Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anyone miss me?

+5
Barbara101
bethk
JanaAZ
NormM
Crybaby
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Anyone miss me? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone miss me? Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:52 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I can not do the honey sugar thing.My Blood Glucose would do me in..

27Anyone miss me? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone miss me? Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:They also suggest Coke syrup and an over the counter product called Emetrol. Even a little bit of coca-cola helps. They all have high concentrations of sugar which in some cases can calm nausea. What is really strange is that there are different kinds of nausea but they all make you feel awful.

Yep, mom always got a bottle of coke syrup from the druggist.
We had that, and a bottle of paregoric ( Anhydrous Morphine).

Iodine.....and mercurchrome sp. and the cloth stringy band-aids. , They didn't have plastic ones back then. And the pills, were in little boxes with cotton on the bottom. Mom would always use Oil of Ipecac when she needed to heave.

And Mom thought that a cure for everything, was an enema.
Brother and I dreaded that. The old rubber enema bag hung on the bathroom door, and when mom would get us laying on the table covered with towels, there would be a lot of crying and tears. She was a believer in soap enema's too!

hahahahahahaha..... Oh ... and tea enema's to reduce fevers. Hated That! Mad 

28Anyone miss me? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone miss me? Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:01 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Enemas can ease a lot of ailments. My father had an issue with his bowels when he was a little boy. He wouldn't go for several weeks. He would ask for an enema to get relief.

29Anyone miss me? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone miss me? Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:39 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

eeeeeyuk!

May I say: Too much information!!!!!!!!!!  Anyone miss me? - Page 2 652761166 

30Anyone miss me? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone miss me? Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:25 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

OOP's! Sorry. I wasn't thinking.

31Anyone miss me? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone miss me? Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

OOops! Mee Tooo!
I started it; I got side tracked and turned it in to a "Constipation Clinic!" LOL LOL

flower  Anyone miss me? - Page 2 2876911673 

32Anyone miss me? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone miss me? Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:43 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:What meds are you using for the nausea? I have a hard time taking pills and when I am sick the last thing I want to do is to try and swallow something.

Zofran 4mg. A trick a doctor taught me about swallowing pills is to notice which part of your tongue does not touch the roof of your mouth when you swallow. Go ahead -- swallow and see where that place is on your tongue. Then place the pill right there. You must, however, swallow immediately once you drink something, without, of course, throwing your head back or anything else we sometimes do. Works for me.

BTW, once I get a headache, I take the nausea pill, as I know it's coming.

33Anyone miss me? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone miss me? Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:56 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:What I don't understand, is why they refuse to give you meds for the headaches???

I said the same thiing, Jimmy, to the RN who I'm dealing with. They cut the increase of the medicine until 9/9 when my appointment is, but then, of course, the meds will have to start increasing again. These aren't normal headaches either -- they zoom in and are killer painful, without a hint of what's coming.

I don't think the headaches go away once you get used to the meds either. Woe is me. Will know more once I keep my appointment on 9/9. Have to get blood work done, walk for six minutes and then get to see the doctor (and boy, I'm ready with a list of questions and complaints). This hospital is not my favorite and normally, I wouldn't even go back but it seems as if there are only a couple of Pulmonary Function Clinics in the state and Ochsner is one of them. The nurse politely told me this when I told her I was reconsidering care there after they would take three or four days to return my calls when I first got out of the hospital. And the most shocking thing was that I got no discharge instructions -- none! And that's after nearly three weeks in the hospital. Think about it -- you even get discharge instructions after you have a tooth pulled or worked on!!!

So I'm stuck there but I'm a squeaky wheel and will continue to be one. I make it pretty difficult to ignore me. Laughing

34Anyone miss me? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone miss me? Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:59 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

You are the most important person responsible for your safety and health care. Proactive. I can't tell you how many people I have seen die because of bad health care. My own sister almost died when she had had her twins.
My sister is married to an OB-GYN with a PHD in endocrinology. His father is also an OB-GYN and so are 2 other brothers. They all practice together. My sister had her twins in an emergency C-section because she had pre-eclampsia. After she was taken back to her room she was supposed to have a magnesium drip into her muscle. The nurse put the line into her vein. My sister woke up to her body on fire and was able to press the call button. Once the error was discovered they rushed her back down to the ER and after treatment there into the ICU. Did the chit hit the fan? Like you wouldn't believe. The nurse was fired too.
When my other sister had her cancer surgeries, her DH (who is also an MD) sat and slept in her room the entire time, making sure no one screwed up on anything.

35Anyone miss me? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone miss me? Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:30 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

It seems now when anyone is in the hospital, they need a person to be there with them to act as an advocate!
It is really a shame that is where healthcare is currently.
Each time my dad was hospitalized, I was there as much as I could. I questioned everything they did to him. I was also there and, I swear, the nursing department relaxed a lot because they knew I was helping him.
It took forever for him to get some help. Oh, when he was very sick, they did check on him a lot more, but the second he started improving, it seemed they dropped him like a hot potato!
I cannot tell you how many nurses, residents and doctors commented on me for being there and advocating for him.
I did work in the medical field my entire life. All the people I know from work, who had a close relative in the hospital, made sure there was someone with them to check on them. This was because they knew how understaffed and overworked the nurses, and aides are.
The aides, and student nurses are taking over most of the duties of the regular nurse.
When there is a change of shift and they are all on report..Forget it!!!!
That goes between 30-60 minutes!! No one gets any care! or very little. Most patients have to wait until their meeting is over!
It is really unbelievable what happens...
And discharge!! really!!!
You have to be in the hospital for 3 days in order for insurance to pay for a rehab! When discharged, it does not stop. They tell the patient they are going to get home care. Well, it does not start that day, nor the next. You are lucky if on the 3rd day at home it will begin; But only to see and 'intake' nurse!! They have to see what you need! Then they have to schedule someone to come out!!
A newly discharged patient can wait 3-4 days before seeing someone, especially if they are not on their 'case' about it.....
ok---
off my soapbox!!!!
sorry--one of my pet peeves....... affraid

36Anyone miss me? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone miss me? Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:53 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Do you remember reading about patient dumping? There was this horrible picture in the paper showing a frail, sick man, still in his hospital gown being pulled out of the back of a van and then left on the sidewalk. Seems the man was homeless, sick with no place to go and the hospital didn't want to care for him, so they just dumped him. Horrible! There is no excuse.

37Anyone miss me? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone miss me? Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Do you remember reading about patient dumping? There was this horrible picture in the paper showing a frail, sick man, still in his hospital gown being pulled out of the back of a van and then left on the sidewalk. Seems the man was homeless, sick with no place to go and the hospital didn't want to care for him, so they just dumped him. Horrible! There is no excuse.

That was stupid....because in a few hours or so, someone will call 911, and he will be right back in the hospital again.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2