Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER

+4
NormM
Niagara Visitor
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 15]

126"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:58 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I guess I'm just a product of my upbringing. Animals were 'service animals' when I was growing up. We had a dog (rat terrier) who was allowed to be in the house as she was a 'watch dog' in case anyone came to the door. When you lived on a farm you never knew who might be stopping by for any number of reasons. Penny (the dog) wouldn't let anyone in the door unless instructed to. She was also an excellent 'critter intruder' sentinel. She could take out an opossum or raccoon faster than any dog I've ever seen.

We also had about 15 cats.....all outside. They took care of the rodent problems around the barn. They got fed once a day (there was always water available in any number of places back then). They ate dog food mixed with table scraps and seemed to not mind one bit. In the winter time the number of cats would drop due to some wandering off for warmer places or they would be unsuccessful in their attempts to cross the road. But, come spring, the numbers would sky rocket again, either from births or people dropping their animals off in the country because they were tired of them.

So, when our girls wanted to get a pet cat (after I had to put down my beloved boxer/retriever, BC) I said, "fine, as long as it/they live in the garage". Well, within a month one of the two cats we got made the unsuccessful stroll across the street so the other cat instantly became a house cat....and we had him for 17 years. When I had to make the decision to have him put down our youngest daughter was 23 and living out of the house. Because I took Skeeter to the vet without her (I couldn't deal with the deed as well as HER drama crying.....), I've been known as the Cat Murderer ever since. ((sigh))

127"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:

Or you can get a carpet and furniture that matches the cat.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 2876911673 "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 2876911673 "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 2876911673

128"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:16 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:When I had to make the decision to have him put down our youngest daughter was 23 and living out of the house. Because I took Skeeter to the vet without her (I couldn't deal with the deed as well as HER drama crying.....), I've been known as the Cat Murderer ever since. ((sigh))

There's nothing harder than putting a pet to sleep. But, as difficult as it is, it is indeed what a responsible pet owner does. I've cried buckets when I've had to do this, but I held the dog and cat in my arms until they went to sleep. It killed me but I felt I owed it to a treasured pet. And I always pay for the procedure prior to beginning it. That way after I held my pet for a while sobbing the whole time, I could just pick up and hurry back to my car. Very unfair of your daughter but then you know that. You were the Cat Hero that day!

129"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:24 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I've got a pound of mushrooms I want to use so tonight we're having Salisbury Steaks, something I never used to like but Brian always did.  Beth posted a recipe from Cuisine at Home magazine a while back and I tried it out as I had some freshly ground ground beef.  Very, very good.  The only change I made was adding mushrooms and using fresh garlic instead of garlic powder. It's very good.

Brian said he would peel some potatoes (the yellow ones!) for me so I could make mashed potatoes.  He's not a potato fan but will eat mashed if they have TONS of gravy on them, which they will.  

I'm not sure of a side yet but think I will have broccoli, which he doesn't like either.

130"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Michelle ~ do you cook your broccoli in the microwave? That has got to be the easiest way ever. I always put water in a pan, got out the steamer basket, put the cut broccoli into the steamer....yada, yada, yada......usually let it get overdone.

DD#1 (the cooking daughter) said to put the cut broccoli into your serving bowl, add 1 Tbsp. of water, cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 3 minutes, allow to sit for 3 minutes ~ then pull up a tiny edge of the wrap and drain. Remove the wrap, season with whatever you prefer. Done perfectly every time.

Works for cauliflower, also....or a mix of broccoli and cauliflower.....if you want it 'pretty', microwave some sliced carrots for 2 minutes and then add your cut broccoli & cauliflower ~ it's all done at the same time then and the colors are magnificent!

131"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:31 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

I kind of cooked today. I had a an oven baked chicken breast which was marinated with Penzey's Northwoods Seasoning; and 1/2 of the honey nut squash, which I picked up at Trader Joes..

I really do like that squash. It is a perfect size for one person, without having tons of leftover squash.

For those who do not know what a HoneyNut Squash is: It is a mini or baby butternut squash. It is so small and petite, but the flavor is not. It is full of sweetness... just butter, salt and pepper.. yum..

leftovers for tomorrow.

132"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just had one of those packets of Spanish rice with vermicelli in it.
It was ok. Then I had 1/2 a bagel, with hard salami; and then folded.
We have mini cupcakes for dessert.

Not much cooking this week. I go for cataract surgery for the left eye tomorrow am.
Had to take Tina to the orthopedic Dr. yesterday. She has inflamed tendons at the left rotator cuff.
She was injected with medicine.  You think she would rest?... NO! ... She won't listen!

I don't even know why she goes to the doctors. Mad

133"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed out a big meatloaf I had in the freezer.....took two days in the refrigerator and all day today sitting in the sink to completely thaw. I needed it completely thawed so I could mix in the eggs that I forgot when I mixed it up originally. So I ended up making little individual meatloafs, baked on a rack in a 425° oven. Mine got a seasoned ketchup glaze, HIS got baked plain (too many calories in the ketchup and brown sugar ~ too bad, so sad! LOL) I baked the second delicata squash I picked up at Trader Joe's (absolutely wonderful) and threw a bag of mixed veg into the microwave. Supper was good.

I took two of the mini meatloafs over to the neighbors. She told me this morning she had to drive to Orlando tomorrow for a check on her knee replacement. I figured she'd like not having to cook much tomorrow night, just reheat the already cooked meatloaf. Boy, was she happy! She's a good cook but she's tired of it....heck, she's 82 and she's cooked all she ever wanted to. She'd rather go with something frozen or go out to eat now days ~ and I don't blame her one bit.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 IMG_20161012_172941838

134"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:42 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:DD#1 (the cooking daughter) said to put the cut broccoli into your serving bowl, add 1 Tbsp. of water, cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 3 minutes, allow to sit for 3 minutes ~ then pull up a tiny edge of the wrap and drain. Remove the wrap, season with whatever you prefer. Done perfectly every time.

This is pretty much what I do, Beth, but I usually use a flat container (like an 8x8-inch Pyrex dish) so the broccoli is on one level instead of being stacked up. I use only a dribble of water from the faucet and then cover with cling wrap in which I poke a couple of holes with a knife. I nuke it for a minute, then 30 seconds at a time until it's almost done. She's right about letting it sit for a bit, too. Believe it or not, I think this is what the directions said to do when I got my first microwave...

The microwave is really good for cooking a lot of vegetables in a convenient fashion.

135"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Mr. Amazing went grocery shopping with me this morning....Surprise!!! He must have wanted to be sure we got what HE wanted (as if I would ever conveniently 'forget' his notations on the grocery list!). We went to Aldi and got a bunch of stuff from the list that is cheaper there than anywhere else - example: 45 tall kitchen waste bags w/drawstring were $4.99 at Aldi. 40 of the same type were $6.99 at Walmart (the second cheapest place). If you know your prices you can really have a savings by shopping at those places. We went to Walmart for the things Aldi doesn't carry and finally ended up at Winn Dixie for meats that were BOGO.

I picked up a couple London Broil, enough for 4 meals w/leftovers for salad, for $20 and I made a double batch of my Provencal marinade to put on the steaks to put in the freezer, got a package of chicken wings ~ Oh, my, but we were both hungry for those ~ for around $13, which will be enough for 2-1/2 meals. And I was disgusted with the price of cut chicken so I ended up with 2 whole chickens that I broke down in my own kitchen at $1/lb....enough for about 6 meals.

And now I'm pooped....got him to empty (and re-load) the dishwasher. We're having wings on the grill (TWO happy people anticipating supper) so he didn't argue when I asked him to take over the dishwasher task because I was tired from standing and breaking down all the meat.

He's pretty good when I have a full day and ask for help. It doesn't happen often so he no longer questions 'why' I'm tired. He knew I processed a lot of meat for meals and I think my offer of wings on the grill was enough to get him to do anything I asked! LOL

136"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

How could I have his wings without his favorite vegetable.....LIMA BEANS ???

It assures me he'll clean up the kitchen, load the dishwasher and when the grill is cool, he'll cover it and push it back to it's place next to the house. By the time I'm done fixing supper my day is done ~ and, yes, I am spoiled! LOL

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 IMG_20161013_174233027_HDR

My wings ~ the flappers ~ get mixed around in a big bowl with some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. HIS drumettes get a stir in a bit of hot and spicy 'Fricker's Little Kicker' sauce we brought back from Ohio when we were there last year. My favorite bite is the blackened very tip of the wing tip, the part that is nothing but the essence of chicken flavor.

137"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It surely does tire me out, just Listening to all that shopping / prepping / portioning you've done.
People ( men; most men ) don't realize the work involved organizing meals and cooking.

Wings look so nice and crispy; along with the rest of the meal.

138"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:02 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I wish wings weren't so expensive. I think when I was a child you couldn't give them away.

My friend was raving about some M&M candy corn flavored candy so naturally I had to buy some. I think they taste like $hit. hope Joe and Katie will eat them.

No dinner tonight. Joe and Katie are at the beach. Tomorrow I am going to test drive my new roaster oven with a chicken. Stove Top stuffing and potatoes and gravy.

139"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:49 pm

Niagara Visitor

I have said many times that my mother was making chicken wings before Buffalo knew that chickens had wings. She made them because in the 50's when we came from Germany they were considered the garbage part of a chicken. I still make them the way that she always did them Dredge in flour with salt, pepper, garlic and cayenne and then bake in the oven.. Friday night dinner when my children went to Oma and Opa's for an overnight was wings and rice! Wings were done on a cookie sheet, rice, once cooked was put on the sheet after the wings were off, so that the rice sopped up all the crispins from the wings.

I don't know just when did the people in the Anchor bar in Buffalo first copy my mother's idea????

140"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:02 pm

NormM

NormM

I tried some golden beets and a copy cat recipe for P.F. Chang for Mongolian Beef.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 DSCN3786_zpskaplpbyz

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

141"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:00 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I tried some golden beets and a copy cat recipe for P.F. Chang for Mongolian Beef.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 DSCN3786_zpskaplpbyz

Wow.... makes me think of Parking my horse, and eating that beef with my sword whilst having my plate of armor polished.

142"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:27 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Wings were always on sale for $.89/lb when my girls were young....and they loved eating them! It kills me to pay so much for 'bones' but when I catch them on sale, even still overpriced by MY standards, I'll pay the price. As long as my protein isn't much past the $5/meal I'm pretty OK with it.

Norm, golden beets are one of my favorites....well, ANY beet is my favorite! I like that the goldens don't turn my hands a 'bloody' mess, although I'll usually wear gloves when prepping them. I love playing around with 'copycat' recipes, trying to see how close I can get to the original (supposing I've had it before.....). How did it go with your PFC Mongolian Beef?

143"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:05 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was chicken soup with little meatballs in it..

It cooked all night and all day in the slow cooker pot.

We got back from the eye surgeons around 12 noon, and the house smelled delicious.
I rested in the recliner, and took a nap, and then had the soup for supper.

144"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:59 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Glad your surgery went well, Jimmy. Now you're back to your old 'Eagle Eye'd' self!

145"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:37 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Glad your surgery went well, Jimmy.  Now you're back to your old 'Eagle Eye'd' self!

Thanks Beth.... yes, all went ok so far. Just got back from the day after surgery post op follow up. Dr. said it looks good.

Believe it or not, my mom always called me Eagle Eye's Jimmy.
I really never had good vision, but when it came to looking for something, I could find it! Shocked

146"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:31 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Jimmy, glad the surgery went well....((hugs))

147"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight. We got a call this afternoon asking if we wanted to go out for supper. Sounded like a better idea than the leftover jambalaya.

148"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:59 pm

NormM

NormM

Tried a copycat recipe for Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 DSCN3787_zpspbupg52x

149"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:13 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

How did it taste? The copycat recipe for OG's minestrone is good.

150"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:38 pm

NormM

NormM

It was spicy because it called for hot Italian sausage, so if you don't like spicy, you should use another kind of sausage.  I have not had that soup at OG so I don't know how it compares. Also the recipe called for kale and I didn't want to get some so I used a leaf lettuce. I think it was bibb or butter lettuce.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum