Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Now They say "Grilled meat Is Dangerous" What A Laugh!

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

UNCLE JIMMY

I was just reading the health section on the internet, and there are studies and reports that Grilling Meats (Not Veggies ) Just meats, are a something like 47% increase in Breast cancers for women that ate a lot of grilled meat.

I don't know how that is true, but I guess anything that will cause a controversy, they will stick it out there!

I did have a friend that had a throat cancer, and he was operated on the throat, and they had to construct a hole in his throat so he could breath and so he could talk. Gutteral Voice using the tracheal muscles.
He told me the Dr's told him to stay away from charred grilled anything!
That was like 14 years ago at a company picnic BBQ.

It was funny (about the article at this time) because tonight I grilled the girls hot dogs nice and well cooked with no MAJOR grill marks. I came in and said, "Mine Are still charcoaling (? a word?) out there. I love the hot dogs Burned black so that the outer skin bubbles away from the inner meat, and it's nice and crunchy when I bite in. Haa Haaaa...Black mouth and teeth from the charcoal too! LOL

They did say, that cooking meats first in the microwave, is better because then the outside of the meat will be quicker to grill??? I don't think I would like that.

Let me see if there is a copy paste and I will put the article to direct to the site.--->>>>>>

http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/lifestyle/2013/05/30/is-grilling-bad-for-your-health/

bethk

Admin
yeah, grilling is bad for you.

Let's see....

Eggs were bad for you ~ then they were OK, IF you only ate the whites ~ then, well, you'll be OK if you only eat one or 7 each week....

Butter was bad for you - eat margarine instead....oh, no, wait ~ they changed their minds - butter is good for you, so is olive oil. Margarine is the devil's grease!

Salt is necessary because they add iodine to it and that's needed by the body....but, wait a minute! Salt is BAD for you...causes high blood pressure, soon you'll need to let the leaches suck on your finger if you put salt on your food.

Remember when they stopped making red M&M candies because of red dye #9 (or #44, or #81...whatever)? Well, I ate all the red M&M candies I could find and I'm still around and have no ill effects (so far....).

Let's face it - moderation is the only reasonable way to look at these reports. Grilling is bad. Frying is bad. Raw is like a suicide mission with all the things you "could" contract from the raw tissue. But I'm still going to eat fried food, grilled food, broiled food...but I will abstain from raw meats and seafood.....just because I don't like it! Hahhahahaa

UNCLE JIMMY

Hip Hip.... Hooray! Here Too!

Bacon was bad too, and I could remember Tina buying that fake bacon bits in a jar to add to certain foods. Gosh, I hated that stuff.

My Gram and Tinas Grandmom ate an Egg Every Single day for years.
Both lived into the 90's and with no heart or blood pressure problems.

I say (Dr. Jimmy that is) that your body need some cholesterol or it will go into third gear, and make it itself. And More than needed! LOL

Imelda HL

I agree with Beth.. moderation is the key for healthy eating... but sometime I have to restraint myself from eating too much delicious foods.. like today, I know egg rolls are so greasy but I ate 4 rolls anyway.. they were good and crunchy..

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:I agree with Beth.. moderation is the key for healthy eating... but sometime I have to restraint myself from eating too much delicious foods.. like today, I know egg rolls are so greasy but I ate 4 rolls anyway.. they were good and crunchy..

UMmmmmmm!!! Crunchy Makes My Tongue Happy!

NormM

I read the saliva can cause cancer but only if swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I read the saliva can cause cancer but only if swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

I will tell that to Tina.
I confess, I have a bad habit when outside I have to spit. I don't know what it is, but I get a funny taste in my mouth that only spitting will counteract it.

Maybe I have too much saliva? Question

It's funny because Tina hates that, and I try so hard to control myself.
I have to wait till she is distracted, and then I spat.
I don't know what it is. I guess it's a Man Thing? ... and I D C

UNCLE JIMMY

Now on the TV....I just saw where they say Caffein and coffee drinking causes mental problems. Duuuuuhhhhhhhhhh!!
Maybe that's why I spit?

cookingirl

one week it was:
"Too much sleep is being/lazy, cannot burn calories while sleeping"

Now it is:
"You need your sleep to lose weight"

My theory is:
Everything has been researched to death. Med Schools, teaching hospital are the cause of all this research.
At their graduation, residents must present a research topic. All of the medical seminars are research based. They all are trying to get grant money to find something obscure to prove! And to get a 'name for themselves--self promoting...
nonsense! They should research common sense when reading these 'research' papers! and save all the grant money to 'fix the system"..
OK, I will get off my soapbox

Ceee

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Now on the TV....I just saw where they say Caffein and coffee drinking causes mental problems. Duuuuuhhhhhhhhhh!!

So that's what's wrong with me

Wonder what they'll come up with next.

NormM

I think a big problem is the reporters not understanding what the research is really about so they pick out one thing and report on it even if it's terribly misleading to pick it out of the body of the entire paper. Then others who know absolutely nothing about the original, repeat the distortions as if they are gospel.

Niagara Visitor

I very rarely purchase salad dressings. Oil, vinegar/lemon juice, a few spices or occasionally home made ranch is all I use. Friends and guests have often complimented me on my dressings. I have a friend living with me for a while. I think she has 15 different salad dressings in the 2 large refrigerators that we share. Yesterday I was too lazy to make a dressing for the salad. Picked her "Low fat ranch" dressing. I think it has 20 items in there that I can't pronounce! Yuck!

It tasted O.K. but mine is definitely better.

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I very rarely purchase salad dressings.  Oil, vinegar/lemon juice, a few spices or occasionally home made ranch is all I use.  Friends and guests have often complimented me on my dressings.  I have a friend living with me for a while.  I think she has 15 different salad dressings in the 2 large refrigerators that we share.  Yesterday I was too lazy to make a dressing for the salad.  Picked her "Low fat ranch" dressing. I think it has 20 items in there that I can't pronounce! Yuck!

It tasted O.K. but mine is definitely better.

We're the same way, NV, and make our own, usually vinegar based. We have a bunch of different vinegars so you can always vary the taste, especially with Creole mustard and other good mustards. I don't even have a taste for any of the bottled stuff anymore.

jetfan27

I remember when I was a kid, there was something about grilled meat is a carcinogen. And I haven't subscribed to the myth that dairy products contribute to increasing your cholesterol. Maybe because I majored in dairy science in college, that I am a little prejudiced, so I will take the same path as most doctors. They say the good outweighs the bad, like all those prescription drugs that cause cancer, heart failure, liver and kidney shutdown, etc.

bethk

Admin
Well, just as the "don't eat butter ~ don't eat eggs ~ don't eat red meat ~ don't drink wine ~ don't this and don't that…..

P * T * U * E * Y !!!!

all in moderation and I'll die happy at least.

NormM

I think it was Julia Child who said "everything in moderation including moderation."

UNCLE JIMMY

Years ago at a company picnic / outing...
they were grilling the hot dogs, and I told the guy,"Throw two of those baby's right on top of the charcoal, and burn them for me!" ..... One guy (retired Tin Knocker) had his voice box removed because of cancer, and he said,"I was told not to eat charred anything; because it will create more cancer!"
He said,"I eat it cause I love it!"

That was in 1993...and today, he is still living.

NormM

Someday we will probably hear someone say that saliva causes cancer but only if swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Someday we will probably hear someone say that saliva causes cancer but only if swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

They just had a commercial on tv that said not enough saliva will promote cavity's and tooth decay!

It reminds me as kids, we would be in the back seat of the car, and I would say,"Ma I'm hungry!" ... she would say,"Chew Your Tongue!"
Then brother would say,"We're Thirsty too!" ....and again she said,"Swallow Your Spit!"

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum