Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Are Your Eating Habits??

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What Are Your Eating Habits?? Empty What Are Your Eating Habits?? Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:38 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had to start this, after biting my cheek, and getting hollered at that I Eat Too Fast! ....

I thought I just ate a little faster than normal, but Is There a normal speed to eat and chew??

I do not like food in my mouth at the point it is chewed so fine, it loses interest and taste. I know there was / is a rule that we chew each bite 30 times. What!!!
If I get to 6 chews, that's a lot.

It's like yesterday. Tina ladled the noodles, and the soup, and I started in immediately, to the point that I burned my tongue only three times. Then came the spoon fulls of nice hot soup one right after the other. I can't stand eating cold or just lukewarm soup.
Same with cold eggs! Don't like cold eggs. I will sit to a 3 egg srambled breakfast, and in 2 minutes, all my eggs are finished.
I don't diddly fart around when it's time to eat.

Tina said I should make eating a slow process; so it lasts longer and will fill me up enough that I won't like eating seconds.... hahahaha...Are you kidding! As I eat the first plate, my mind is what to add to my seconds plate.

Wow...it's 3:30, I better get to sleep before I start looking for something to eat.

So, what about YOU? Do you have any spectacular eating habits??
Does not have to be your chewing habits ( although that is funny to hear ), but it could be any eating habit. Like never using jelly on toast, or never eating with your fingers.
BTW....I am a big fan of finger licking. I don't like to get my napkin dirty. I pre-wash before wiping with the napkin.

2What Are Your Eating Habits?? Empty Re: What Are Your Eating Habits?? Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:49 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

I tend to eat fast, especially when eating at home.  For some reason, I don't seem to eat as fast when we go out to dinner; why, I don't know but perhaps because I'm savoring the food, the location and being waited on (we usually go out to nice restaurants when we go out).  

I know I should eat slower but I guess it's just a habit.  Brian is still often surprised to look over and see I'm almost finished my plate when his is still half full -- and he's a big man, 6'4".  I do think you eat a lot less when you eat slower; whenever I was trying to lose a few pounds, I made an effort to not only eat slower but to put my fork down occasionally and take a drink or just enjoy our dinner conversation.  I really noticed how much less I ate when doing those two things.  

Most nights, unless I'm starving or the specific dishes we're eating require it, I serve myself on a salad plate (my china has 8-1/2" salad plates).  I do this because my eyes are usually bigger than my stomach, and then, like a kid, I do tend to clean my plate.  So I often end up too full if I serve myself too much.  A smaller plate and eating slower will also help you eat less if you're so desiring.  And, of course, I don't mind if my food touches!  Laughing

Like you, Jimmy, I do like my food hot, especially soup!  I'll often heat the soup bowls with water in the microwave like we do coffee cups in the morning if we're having soup.  The nice thing is my stove now has a warming drawer with three heat levels so I can use that reasonably big drawer to heat up plates or bowls now instead of the nuker.  Much better, as I don't have to dry them!

Last edited by Crybaby on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

3What Are Your Eating Habits?? Empty Re: What Are Your Eating Habits?? Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:I tend to eat fast, especially when eating at home.  For some reason, I don't seem to eat as fast when we go out to dinner; why, I don't know but perhaps because I'm savoring the food, the location and being waited on (we usually go out to nice restaurants when we go out).  

I know I should eat slower but I guess it's just a habit.  Brian is still often surprised to look over and see I'm almost finished my plate when his is still half full -- and he's a big man, 6'4".  I do think you eat a lot less when you eat slower; whenever I was trying to lose a few pounds, I made an effort to not only eat slower but to put my fork down occasionally and take a drink or just enjoy our dinner conversation.  I really noticed how much less I ate when doing those two things.  

Most nights, unless I'm starving or the specific dishes we're eating require it, I serve myself on a salad plate (my china has 8-1/2" salad plates).  I do this because my eyes are usually bigger than my stomach, and then, like a kid, I do tend to clean my plate.  So I often end up too full if I serve myself too much.  A smaller plate and eating slower will also help you eat less if you're so desiring.  And, of course, I don't mind if my food touches!  Laughing

Like you, Jimmy, I do like my food hot, especially soup!  I'll often heat the soup bowls with water in the microwave like we do coffee cups in the morning if we're having soup.  The nice thing is my stove now has a warming drawer with three heat levels so I can use that reasonably big drawer to heat up plates or bowls now instead of the nuker.  Much better, as I don't have to dry them!

Oh this was great to hear! .... I like the idea of the salad plate 8-1/2 inches.
I guess it's mind over matter.
I hate ice cold plates especially for eggs or waffles etc. I always set the plates in the oven at 115 degrees to be warm when plating the eggs or whatever.
Now, a funny thing. I could eat an egg omelet at room temperature with no problem. Probably because I add so much tabasco sauce. hahahahahaha

BTW.... I had mentioned this on other forums, but I get a kick out of watching how people eat.

4What Are Your Eating Habits?? Empty Re: What Are Your Eating Habits?? Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:59 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:BTW.... I had mentioned this on other forums, but I get a kick out of watching how people eat.

Brian laughs at me when we're eating out and I'm looking around at other people. I'm amazed when I notice a man and a woman at a table for two and they're not even talking to one another! They might as well be eating in prison! (I watch too much "Lockup" on MSNBC, I guess.) I often wonder if they even enjoy one another's company. Brian will tease me sometimes and say something like, "He's probably enjoying the silence!" just to get a rise out of me.

I guess I just enjoy eating out at a nice restaurant. You can talk and enjoy your cocktail or wine and let somebody else not only cook the meal but serve it and clean up afterwards so you can sit and talk some more over coffee (and Brian almost always has dessert, whereas I'd rather get an appetizer, soup and an entrée (or another appetizer for my entrée) and skip dessert.

5What Are Your Eating Habits?? Empty Re: What Are Your Eating Habits?? Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:13 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe can finish off a whole hamburger while I am still chewing my first bite. He wolfs down his food so fast that his stomach doesn't have time to tell him he is full until it is too late. I think men just eat fast or it could be that he came from a family of 6 kids and had to eat fast in order to get enough to eat before it was all gone.
I eat slow. Katie is even worse. It can take her an hour to eat.

6What Are Your Eating Habits?? Empty Re: What Are Your Eating Habits?? Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:57 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

I usually eat very slow. I am always the last to finish my meal..

Sometimes, I do eat fast.. it was a learned experience from working..Lunch is always fast.. a sandwich, is fast..

Soup is always slow. I like it hot, but not to the point where I burn my mouth..so I do wait a few before starting it.

When I go out to eat, I am always the last to finish..so slow.. and I love to people watch.. that is the best thing about going out to eat! People Watch!!!

Yes, I am a lurker.... scratch

7What Are Your Eating Habits?? Empty Re: What Are Your Eating Habits?? Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:I usually eat very slow. I am always the last to finish my meal..

Sometimes, I do eat fast.. it was a learned experience from working..Lunch is always fast.. a sandwich, is fast..

Soup is always slow. I like it hot, but not to the point where I burn my mouth..so I do wait a few before starting it.

When I go out to eat, I am always the last to finish..so slow.. and I love to people watch.. that is the best thing about going out to eat! People Watch!!!    

Yes, I am a lurker.... scratch

Haaaaaa! .... Thats funny.

Me, the only time I eat slow, is when I bite my cheek or my tongue. Then I start slow, but if I bite it again,......I'm done eating.
I don't know why that happens. ? ? ?
I do take big bites though! A few times, I will even bite by fingers when eating finger food, or a sandwich!

8What Are Your Eating Habits?? Empty Re: What Are Your Eating Habits?? Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:41 am

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

Jimmy, my husband also eats fast as well, but he grew up on a farm, and where he didn't have time to eat at a slow pace.

I however eat at a much slower pace, and 'am always the last one still eating, even if were dining out, or eating with others at family gatherings.

Jimmy and Cookinggirl, I am one of those people who doesn't like people watching me eat, and I don't care to watch other people eat.  I'd rather indulge in conversation with who'm ever is dining out with me.

9What Are Your Eating Habits?? Empty Re: What Are Your Eating Habits?? Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:00 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

1DomesticGoddess wrote:Jimmy, my husband also eats fast as well, but he grew up on a farm, and where he didn't have time to eat at a slow pace.

I however eat at a much slower pace, and 'am always the last one still eating, even if were dining out, or eating with others at family gatherings.

Jimmy and Cookinggirl, I am one of those people who doesn't like people watching me eat, and I don't care to watch other people eat.  I'd rather indulge in conversation with who'm ever is dining out with me.

I remember in the 80's, there was a remake of the old Candid Camera TV shows. There was one sequel that they secretly filmed people eating southern fried chicken while sitting in the booths. It was so funny. One young guy picked off the breading with his fingers, little pinches at the time, and then when done, he threw the chicken away; covering it with a napkin.

10What Are Your Eating Habits?? Empty Re: What Are Your Eating Habits?? Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:28 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

My BIL picks the chocolate off a piece of See's candy and leaves the filling behind in the box. As if you would want to eat it after it has been stripped.

11What Are Your Eating Habits?? Empty Re: What Are Your Eating Habits?? Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:My BIL picks the chocolate off a piece of See's candy and leaves the filling behind in the box. As if you would want to eat it after it has been stripped.

OOooo! THat sees candy is delivious .... LOve the peanut brittle.
There is a mall in Bridgewater that hs an outlet store.

Just got back from the eye sugery this morning. Trying to type with one eye looking. What a Face

12What Are Your Eating Habits?? Empty Re: What Are Your Eating Habits?? Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:40 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Just got back from the eye sugery this morning. Trying to type with one eye looking.  What a Face

Presume everything went okay, Jimmy?  I'm hoping since you're around that all is good!

13What Are Your Eating Habits?? Empty Re: What Are Your Eating Habits?? Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:Just got back from the eye sugery this morning. Trying to type with one eye looking.  What a Face

Presume everything went okay, Jimmy?  I'm hoping since you're around that all is good!

Yup!..... just waiting for the fog to clear....LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum