Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Most counterfeited foods

+2
jetfan27
Bugster2
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Most counterfeited foods Empty Most counterfeited foods Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:24 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

1. olive oil - 69% is oil that has been brought into Italy and then exported

2. honey - avoid any honey that has added sucrose or high fructose corn syrup. A counterfeit ring in China was exporting honey that was labeled White Korean Honey which, in fact, was anything but honey.

3. fish - The main form of seafood fraud is mislabeling: a cheaper fish passed off as a more expensive one. The major offenders involve fish with ugly names masquerading as their prettier-sounding, pricier counterparts (toothfish for Chilean sea bass; escolar as white tuna; threadfin slickhead as Alaskan cod), and in a study conducted between 2010 and 2012, ocean conservation organization Oceana found that every single sushi restaurant tested in New York carried mislabeled fish. Not only does this mean the customer overpays, but the fish that end up on the plate are often ones you wouldn't want to eat in the first place. Escolar, which often shows up instead of tuna, contains histamines that can cause very disturbing side effects—think diarrhea, but oilier. The FDA currentlyadvises against "importation and interstate marketing" of escolar, and the fish is flat-out banned in Japan and Italy. To guard against seafood fraud, watch out for snapper and tuna, the most defrauded varieties.

4. scallops - Seafood fraud is rampant, as we've seen, but a special case exists for so-called scallops that might actually be rays, skate, or shark that have been sectioned up by a cookie cutter. Instances of scallop fraud have largely been relegated to the dark realm of Internet message boards, so it's unclear how often this substitution takes place, if at all. While it is decidedly less gross than the dreaded pork-bung calamari, the prospect of cookie-cuttered scallops is still capable of inducing major cringes.

5. balsamic vinegar - Traditional balsamic vinegar is aged in oak casks for years and, like wine, must adhere to strict codes. But after drizzles of balsamic vinegar reduction found their way to every restaurant table, the market became, very literally, diluted. Don't be fooled if the bottle says "Modena" (as in, the Italian city known for balsamic). For the real high-end stuff, look for "grape must" in the ingredient list or the designation Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale, which will guarantee the vinegar has been aged at least 12 years.

6. saffron - Real saffron is made from the stigma of the saffron crocus and costs upwards of $2,000 a pound. Reports have found all sorts of dried flowers masquerading as the spice, even dyed onion. How to keep from getting conned? Buy saffron in whole threads, which are much more difficult to fake.

7. vanilla - Synthetic vanillin often sneaks into extracts claiming to be pure.

8. coffee - Ground coffee can easily be bolstered by anything powdered and brown, coffee husks if you're a lucky dupe, or even twigs, roasted corn, or ground-up toasted parchment paper. This is just one more reason to buy your coffee whole

9. cinnamon - Most of the cinnamon sold in the U.S. is cassia, not cinnamon. Cassia, grown mainly in Vietnam or China, is related to Ceylon, which is considered the "real" cinnamon. The cassia bark is hotter and more abrasive than the lighter, more aromatic Ceylon. The sticks are fairly easy to tell apart—Ceylon quills are composed of many paper-thin layers rolled up, while Cassia is a single sheet of bark—but once the "cinnamon" is ground, the anonymous brown dust might be neither Ceylon nor Cassia but something else entirely. Look for Ceylon cinnamon.

10. black pepper - Researchers have found papaya seeds, juniper berries, pepper stems, and chaff all lurking in what claims to be black pepper. As with coffee, it's always better to go whole.

11. caviar - The biggest caviar con artist spent 23 years running from authorities until he was busted a year ago for engineering a tax-evasion scheme that enabled him to pass off low-end caviar as the good stuff to high-paying customers on airlines and cruise ships. The judge declared it "a victimless crime," because no one got sick and the caviar was still pretty good, but like any rare, covetable food, caviar fraud is still rampant. Often it's the case that low-grade domestic caviars are sold as fancy imported varieties. In a lovely reversal of the ol' bait and switch, however, some of the best (and real) caviar is actually coming out of Kentucky.

12. milk - Since the Great Chinese Infant Formula Debacle of 2008, when 54,000 infants were sickened and six died from milk tainted with melamine, there have been even more reports of milk containing melamine or even detergent or hydrogen peroxide. To keep from stirring cleaning product in with your morning cereal, read the ingredients. Don't touch imported milk powder with a ten-foot pole, buy from a local farm if possible, or just make one of our nut milks and avoid the whole thing altogether.

13. juice - No sooner had pomegranate juice become the Next Big Superfood than someone figured out how to fake it. Areport released last year by the Food Fraud Database showed that many juices are bolstered with other juices, and some were found to contain no pomegranate juice at all.

14. mystery meat - The stuff of school cafeterias has caused many a nightmare, but in real life, mystery meat is way scarier than a lumpy stew. Meat fraud includes all sorts of industry sins: horse meat masquerading as ground beef; fox meat pretending to be donkey. Luckily, most cases have occurred outside the U.S., but even the threat of fox meat is enough to make you want to form a close relationship with your butcher.

15. wine - Another much-faked luxury good that has a hard time garnering sympathy, counterfeit wine has taken its place in the spotlight following last month's conviction of the most notorious counterfeiter, Rudy Kurniawan (or at least the biggest one who's been caught), with a "thriller" documentary on the way. Wine fraud most commonly involves bottling average wine under a prestigious label, or passing off a lesser vintage for one that is known to fetch high prices. Experts estimate that five percent of wines sold are fake, resulting in $250 million loss for U.S. businesses.

2 Most counterfeited foods Empty Re: Most counterfeited foods Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:34 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

Why the hell would ANYONE buy honey that had ANYTHING other than honey in it? Cinnamon oil, that you use in cannoli cream is made from cassia, also. It is very potent. I have noticed that whole black pepper corns in my pepper mill don't last very long. They used to be very hard little BB's. Now, they are softer.

3 Most counterfeited foods Empty Re: Most counterfeited foods Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:37 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I think that most people don't read labels and if they do, they have no idea what the ingredients are.

4 Most counterfeited foods Empty Re: Most counterfeited foods Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:47 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

You are right about that Bugster.

5 Most counterfeited foods Empty Re: Most counterfeited foods Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:05 pm

JanaAZ

Hey, Bugs, where did this information come from? I have heard about a lot of it, but not all of it. Was it in a magazine, newspaper, something else?

6 Most counterfeited foods Empty Re: Most counterfeited foods Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:24 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I have noticed that whole black pepper corns in my pepper mill ..

Just this morning I thought the same thing.I buy my whole black telliecherry peppercorn at Costco,Kirkland.They are great. Hard & last a really long time. Grind good too.So I ran out. Bought Mc Cormick. They have a funky taste.Half a small jar already gone.Not quality pepper.

7 Most counterfeited foods Empty Re: Most counterfeited foods Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

JanaAZ wrote:Hey, Bugs, where did this information come from?  I have heard about a lot of it, but not all of it.  Was it in a magazine, newspaper, something else?

It was from Bon Appetit magazine

8 Most counterfeited foods Empty Re: Most counterfeited foods Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Nothing worse than Fake Garlic paste / or diced in the jar, and they are claiming great garlic, but only other lesser quality garlic like elephant garlic, and infused with garlic (imitation) flavoring.
Tina buys the frozen garlic cubes. I hate that stuff, and never use it.
I use only small cloves of Fresh garlic.

9 Most counterfeited foods Empty Re: Most counterfeited foods Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:37 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I use minced garlic in a jar from Christopher Ranch in Gilroy, CA. That is the only way I know that my garlic didn't come from China. Gilroy is the garlic capital. You should drive through the town when the garlic is ripe. Peeuuw! What a stink! They also have a garlic festival every year which features garlic ice cream.

10 Most counterfeited foods Empty Re: Most counterfeited foods Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:09 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I use minced garlic in a jar from Christopher Ranch in Gilroy, CA. That is the only way I know that my garlic didn't come from China. Gilroy is the garlic capital. You should drive through the town when the garlic is ripe. Peeuuw! What a stink! They also have a garlic festival every year which features garlic ice cream.

Bugs.... DD bought liquid garlic once.
It was clear, and Tina used it in tomato sauce.
It was so strong and bitter tasting, it was like when the garlic burns and creates a rancid taste. I couldn't eat it; I couldn't stand to smell it, and I love garlic flavour; as long as it is done right to flavour foods.....

There is nothing worse tasting, than burnt garlic.

I remember as a kid (Growing up Italian; in an Italian Neighbourhood ) , and going to a Italian Church.
There they were....the Old Italian Ladies, in church with their black mothball and garlic stinky coats, and their hairy chins, and garlic breath, and with the stinky nylon black stockings rolled down to just below the knees. Ahhhh.yuuck....What a stink!
I would have to dunk my nose under my tee shirt to smell my Avon Splash on Mens deodorant to avoid gagging from the stench.

11 Most counterfeited foods Empty Re: Most counterfeited foods Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:14 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Unfortunately, the Asians out here stink of garlic. They also have no sense of a person's personal space, so when you back away from them because you don't want to start gagging, they move with you. I remember walking into an Asian-run real estate office that was so potent I started gagging and had to run out. It is worse when you are in a line somewhere and have no place to go.

12 Most counterfeited foods Empty Re: Most counterfeited foods Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:24 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Unfortunately, the Asians out here stink of garlic. They also have no sense of a person's personal space, so when you back away from them because you don't want to start gagging, they move with you. I remember walking into an Asian-run real estate office that was so potent I started gagging and had to run out. It is worse when you are in a line somewhere and have no place to go.

hahahahaha,,,, so funny!

We have a neighbor gent that when he talks to anyone, he keeps so face close, you could smell his breath (like a monkey breath) and I start at the end of the driveway, and backing up I wind up 20 feet back, and there he is right in my face. Like ""674$&^$#% Get the HONK out of my face, And Oh! He has lip spit as he talks.
I run in the house, and grab one of those clorox wipes on the counter by the sink, and wipe out my nose, and mouth and face with it.
Germy ____stard!! I hate that.

13 Most counterfeited foods Empty Re: Most counterfeited foods Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:00 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:We have a neighbor gent that when he talks to anyone, he keeps so face close, you could smell his breath (like a monkey breath) and I start at the end of the driveway, and backing up I wind up 20 feet back, and there he is right in my face. Like ""674$&^$#% Get the HONK out of my face, And Oh! He has lip spit as he talks.
I run in the house, and grab one of those clorox wipes on the counter by the sink, and wipe out my nose, and mouth and face with it.

And you talk about ME being expressive when telling a story! I literally laughed out loud when I read the above, Jimmy -- and it only got worse when I hit the part about running in the house and grabbing a disinfectant wipe!

Most counterfeited foods 2876911673 

14 Most counterfeited foods Empty Re: Most counterfeited foods Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:42 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:We have a neighbor gent that when he talks to anyone, he keeps so face close, you could smell his breath (like a monkey breath) and I start at the end of the driveway, and backing up I wind up 20 feet back, and there he is right in my face. Like ""674$&^$#% Get the HONK out of my face, And Oh! He has lip spit as he talks.

And you talk about ME being expressive when telling a story!  I literally laughed out loud when I read the above, Jimmy -- and it only got worse when I hit the part about running in the house and grabbing a disinfectant wipe!  

Most counterfeited foods 2876911673 

Most counterfeited foods 2876911673 It is one of those things that Tina helps me out, but too many times will let the guy catch on.
She would see me backing up trying to get out of face, and then she would holer,"Hey Hon!" "It's your Brother on the phone!" Huh! That worked, and we ran out of brothers mothers and relatives, and it became so obvious she was pulling me from the conversation with the guy!

The other day, I was working on the next door neighbours car, and Out of the blue, there he was...yapping and talking about what was on his mind at the time. I was in no mood to talk about silly xxit like last years taxes, and like how long the light at 5 corners hold cars on mountain ave. Silly xxit!

So I prtended that Tina said something out the window, and I said,"OK Hon, I told her I would call her, but stay on the line so I could give her directions!" and With That... I said,"Excuse me "R" ...I have to talk to my daughter about her dryer.!" ...and with that while walking away....I started screaming...I'll be right there hon, Take it Easy...will ya! ( All that made up into a escape scenario just to get the heck away from the bull xxit conversation.

I felt bad after doing that, but even his wife says,"He's a Pain in my @$$!"

Sometimes, he will call on the phone, and Tina and I have the caller ID...hahaha we are silly slapping each other as to WHO will pick up the phone.
I sig him on Tina if I can, but mostly he calls looking for me!....

I don't mind conversation, but come on, talk about cars, grass, dogs, cooking etc.
Not Taxes and 2% off on the electric bill for signing up with a different provider. I don't want to hear how you went to the olive garden to eat, and about your scoop of potatoes was smaller than your 8 year old granddaughters.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum