Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Caramelized Onions (Made in the Oven)

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Caramelized Onions (Made in the Oven) Empty Caramelized Onions (Made in the Oven) Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:57 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Caramelized Onions (Made in the Oven)
Yield: 2 cups/ Nearly as good as stovetop/ Recipe from thecookful.com
These onions were nearly indistinguishable from the stovetop onions in both appearance and flavor, and also required less babysitting.

2 Tablespoons of olive oil
2 to 3 onions, cut in half pole to pole, then sliced 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick
1/4 cup red or white wine, beer, broth, balsamic vinegar, or water for deglazing
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat your oven to 400°F. Combine the oil and onions in a nonstick Dutch oven [spray with Pam]. Cover the Dutch oven with a lid. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until the onions are deep brown in color.
Remove the pan from the oven, add the deglazing liquid, and quickly scrape up the fond from the bottom and sides of the pan. Season with salt and pepper.

Note from Michelle: I ended up cooking mine for 60 minutes; when I came back after the onions had cooled, they were appreciably darker than they were when first taken off the heat. So they might not have needed the extra 15 minutes in the oven.

JanaAZ

I may have to try this. I was going to make some anyway and the thought of doing it in the oven sounds appealing. Thanks for posting.

Crybaby

Crybaby

It was wayyy too easy to do it in the oven, Judy. And if you're busy in the kitchen anyway, you're right there to stir the pot every quarter-hour.

If you're home now, what about posting your recipe for Poblano Bisque that I couldn't get via an outdated link. I sure would like to get it. I have 4 pretty poblano peppers that I planned to stuff with some chorizo bread stuffing but I'd rather use them in some soup if you have access to your recipe. Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum