Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Home Renovations, 2020

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Renovations, 2020 Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:Everything is looking really good, Beth!

Thanks, Michelle ~ it's coming along.

27Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Renovations, 2020 Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The marble guys came today to measure the shower pan for the guest bathroom and delivered the countertop/sinks. So the master bath got the sink top installed.....just a bit of wall repair to do and it'll be a finished room!

Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 01_28_11

The tile guys were here and laid the tile in the kitchen and the guest bathroom. They'll return tomorrow and do the grout. Then I can start cleaning it up in there to rid the countertop & backsplash, etc. of all the dust that's still floating. I can't wait for it to get taken care of.

Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 01_28_12

28Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Renovations, 2020 Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My kitchen floor got grouted today, as well as the guest bath. Tomorrow they're suppose to come and texture the rest of the ceilings so, hopefully, Dane can get them painted this weekend.

The end is in sight!

Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 01_29_10

29Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Renovations, 2020 Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today the floor in the living area got finished and some of the base installed.  Just have the guest bedroom to have the flooring done.  Dane got the walls painted in the living/dining area and still has the kitchen, computer room and guest bedroom to do, as well as the guest bath when it's got everything installed.  We're estimating it should be done sometime next week.

But then there are the 'add-ons', like cabinet drawers that I didn't know Patrick builds & installs.  I'm still looking for a roll-out insert for my two blind corner cabinets.  I found what I wanted but my cabinets aren't the right size so I have to keep looking.  

I got the refrigerator washed out ~ how can there be DUST inside my refrigerator???  Gross.  But, on a happier note:  The glass from the bottom of the refrigerator shelf AND the full width sliding drawer actually fit inside my new BIG sink!  Man, I love that sink.

We actually got to eat at our table tonight:

Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 01_31_10

Patrick did the trim moulding around the pocket door today. It looks like it's always been there, matching the trim that's around all the other interior doors. Unfortunately, after he left for the day I noticed he put two knobs on the door. Nope. Change.....I want the inset handle and 'flippy' door pull so the door, when open, is flush in the wall and not extending two inches into the doorway.

It's like the toilet seat he installed in the master bath. I didn't know the seat was the one that came WITH the toilet. I said I wanted to 'trade-up' to a solid, smooth seat. The one that came with it flexed when I sat on it when it was closed. And the seat itself wasn't flat on the bottom but molded and I don't even want to think of what a mess it would be to keep clean.

So, today, before he got here I was out and about picking up things and I got two wooden seats, one to change out in the master and one to go in the guest bath when that is installed. As soon as I got in the house I had to 'go' and went to the bathroom and discovered he had changed out that seat as a 'surprise' for me. I just laughed and said, "Great minds think alike! Thank you."

30Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Renovations, 2020 Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:46 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:We actually got to eat at our table tonight:

Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 01_31_10

Does this room flow into other living areas where this floor continues, Beth? Just curious since it's different from the kitchen floor.

Everything is looking really good! And the end is in sight now, too!!

31Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Renovations, 2020 Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

Does this room flow into other living areas where this floor continues, Beth? Just curious since it's different from the kitchen floor.

Everything is looking really good! And the end is in sight now, too!!

Yes, Michelle, the wood plank flooring is in all living areas & bedrooms and only the kitchen and bathrooms are tiled in porcelain tiles. The house flows from kitchen to dining area to living area to computer room with the 2 bedrooms and baths to the side.

32Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Renovations, 2020 Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane painted this weekend. He has all the walls painted ~ just has to do cutting in around the ceiling after they texture it and he gets that painted with primer and then ceiling white. He's waiting to do the trim until they're done. I can't believe how much he's got to be saving us in $$$ by doing the painting. He says he likes to do it ~ NOT ME! I can do it but I don't like to do it.

So, Michelle, here are pics for you.....

My new dining chandelier:

Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 02_02_15

Looking from the entry way to the computer room at the end of the house (with a patio door):

Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 02_02_16

Looking from the master bedroom doorway to the living/dining/kitchen areas:

Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 02_02_17

33Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Renovations, 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:36 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Everything looks really nice, Beth! I agree -- I'm sure you two saved a bundle by having Dane do all the painting (and you helping, of course). Good for you!!!

34Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Renovations, 2020 Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today they completed the flooring in the guest room & put up the baseboards so, except for painting, the room is done.  The marble shower guys were here and installed the walls and trim in the guest bathroom and completed the trim work in the master bath.  What a mess to have to endure!  I am so happy to have it done.  The light at the end of the tunnel is brighter!  

There are two new patio doors leaning against the house out in the courtyard.  They'll be installed in the next couple days.  

The guest bath needs the toilet installed and the vanity cabinets & countertop and that will be complete (except for the paint which Dane will whip through in no time ~ probably tomorrow after he gets home from golf).

Master shower trim complete:

Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 02_05_12

Guest bath huge shower stall done:

Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 02_05_14

35Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Renovations, 2020 Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:58 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Waw, beautifully done Beth, and very fast progress, in only a month you had your house ready, beautiful. We, too, really need to install tiles to replace our carpet, we had it estimated, it needs $$$$ to do it, we also need a new counter tops, new kitchen cabinets, new showers, new blinds for our windows, new everything. Not to mention new appliance ( fridge and dryer). I guess we have to do it one after another. First thing first, we need to take care of the tax, since Dirk went back to work, we owe a lot more this year Arrow

36Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Renovations, 2020 Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:30 pm

JanaAZ

I’ve been watching your posts and am so glad it’s you this time and not me

I got so sick of subway tile however yours is so different....it’s fabulous. And I love how they installed it above your stove. You’re going to be so happy when it’s done and you get to use it

37Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Renovations, 2020 Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, Judy.  I agonized about the backsplash tile but fell in love with it when it was installed.  It turned out just as I had imagined in my mind. It's a subway style but in a 4" X 12" so it's a bit longer than the normal subway. The grey shading really helped bring out the grey in the quartz countertop and tone down the oak cabinets. I knew I wanted the floor set in a herringbone pattern from the get-go so it just made sense to me to do the same as an accent at the range. And if I ever need to replace my induction range (which I LOVE, by the way), I'll hopefully be able to go with the pricier slide-in and show more of the accent tile.

But, boy, I'd hate to do this for a living!  I don't think I could take the 'second guessing' I do with myself.

38Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Renovations, 2020 Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane installed my new Blind Corner Cabinet Inserts today. We weren't positive the same 18" insert would work in both cabinets as the cabinet opening on the right is narrower than the left. So I ordered a 15" size. Turns out it would have been fine. But they're both installed and will work out just fine.

I have to cut and secure some shelf plastic on the wire baskets before I put stuff in them. I'm just really happy Dane didn't have any problem installing them ~ and that they work!

These are almost as much fun as a new kitchen 'gadget'!

Insert as door is opened:

Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 02_25_12

Insert extended to allow access for corner of cabinet:

Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 02_25_13

Both corner cabinet inserts fully extended:

Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 02_25_14

39Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Renovations, 2020 Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today Stanley Steamer came and cleaned the HVAC air ducts, sprayed some sort of sealer to encapsulate the duct work and installed a UV light thingy to eliminate mold, pollen and other stuff.

I purposely dusted MY bedside table and NOT Dane's to see if I notice a difference in the next couple days.

Of course, there's still dust in the house ~ floors, bedding (even though I've washed everything.....it's like it GROWS in the fabrics) and curtains. But it would be nice if I didn't have 1/4" of dust on my table in two days.

40Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Renovations, 2020 Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:22 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I have a corner cabinet but it has a hinged-door on it so we don't have that problem like you guys did. But we have been in love with all of the slide-out thingies I had installed in the lower cabinets as it's heaven not to have to get down on my knees to get things out of the back of the cabinets! You'll love these, I'm sure.

41Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Renovations, 2020 Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup ~ sure will love 'em......at least IF I could purge of stuff I don't use. I have too much. I know I need to get rid of unused....but I just CAN'T! I should, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of stuff I like to use once in a while.

I need to go to a 12-step program for kitchen hoarders.........

42Home Renovations, 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: Home Renovations, 2020 Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:19 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I'm in much the same boat as far as too much STUFF in the kitchen. I've stopped buying kitchen stuff but years of doing so means I'm still dealing with where to put stuff.

When we bought this house and moved in Sept. 1998, the movers stacked all the boxes marked KITCHEN on my dining room table. There were probably 15 or 20 big boxes of stuff. I thought my mom was going to pass out when she saw it! She said, "Where did you have all that stuff in your last apartment as that kitchen was so small?" I laughed and told her there was an unbelievable amount of storage in that pretty small kitchen. Thank God we had a good place for a pot rack which we hurried up and got 'cause it would've been impossible to get to the right pot when I needed it!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum