Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Meat Marinade/Rub of sorts

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Meat Marinade/Rub of sorts Empty Meat Marinade/Rub of sorts Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:38 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Recently our instant meat thermometer bit the dust so I bought Brian a Thermapen -- he deserves it, as he grills and smokes stuff all the time. By the way, he loves it! I bought a bright green one so we can see it easily in the kitchen drawer, which is always a mess of stuff!

Anyway, a card advertising a cookbook named "The Great Meat Cookbook" came with the Thermapen. I didn't get it but it had this recipe for a type of rub to put on a steak and it sounds great. We always have a couple of small jars of bacon grease in the fridge so that's no problem. See what you think:

Smokey Bacon Spice Paste
Recipe from The Great Meat Cookbook sold on Thermapen website

3 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon finely chopped chipotle chile in adobo
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons melted bacon fat

Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well. Smear over 2 large steaks or 4 smaller steaks. Place in a nonreactive dish, cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 2 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.

P.S. I just read reviews of this book on Amazon and they were all great. Bought it and will post more when it arrives.

2Meat Marinade/Rub of sorts Empty Re: Meat Marinade/Rub of sorts Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

How good is stuff with bacon and/or fat? Sounds like a winner

I love my therm aspen, too. After a couple years I now wonder how I grilled without it all those years!

Whoops...suppose to read "thermapen" but this Ipad changed my spelling. Amazing the thing thinks it's smarter than I am....

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum