Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rich Moist Banana Bread

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rich Moist Banana Bread Empty Rich Moist Banana Bread Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:45 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Janet's Rich Banana Bread
Makes 1 loaf. Original recipe by vjonsson, allrecipes.com, but I included my changes and additions. Using a mixer would whip too much air into the bread and take away from its dense quality, so mix this batter by hand. I mashed my bananas with the old-fashioned potato masher, the type with the holes. I wanted a dense really moist loaf of Banana Bread and this came out perfect yesterday.

1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (lime juice okay too)
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3 overripe bananas, mashed (about 1-1/2 to 2 cups)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
2. In small ramekin, cover dried cranberries with hot tap water; plump for 15 minutes; drain and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the melted butter and sugar. Add the eggs, lemon juice and vanilla, mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Stir into the butter/egg mixture until smooth. Finally, mix the sour cream, walnuts, cranberries and bananas together, and fold into the batter Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan.
3. Bake at 350° for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool loaf in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

I searched for a moist banana bread recipe online and settled on this one due to the large number of sterling reviews. I beefed up the banana, mashed them instead of slicing them (??), added some baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice. Well, I'd just made myself a nice Bombay Gin Gimlet, so I used a teaspoon of lime juice instead of lemon since I'd cut a lime open already. I just wanted to add a bit of acid, you know, and figured I'd use what was already "open."

The Vietnamese American man, Thé (pronounced TAY) who used to do my nails for about 8 or 9 years would give me the BEST banana bread every Christmas that his wife baked. It was the best Brian and I had ever had and Thé knew we'd fight over the last piece so then he started giving me two loaves! This evolved into him bringing me a small loaf every time his wife made some, bless his heart. He sold the place a little over a year ago and when we went in on his last day to say goodbye, he slipped Brian a bag containing a loaf of Paulina's banana bread for us! Hers was very moist, almost fell apart when you sliced it, was heavily banana flavored and she put dried cranberries in it -- but you could tell she plumped them up, as they were very moist as well. This bread came out very similar to Paulina's and we were more than pleased. Give it a try the next time you have overripe bananas!

jetfan27 likes this post

2Rich Moist Banana Bread Empty Re: Rich Moist Banana Bread Sat May 02, 2020 2:42 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I made this again but used four overripe bananas instead of three -- it came out great again!

Laughed as I heard the other day on television that many of those staying at home due to the coronavirus are making banana bread!!!

3Rich Moist Banana Bread Empty Re: Rich Moist Banana Bread Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:03 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

Best Ever Banana Bread

2 eggs

½ C vegetable oil

4 bananas, over ripe is the best flavor

1 ½ C sugar

1 ¾ C flour

1 tsp. baking soda

½ tsp. salt

½ C chopped pecans

1 10 oz. package of chocolate chips

Vanilla

Pre heat oven to 325. Spray a 9X5 loaf pan with non stick coating. I use a springform pan. Cream bananas and sugar. Add eggs . Add flour, soda and salt. Slowly add oil while mixing. Add nuts and chocolate chips and pour into pan. Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Rich Moist Banana Bread Img_0012

4Rich Moist Banana Bread Empty Re: Rich Moist Banana Bread Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:50 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

jetfan27 wrote:Best Ever Banana Bread

2 eggs

½ C vegetable oil

4 bananas, over ripe is the best flavor

1 ½ C sugar

1 ¾ C flour

1 tsp. baking soda

½ tsp. salt

½ C chopped pecans

1 10 oz. package of chocolate chips

Vanilla

Pre heat oven to 325. Spray a 9X5 loaf pan with non stick coating. I use a springform pan.  Cream bananas and sugar. Add eggs . Add flour, soda and salt. Slowly add oil while mixing. Add nuts and chocolate chips and pour into pan. Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Oh my, I just baked Egg bread using your recipe yesterday, and today I saw your name in this forum. Here is my jalapeno chives cheese bread Rich Moist Banana Bread 835c4b10

jetfan27 likes this post

5Rich Moist Banana Bread Empty Re: Rich Moist Banana Bread Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:58 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

They are beautiful!

Imelda HL likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum