Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ???

+5
NormM
Barbara101
Imelda HL
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 16 of 18]

376JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had a choice of what to pull from the freezer for supper. GS heard CHICKEN POT PIE and that's as much choice as he needed.

So, chicken pot pie, secret sauce and a tossed salad was supper. I found the original pic....

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 01-23-13d

377JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:10 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 1016979_482341528525977_1808667091_n

panko crusted (a Little) fried in a CI skillet Cat fish..

Beth that looks really really good...

378JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth and Barbara.... your meals look great. I eat Beef Pot Pies Beth...hahaha

The fish looks great Barbara. I love fish done like that.

379JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love the idea of fish, Barb, but I cannot eat catfish....or tilapia. It's a head game thing with me, I'm sure. I just can't get past the bottom feeder part, and I remember the catfish we had when I was young and my brothers caught them in the river. Those TASTED muddy. Ewwwwww.

I know the ones that are farm raised are suppose to be really good but I just cannot bring myself to eat it.

But your supper looks good....I'm sure it was tasty for you.

380JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:49 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

we used to have a restaurant here up by the lake that was known for it's cat fish. Gosh that was THE only place I would eat it,out..So good. They also had the best cole slaw I have ever had. House made for sure.

If I cook it myself then I go for it once in awhile.It has to be fresh & cleaned of ALL bones.

Tilapia used to be cheap No No not any more. I used to buy a fish called Turbo, I have not seen that forever.

381JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:26 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

382JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, Barb, THAT is the recipe.  I'm sure I have the recipe recorded in my personal file but I cannot access my recipes until I get back to my pc....

Man, that recipe, with the addition of vegetables, is the best chicken pot pie I've ever made.  The shredded chicken, as opposed to chopped, made a world of difference in the taste.  And the pie I pulled from the freezer has been wrapped for many, many months so its one of those recipes that can be made on a cooking day in bulk and portioned out in family size or individual portions to cook at a later date.

Since I didn't have the recipe I ended up making a "new" secret sauce tonight.  I used a can of cream of mushroom soup, stirred in some
chicken soup base and thinned with milk.  It was a fair compromise for the real deal sauce of the original recipe.

I think I had to listen to the video a few times to be able to write down the recipe because by the time it was posted the recipe was put into the Cook's Country "pay-me-if-you-want-it" recipe archives. And you know none of us is going to pay for the recipes. I might make a trip to the library to look for a past issue but we won't sent Christopher Kimble the cost of an online subscription.

Last edited by bethk on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

383JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:49 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 4137497845 

384JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:51 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Beth and Barbara.. your meals look good.. I can't really make a good chicken pot pie crust, usually it melts or shrinks when I bake it Rolling Eyes 

I like catfish too.. better than tilapia.. I like to eat the belly part, the bones and head part, my DH likes the fillet or steaks without bones at all Wink 

our dinner today.. small shell pasta with spinach + mushroom and cheese sauce.. I topped it with  extra Parmesan cheese and fried onions ( it was the good choice of topping Surprised  ) , we really did not miss meat in this meal, so rich of cheese
JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 3593629538 

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 <a href=JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 DSCN7631" />

he ate 1/3 of the whole dish

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 <a href=JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 43" />

I added some Tabasco sauce

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 <a href=JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 DSCN7635" />

385JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Way to go, Imelda! Now this is your inspiration for continuing your meatless meals once or twice a week. And if it's covered with cheese, I'll bet you'll be able to incorporate more vegetables, too. Turn it into a challenge like when we did the low/no carb meals.

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 4056093967 

386JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made cubed beef / carrots / and mushrooms in the electric skillet
. Cooked down slow for a couple hours, and then added flour past to thicken. GD had it with noodles when she got home from work. Tina the Nurse / shopper / chief meal planner and ambulance driver...hahha is on her way home from Mays Landing NJ down at her Uncles Farm.

I made Potato Dumplings for her. I mixed the batter, but I won't cook them until she gets closer to here.

Supposed to go down to 57 tonight. great...

387JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:Beth and Barbara.. your meals look good.. I can't really make a good chicken pot pie crust, usually it melts or shrinks when I bake it Rolling Eyes 

I like catfish too.. better than tilapia.. I like to eat the belly part, the bones and head part, my DH likes the fillet or steaks without bones at all Wink 

our dinner today.. small shell pasta with spinach + mushroom and cheese sauce.. I topped it with  extra Parmesan cheese and fried onions ( it was the good choice of topping Surprised  ) , we really did not miss meat in this meal, so rich of cheese
JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 3593629538 

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 %3Ca%20href=JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 DSCN7631" />

he ate 1/3 of the whole dish

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 %3Ca%20href=JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 43" />

I added some Tabasco sauce

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 %3Ca%20href=JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 DSCN7635" />

Good To Eat....Without some Meat!
And Cheese is Just Like Stinky Feet! LOL

Looks great Imelda! What Kind of Cheese Did You Use? If I may Ask?

388JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:19 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

This morning I made fried ham chips in oil and butter, and made Toasted English Muffins w Ham and cheese for GD for work and for me.
JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 3sak

I made Beef and Mushrooms and carrots with over noodles for GD for supper, and with Potato Dumplings For Tina.

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 L3xk

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 A7qd

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 3i0i

I had zucchini sticks and a little eggplant stuffed that "T" Mommy bought.

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Oyec

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 0xhw

A nice salad...with just olive oil.
JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 2avu

And then I had the dumplings and a spoon of the beef.
I am Full. Gonna have a coffee and a doughnut now! I got to have dessert!

389JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:31 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

Imelda, your casserole looks delicious!!!

390JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:06 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

my grandson is 1 year old today - here are the sweet biscuits that will be the base for his birthday cake. We are making individual servings of strawberry shortcakes.
I'll try to take a pic of the finished little cakes, too.
JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 IMG_0002_zps15a92722

391JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, it's a good thing you're doing....making noodles for GD and Tina's potato dumplings. Everyone gets to have their own special meal. And you got your own special meal. Yum.

Oh my goodness, I forgot to tell you about DESSERT!!!! I MADE DESSERT!

The GS asked "how come we don't have dessert?" We said no one ever is hungry after a meal...but he said he LIKES dessert. So this morning I checked the pantry for ideas...cake mix and instant pudding...DD sure does know how to stock a pantry. LOL I made a French Vanilla Cake, split a layer in half and made a filling of instant vanilla pudding, topped with the top half of the cake layer. Then I made a chocolate glaze for the top. GS was a happy camper with Boston Cream Pie for dessert, even if it was made from mixes.

We won't have dessert very often, but it won't kill us to have it once in a while.

392JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yes, Barb, THAT is the recipe.  I'm sure I have the recipe recorded in my personal file but I cannot access my recipes until I get back to my pc....

Man, that recipe, with the addition of vegetables, is the best chicken pot pie I've ever made.  The shredded chicken, as opposed to chopped, made a world of difference in the taste.  And the pie I pulled from the freezer has been wrapped for many, many months so its one of those recipes that can be made on a cooking day in bulk and portioned out in family size or individual portions to cook at a later date.

Since I didn't have the recipe I ended up making a "new" secret sauce tonight.  I used a can of cream of mushroom soup, stirred in some
chicken soup base and thinned with milk.  It was a fair compromise for the real deal sauce of the original recipe.

I think I had to listen to the video a few times to be able to write down the recipe because by the time it was posted the recipe was put into the Cook's Country "pay-me-if-you-want-it" recipe archives.  And you know none of us is going to pay for the recipes.  I might make a trip to the library to look for a past issue but we won't sent Christopher Kimble the cost of an online subscription.

Beth, While it's on my mind...Did you know that Campbells makes a dark sauce mushroom soup. It is great for gravy on the spur of the moment. Nice flavor too, but don't look for any big mushrooms. Maybe they count 5 small pieces and call it Mushroom soup.

393JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, it's a good thing you're doing....making noodles for GD and Tina's potato dumplings.  Everyone gets to have their own special meal.  And you got your own special meal.  Yum.

Oh my goodness, I forgot to tell you about DESSERT!!!!   I MADE DESSERT!

The GS asked "how come we don't have dessert?"   We said no one ever is hungry after a meal...but he said he LIKES dessert.  So this morning I checked the pantry for ideas...cake mix and instant pudding...DD sure does know how to stock a pantry.  LOL  I made a French Vanilla Cake, split a layer in half and made a filling of instant vanilla pudding, topped with the top half of the cake layer.  Then I made a chocolate glaze for the top.  GS was a happy camper with Boston Cream Pie for dessert, even if it was made from mixes.  

We won't have dessert very often, but it won't kill us to have it once in a while.  

I have to have dessert or at least something sweet after a meal. hahahha....
Gues what Tina is hooked on? She just bought a whole case at Sams.
Eggo Blueberry waffles. She toasts a few, and eats them like that with no syrup or butter.
Shnucks...Now I'm wishing for waffles, and I don't think I could hold out till tomorrow for breakfast.
Ahhh! I better have a peach instead. That would make me feel less fat.

394JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:11 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I haven't seen any different cream of mushroom soup at the stores around here, of course, I haven't really looked....

But I'm from that generation who grew up with the creamed canned soups used for just about every meal imaginable. I don't use the canned soups as much as my mother did, for sure, but there are some of my family favorites that just wouldn't be the same without. Like you said, using a can for the base for a gravy is a good start for gravy and sauces. I know my Salisbury steak meal that is Jacob's all time favorite meal has mushroom soup as an ingredient.

395JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:33 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I haven't seen any different cream of mushroom soup at the stores around here, of course, I haven't really looked....

But I'm from that generation who grew up with the creamed canned soups used for just about every meal imaginable.  I don't use the canned soups as much as my mother did, for sure, but there are some of my family favorites that just wouldn't be the same without.  Like you said, using a can for the base for a gravy is a good start for gravy and sauces.  I know my Salisbury steak meal that is Jacob's all time favorite meal has mushroom soup as an ingredient.  

It's gotta be there on the shelves Beth. It's one of those not familiar ones.
The only soups we buy / stock up on, is Tomato / Cream Of Mushroom /
Chicken noodle / and cream of chicken that I don't know why T buys it because No one will eat it!
Let me go see....Nope! No Dark Cream of Mushroom left.
It' called Golden Mushroom... It really is great!

http://www.campbellsoup.com/Products/Condensed/All/2323

396JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:52 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

It's gotta be there on the shelves Beth. It's one of those not familiar ones.
The only soups we buy / stock up on, is Tomato / Cream Of Mushroom /
Chicken noodle / and cream of chicken that I don't know why T buys it because No one will eat it!
Let me go see....Nope! No Dark Cream of Mushroom left.
It' called Golden Mushroom... It really is great!

those are the ones I always have on hand. Except the chix noodle.

I also keep  onion soup.heck I keep cheese soup & a couple others too.OH cream of broccoli..

Jimmy your dinner (s) look good, stuffed cabbage?

397JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:36 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

That stuffed thing I thought was a cabbage,but it was a half of eggplant.
Tina picked it up at a restaurant where she and her Uncle went to have lunch.

398JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:34 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Way to go, Imelda!  Now this is your inspiration for continuing your meatless meals once or twice a week.  And if it's covered with cheese, I'll bet you'll be able to incorporate more vegetables, too.  Turn it into a challenge like when we did the low/no carb meals.  

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 4056093967 

Thank you Beth.. I'll try to stay consistent with it.. I talked to my neighbor friend and she has already given me some ideas, the meals she cooked for her kids when they were little Smile 

399JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:42 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Good To Eat....Without some Meat!
And Cheese is Just Like Stinky Feet! LOL

Looks great Imelda! What Kind of Cheese Did You Use? If I may Ask?

Jimmy.. I used Mexican Blend cheese...  Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Queso Quesadilla and Asadero

400JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I can usually cut meat out of my meals easier than when I tried to eliminate the carbs. That was truly a challenge for the first two or three weeks. But I know now I could return there if I needed or wanted to.

I think the thing you need to do to help is determine all the sources of protein that you and DH like. We know you like cheeses and you can experiment with different kinds. How about including eggs? Then there are beans and legumes. Have you ever tried quinoa? That's a seed that cooks much like rice. I like it with the addition of a lot of vegetables. It's suppose to be one of those "almost perfect" foods due to the protein content, although not so good if you want to limit carbs.

You did great on the last challenge, I'm sure you'll have fun with this one too. I'm really looking forward to pics of what you make!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 16 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum