Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why didn't I think of that BEFORE????

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Why didn't I think of that BEFORE???? Empty Why didn't I think of that BEFORE???? Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I was young (and I'm talking too young to wield a sharp knife....) it was my job to 'snip' the beans. Mom would give me the wooden pig shaped cutting board, a table knife (safety first!) and a whole mess of fresh picked green beans from the garden. It was my job to snip off the ends with my knife. Phew! that was a LOT of beans!!

Much later in my life, probably after I was married (although we all know I married when I was twelve....) my neighbor showed me how her family snipped beans ~ just the stem end. No need to snip off the little blossom end of a tiny tail. Geesh ~ how come we never thought of that before???

Well, now, here I am in my mid-60's. And I've got to snip the stems off the beans. Laying on the countertop is a pair of kitchen shears. I pick up a handful of beans, stem ends all in the same direction, and I start to snip off the stems. Easy. Quick.

How come I never thought of that before????

2Why didn't I think of that BEFORE???? Empty Re: Why didn't I think of that BEFORE???? Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:26 pm

NormM

NormM

I learned from my mom to just break off the ends with my hands. That was if there is a string, it comes out too.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3Why didn't I think of that BEFORE???? Empty Re: Why didn't I think of that BEFORE???? Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:00 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

i had some of those French cut beans. I call them Hidden stem beans. I don't know what it is with those darn beans, but it seams the canning company sneaks stems in with those style beans.
I prefer the beans cut on a bias.

The Italian green beans are my favorite.

4Why didn't I think of that BEFORE???? Empty Re: Why didn't I think of that BEFORE???? Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:41 am

NormM

NormM

5Why didn't I think of that BEFORE???? Empty Re: Why didn't I think of that BEFORE???? Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:55 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:This might work for the ends of green beans.

http://www.designtoscano.com/product/code/SP0427.do?code=PDINCLUDE&code=DTPLAS12

Oh!.... That's funny Norm.
Wouldn't want to put my finger in that hole. Whack!

bethk

bethk
Admin

too funny....

Crybaby

Crybaby

Well, it has indeed gotten easier over the years as the strings were pretty much bred out of most varieties of beans.  

A couple years ago I saw a tip in a magazine to just line up the stem ends and cut them off with a sharp knife.  Brian is the "bean boy" in this house and always volunteers to "snap" the beans for me.  When I told him about lining them up and cutting them, he liked that idea.

We still buy "regular" green beans but I love the bags of haricots vert that the stores sell now -- no waste, no "snapping" or cutting and they last longer than the regular beans do.  Plus they cook quickly and look so pretty on the plate, especially a bunch wrapped with a piece of bacon.

Last edited by Crybaby on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A very interesting thing to research on line... (Bean Processing etc. ) so I did look at some Youtube video's....

There is a machine that sorts, and lines up the beans for trimming the ends. By the thousands per minute...

I also enjoyed ( a very long video, that's why I didn't paste it ) the 1956 film documentary of the evolution of the tin can (s)....

I have two cans...One pea and one bean...from the early 1900's that were opened, and with a knife rocker openener, with the labels in tack a and all.

I wrapped them in saran wrap to preserve them. What amazes me, is the amount of Lead solder used to seal the cans.

Anybody notice how soon, we will no longer need a can opener?? ..... The cans all have pop and peel open tops. 80% of them anyway..

NormM

NormM

FYI The can opener wasn't invented until 48 years after the invention of the can.

10Why didn't I think of that BEFORE???? Empty Re: Why didn't I think of that BEFORE???? Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:FYI The can opener wasn't invented until 48 years after the invention of the can.

I don't know if the opener was invented when these cans were opened, but they look like they opened them with a hatchet....

I don't know what Tina did with them, and they were in my hand 10 day's ago, but I don't even want to ask now. She is in a hissy mood... Why didn't I think of that BEFORE???? 3447731902 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum