I stocked up.cheers 

330JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Before supper, Tina was prepping dinners to freeze for her uncle in Mays Landing, NJ... Tiny Tina's Meals on Wheels.
Then.............................................................
Tina Made Greek Beans.
Just green beans and onions cooked down in tomato sauce.

Nice Tomato salad with Olive Oil / vinegar / oregano, and garlic slices.

Then came the dessert!!... Ice Cream Cones and Whoppers.

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Wldb

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 D3tt

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 2msi

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 0qds

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Y1mp

331JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ah, Jimmy, there seems to be an awful lot of sauce on those beans.....you might need to sop it up with one or six slices of bread.....

Isn't Tina going to take a break and rest after being gone for a week? She's gonna make herself sick.

332JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Ah, Jimmy, there seems to be an awful lot of sauce on those beans.....you might need to sop it up with one or six slices of bread.....

Isn't Tina going to take a break and rest after being gone for a week?  She's gonna make herself sick.

Oh Beth... I did my share of mopping the sauce and softened onions with the rolls. I am so full, I could Bust.

Poor Tina... she is so tired she can hardly stand up.
She conked out on the recliner already.
Tomorrow she is Going to Church early, and then home and change, and trip down to check on the uncle that has the pneumonia.
That's 1 hour away. Then back home to get ready to trip down to South Jersey 3+ hour drive and deliver the dinners on monday, wash his clothes and bed sheets...clean the bathroom and kitchen, and give him a haircut.
Take him into the town to pay his taxes, and then pay his bills, and make out the checks...mail them and then head home at about 630pm.

I'm tired already just thinking of it! LOL

333JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:53 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

wow Jimmy lol. back in the day, man I could eat the whole box of whoppers. My kids would buy them for me ,when I already had a hidden stash.Can not eat them now with my type 2...Sad Sad 

I also wish I had a kitchen counter like that,man I would have it piled up with clutter so fast Laughing 

334JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:46 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just remembered I picked up a package of cubed steak on Friday because it was freshly cross-cubed. I intended to make country fried steak...but did the BBQ country ribs instead.

Well, TODAY will be a perfect day for country fried steak, mashed potatoes, white gravy to pour over, and I have some sweet corn I think I'll cut off the cob and cook a la Norm method.

335JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:58 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

grandson just called & said his brothers are bothering him & can he come over lol He also said he wants spagh for dinner. I can do that.

336JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:59 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:wow Jimmy lol. back in the day, man I could eat the whole box of whoppers. My kids would buy them for me ,when I already had a hidden stash.Can not eat them now with my type 2...Sad Sad 

I also wish I had a kitchen counter like that,man I would have it piled up with clutter so fast Laughing 

Barbara, I think they make whoppers in diatetic no sugar.

Tina is hooked on the bite size YORK Peppermint patties now.
I am not a candy eater, but when I do get a urge to eat chocolate, those whoppers are the ticket.

That Island was a controversy for years. We never had room to fit one because the kitchen was too small.
Tina said..."I WANT ONE!"

OK...so I had to move a whole wall 18 inches out just to get one to half way fit.
The countertop is nothing fancy; just marble looking Formica.
Tina is a clutter piler. hahahahaha I am a Mr. Mom when it comes to kitchen habits. The clutter from me is the utility room, and the garage. So They Say whilst it is within their 90%.

337JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:02 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Homemademeatballs

I made these meatballs a while ago. Used some & froze the rest. I will toss a few on Jakes Spagh.

338JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:09 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It's gonna be NY Strip steaks today.
I am contemplating marinating them in something???
I'm wishing for potatoes diced and boiled, and then with butter and chives. Hmmm! Sour Cream on the side too!

339JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:11 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I never ever was clutter-er. I was so anal. I had everything picked up & it had it's place.Nothing out of place,anywhere.I made my bed every morning..I even had closet so organized I could get dressed in the dark lol.I just had to have all the linens color matched & folded just so.Do Not ever use the towels on the rack in the bathroom lol lol

So now that I have all the time in the world,,,,my house is a wreck.....Clutter .Clutter.I am so bad now, I empty the dish washer when I have no choice Embarassed 

I am either lazy in my old age or I just don't care any more or I just realized not to sweat the small stuff Rolling Eyes 

340JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:14 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Homemademeatballs

I made these meatballs a while ago. Used some & froze the rest. I will toss a few on Jakes Spagh.

Atta Girl Barbara! ... Thinking ahead is good for when the grandkids come over.

I always have jar sauce for the kids. So quick. Also I always have fried and bagged in the fridge bacon. GD loves her grilled cheese and bacon...BTW which SHE Makes all by herself now. 20? I would think so!

341JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:17 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:I never ever was clutter-er. I was so anal. I had everything picked up & it had it's place.Nothing out of place,anywhere.I made my bed every morning..I even had closet so organized I could get dressed in the dark lol.I just had to have all the linens color matched & folded just so.Do Not ever use the towels on the rack in the bathroom lol lol

So now that I have all the time in the world,,,,my house is a wreck.....Clutter .Clutter.I am so bad now, I empty the dish washer when I have no choice Embarassed 

I am either lazy in my old age or I just don't care any more or I just realized not to sweat the small stuff Rolling Eyes 

With us it is...don't sweat the small stuff! hahahahaha
Life is too short to live like picture perfect.

We now clean like they say..."Clean where the Priest Walks!" LOL

342JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:24 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 2876911673 that's what I told carpet cleaning guy.Only clean the carpet you see. You don't have to move any furniture

343JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:49 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:It's gonna be NY Strip steaks today.
I am contemplating marinating them in something???
I'm wishing for potatoes diced and boiled, and then with butter and chives. Hmmm! Sour Cream on the side too!

Oh, Jimmy, strip steaks don't need anything other than s&p....yum!

What about an herb butter to melt on top while they rest? Me, I'd go get some tarragon out of the garden and make a bernaise sauce to serve with those steaks...shallots, white wine, tarragon, then strained and butter swirled in at the end....flavored butter sauce. Maybe make a hollandaise. I think I'm confusing my sauces. Whatever. But I'd just do something to add along side of those steaks at the end.

And get busy on a salad. You need to do a nice salad with the steaks today....good for you!

344JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barb, what are the age differences between the boys?

Your Jacob sounds just like mine....when he's hungry he's as sweet as he can be! LOL

345JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 am

NormM

NormM

Jimmy, I tend to agree with Beth about steaks but here is a suggestion for marinating that steak. A couple months ago, we had dinner at Dodge City Distillery Restaurant and Cassie had a steak marinated in whiskey and soy sauce.  We all tasted it and was impressed with it so I thought I'd try it at home.  Here is what I mixed together.  Cassie said she was surprised at how close it was.

3 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs. Mango or any mild vinegar
1 C. water
1/4 C. packed brown sugar
2/3 C. Maker's Mark whiskey

3 strip steaks

Marinated for about 4 hours, then grilled.

We had a salad with baby spinach greens, hard cooked eggs, gorgonzola cheese, carrots, bacon bits, green onions and green and black olives

We had twice baked potatoes with sweet cream, sour cream, cheddar cheese, bacon crumbles and fresh chives.

We also had green beans and cantaloupe.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

346JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, I'm not a whiskey drinker but I know I have Southern Comfort and Seagrams 7 in the cupboard.  Would either of those be one I could use?

I have the rest of the ingredients....just not sure about whiskey.  Oh, I also have some wonderful 18 yr. old scotch, but I'm not cooking with that....I KNOW what to do with that!

I just re-read....you said whiskey and soy but recipe calls for Worcestershire. Confused.

347JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Jimmy, I tend to agree with Beth about steaks but here is a suggestion for marinating that steak. A couple months ago, we had dinner at Dodge City Distillery Restaurant and Cassie had a steak marinated in whiskey and soy sauce.  We all tasted it and was impressed with it so I thought I'd try it at home.  Here is what I mixed together.  Cassie said she was surprised at how close it was.

3 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs. Mango or any mild vinegar
1 C. water
1/4 C. packed brown sugar
2/3 C. Maker's Mark whiskey

3 strip steaks

Marinated for about 4 hours, then grilled.

We had a salad with baby spinach greens, hard cooked eggs, gorgonzola cheese, carrots, bacon bits, green onions and green and black olives

We had twice baked potatoes with sweet cream, sour cream, cheddar cheese, bacon crumbles and fresh chives.

We also had green beans and cantaloupe.

Thanks Norm....that sounds good.
Not today though...the Mrs. is in a Hissy mood today, and she is not into trying new flavors.
I think Beths Steak = Salt and Pepper, and for me..a glaze of butter to finish it.

London Broil ... would be a great candidate for that marinade recipe.

348JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Norm, I'm not a whiskey drinker but I know I have Southern Comfort and Seagrams 7 in the cupboard.  Would either of those be one I could use?

I have the rest of the ingredients....just not sure about whiskey.  Oh, I also have some wonderful 18 yr. old scotch, but I'm not cooking with that....I KNOW what to do with that!

I just re-read....you said whiskey and soy but recipe calls for Worcestershire.  Confused.

Beth... the whisky is a new one for me too!
I have Rum! I wonder how that would be???
A lot of times I use white wine / lemon juice / soy sauce / worchestershire sauce / garlic sliced / and peppercorns and salt. Sometimes olive oil too.

I use for London broil that I cris- cross cut close as possible with a knife on both sides. The cris- cross cuts crisp up so nicely.

Then I cook the marinade down a bit, and use that to soak the sliced LB in on the serving platter. Laughing 

349JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:25 pm

NormM

NormM

I think Seagrams is a type of whiskey. In my notes I have that I'd like to try it with Southern Comfort next time. Rum should be good too.

The restaurant said they used soy sauce in their recipe but I used Worcestershire sauce instead. Since my recipe is/ was just an initial experiment to try to come close to the restaurant one, I am sure any substitutions would be OK.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

350JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, who knows the difference in taste of Southern Comfort and Seagrams 7?

I'm thinking I want the sweeter of the two. I suppose I could just go and take a swig out of each bottle but I don't think I like whiskey...gags me. But maybe that's because I was only 21 the last time I tasted it....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum