Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking??

+3
Niagara Visitor
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

101APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:53 pm

NormM

NormM

We had what seems to be one of Charlie's favorites.  Smoked sausage with cabbage. I substitute slaw mix because a whole head of cabbage is too much and we like to add egg noodles to the recipe.  also I wanted to use these noodles which were what was APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 20190421left after I made them for another recipe earlier.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

102APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:12 am

JanaAZ

NormM wrote:I made chicken wings in the oven. The recipe made them crispy and a little charred but I should have taken them out about 30 seconds sooner.  The recipe was good anyway... a keeper.APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 20190415
APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 20190416

Looks good to me

103APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:17 am

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:Yesterday was pierogi day. Our dinner will be leftovers. Polish sausage, sauerkraut, pierogi, stuffed cabbage and kolachke. Yum

Judy, I wanted to reach into the screen when I saw your stuffed cabbage......I'm not Polish but I could easily eat all that food on a regular basis.  It looked like everyone had a great time working together.

Thanks. I can’t confirm if it was good. There wasn’t any left and somebody absconded with the container I kept for us. I guess it was good. Lol

We usually have much more food but I am not home now and I didn’t want a bunch of leftovers. Guess I should have realized that it wasn’t going to happen. Lol

104APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:20 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I enlarged the photo so I could pretend I was eating them.
They look so delicious.

105APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:

Thanks. I can’t confirm if it was good.  There wasn’t any left and somebody absconded with the container I kept for us. I guess it was good. Lol

OMG! That's grounds for a Police Report at the very least..........the Good Stuff Police Squad! Hahahahahaha!

106APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had thawed a whole chicken that I planned to spatchcock and cook on the grill. Unfortunately, Mother Nature decided to send a rain storm our way ~ a bunch of wind (tornados reported somewhere around us but nothing severe in our immediate area) and I just checked since the rain has stopped and the skies are clearing.....we got about 3/4".

So, since I couldn't grill out and I didn't want to have chicken spattering all over the inside of the oven (such a mess to clean up.....) I thought it's been a while since I cooked chicken pieces in a sauce and finished in the oven for about 40 minutes until it was tender and fall-off-the-bone. I seasoned the dark meat pieces (saved the boneless/skin-on breasts in the freezer for other meals) with some of the Cajun and Lawry's Seasoned Salt and browned them in my big cast iron skillet. I took them out and added some chopped onion, chopped hot banana pepper and half a package of mushrooms to the pan. Then I kind of cobbled together a sauce of sorts with the last of the creme fraiche (doesn't curdle even when boiled....good stuff) and chicken stock ~ a little of this and a little of that ~ and then put the not completely cooked chicken pieces back in. Into the oven at 325° for about 40 minutes.

Made some packaged noodles (unlike Mr. Norm who had REAL noodles.....so, SO good!), browned the leftover beans with the Penzey seasoning and used the last of the leaf lettuce for a wilted lettuce salad.

And that was supper. Two chicken legs and some sauce leftover for someone's lunch in the next couple days ~ but a pretty good 'two-person-only' meal.

I hate leftovers!

APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 04_19_10

107APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:We had what seems to be one of Charlie's favorites.  Smoked sausage with cabbage. I substitute slaw mix because a whole head of cabbage is too much and we like to add egg noodles to the recipe.  also I wanted to use these noodles which were what was left after I made them for another recipe earlier.

Don't you love it when you hit on an EASY meal that becomes a family favorite? I had been making it for years before finding out it had a 'name' in the Hungarian and Polish neighborhoods around us. And I love your idea of using the preshredded slaw mix! Sometimes I do a really rough chop on the cabbage and don't cook it down until tender and it's a completely different taste. Fun to experiment.

There are usually slight differences in how it's made by each ethnic area but it's basically the same meal.

108APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made 2 small sliders with ground beef and cheese.
It was so tasty. ....
I'm sitting here, and thinking... Ohhhhh! Sx!t... I ate MEAT on Holy Friday.
I didn't mean to. In that case, I guess it's not a sin.

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

109APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:11 pm

Niagara Visitor

For the first time in a very long time, I had breakfast for dinner. Scrambled eggs on two grilled portobello mushrooms. Yum

110APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:41 pm

NormM

NormM

The first time I heard of cabbage and noodles together it was when I was a kid at a church that was mostly German Lutheran and I thought it sounded icky.  It wasn't until recently that I tried it and its good.

111APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:43 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:The first time I heard of cabbage and noodles together it was when I was a kid at a church that was mostly German Lutheran and I thought it sounded icky.  It wasn't until recently that I tried it and its good.

We make cabbage and Bowtie Pasta. ( The large bow ties )

112APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:06 pm

Niagara Visitor

Made devilled eggs twice............. once yesterday to take to my sis's and today some to take to son and DIL's tomorrow. Michael has a smoker and is doing his first brisket tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to that. I guess the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree............ one son big time into fishing, the other now into smoking................. I guess that is like having a firepit, sort of. LOL

113APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:55 pm

JanaAZ

NormM wrote:We have been invited to a brunch at my sisters for Easter.  If we hadn't, instead of ham, I was going to see if I could find a rabbit. Smile

Oh that poor bunny. Thank goodness you’re going out. Lol

114APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:Made devilled eggs twice............. once yesterday to take to my sis's and today some to take to son and DIL's tomorrow.  Michael has a smoker and is doing his first brisket tomorrow.  I'm really looking forward to that.  I guess the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree............ one son big time into fishing, the other now into smoking................. I guess that is like having a firepit, sort of. LOL

And when it warms enough for fishing season might you have some lovely smoked fish in your future?

It's one of Dane's favorites ~ a good white fish with a light smoke, a few crackers and a bottle of hot sauce.

115APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went to the store with the idea of getting a nice piece of cod for our supper. What I saw in the case was labeled "FRESH ~ NEVER FROZEN" but it looked far from 'fresh' to me, even from the far side of the glass case. Looked more like 2 week old air dried and going 'south' filets to me.

So, I moved on.

Ended up in the produce / fruit section and came upon a 'new-to-me' ORANGE Spaghetti Squash. It was the same price as the regular, pale yellow outside spaghetti squash ($1.49/lb ~ ridiculous, I know, but what's a person to do???). I knew I had marinara stashed in the freezer so I changed my menu then and there and got the squash and a couple bakery rolls (my treat for eating what I consider to be a very 'light' supper).

The squash baked up nicely but I had to put it on a rack to let some of the excess water drain off, usually indicating it was picked 'green'. But the taste was really good and we both enjoyed it.

As usual, I ate half of mine with some butter and s&p and the other half with marinara.

APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 04_20_10

116APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:07 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We picked to eat. We did have fried eggs for lunch.
We were picking on kielbasa and potato salad.

117APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Our weather was perfect today for grilling out ~ about 60° when I got up and was sunny all day, topping out about 78°. When I checked the supply of hardwood charcoal I was relieved to find there was more than enough to cook our steak. Phew! I made a note on the grocery list so, hopefully, it won't be forgotten again.

APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 04_21_10

APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 04_21_11

118APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was an Easter Feast....as usual.

119APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just got finished with a pasta salad for supper. It's a bunch of chopped vegetables and a tiny bit of elbow macaroni with bottled Italian salad dressing. I used every vegetable I had in the refrigerator....carrots, celery, cucumber, radishes, tomatoes and some Klamata olives. I even added a sprinkle of some 'green bottle' Parmesan cheese that I don't remember buying.

120APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was better than I anticipated......I was going to grill some 'New-To-Me' brand of natural casing frankfurter and we're really pretty picky about the seasoning and texture of our hot dogs.  I know, I know ~ 'Quit Yer Bit*hin'.....you're talking about a HOT DOG!  But when you only eat them once in a great while you want something enjoyable.  It has to have great "S*N*A*P !!!" when you bite into it, even if it's popped open on the grill.  And you have to be able to get the broken edges of the busted open dog to crisp up over the hot coals.  

Who'd a thunk I put so much thought into a lousy hot dog???  LOL

I found these natural casing frankfurters at one of our WalMart's ~ only one carries them, not both in our area (go figure....).  They're called Thumann's and they're produced in Carlstadt, NJ.

Jimmy's neck of the woods ~ ~ well, kind of ~ ~ maybe........ (Really, I have no clue how close but I know it's closer to Jimmy than to ME!)

APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 04_23_10

The beans were Bush's ~ with the addition of a chopped slice of bacon fried up crisp to stir in after heating ~ and some onions softened in a bit of the bacon fat.....we do love our onions!

The chili sauce was just some Hormel No Beans heated in the microwave.  I love Jimmy's Greek Chili Sauce but I only need half of a 10.5 oz. can of chili for the two of us and it just doesn't make sense to cook up a batch of the good stuff only to let it get old and freezer burned storing it for a couple years in the freezer.  I did make it one time for a patio party and it was a huge hit.  

APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 04_23_11

121APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:31 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thumanns is in Carlstadt NJ which is nowhere near us, or even close to us, but
Tina worked with a German butcher ( Alfred ), who worked there on the weekends.
They had the strictest line policy ever. Cleanliness is their first priority.
As an example, if a worker is on the line, and sneezes, they are pulled off the line, and required to re-suit and re-mask.

We love their products. Bologna and Liverwurst are excellent; as well as the hot dogs.

122APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:55 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We were eating all day.
Tina invited her friend over for lunch, and we picked on leftovers.
Supper, was the same. The Son and DIL came over after work, and again, we picked on a multitude of leftovers.

123APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:49 pm

NormM

NormM

I used a chicken recipe recently posted by Beth but substituted pork chops.  It was good.APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 20190423

124APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was spaghetti with tuna and breadcrumbs. Lemon juice as we eat it.

125APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? - Page 5 Empty Re: APRIL 2019 ...What's Cooking?? Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:17 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I used a chicken recipe recently posted by Beth but substituted pork chops.  It was good.

Looks good, Norm. I'm sure June would be pleased you enjoyed the dish!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum