Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Asparagus Soup

+3
bethk
NormM
JanaAZ
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Asparagus Soup Empty Asparagus Soup Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:51 pm

JanaAZ

I love asparagus and when they're in season, we buy them a lot. After trimming, we throw out about 1/2 of the stalks. I decided to make some asparagus soup with the ones I trimmed today. Yum. It came out really good and basically was made with stuff I would throw out.

I didn't write up a recipe, but basically I trimmed the stems, cooked them in chicken broth for about 20 minutes. Ground them down in the Vitamix and placed them back in the pan with the remaining broth. I sweated some onions, then made a roux in the same pan. Back in the Vitamix, then into the soup. A little salt, pepper and lemon juice. Yum!!!

I'll take a photo and post later.

2Asparagus Soup Empty Re: Asparagus Soup Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:11 pm

NormM

NormM

Sounds delicious.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3Asparagus Soup Empty Re: Asparagus Soup Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jana, sometimes you can toss in some spinach to help "green" it up - I like to add a spoon of sour cream at the end, in my bowl.

4Asparagus Soup Empty Re: Asparagus Soup Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:12 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

It really does sound delicious, Jana. I love asparagus -- I don't think I trim them as much as others do, though. The ones in the store just don't seem to require the peeling that most people do or that I read about in recipes. And they come out tender for me, too.

I love the idea of the soup, though. Am anxious to try it AND see your photo.

5Asparagus Soup Empty Re: Asparagus Soup Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:17 pm

JanaAZ

Ok, I tried to post it but I can't post photos from my desktop or phone. Is there some way to do it? I don't want to host it on the internet.

6Asparagus Soup Empty Re: Asparagus Soup Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I do not believe you can post from your personal computer. I've only been able to post what's in my photobucket account.

Anyone else know how it can be done?

7Asparagus Soup Empty Re: Asparagus Soup Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:03 pm

JanaAZ

I posted from my facebook account one time, but you guys couldn't see it.

Well this sucks since I don't use photo sharing accounts.

8Asparagus Soup Empty Re: Asparagus Soup Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:00 pm

JanaAZ

Hmmmm, since I've figured out how to get my photos to show, here's a photo of the soup:

Asparagus Soup Downlo15

Here's the recipe if you want it:

http://www.examiner.com/article/use-stalks-to-make-the-best-asparagus-soup-ever

9Asparagus Soup Empty Re: Asparagus Soup Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

There are so many good things to make soup from, parts of vegetables we often toss. This soup is a wonderful example of all the flavor that comes "for free" !

Looks great, Jana!

10Asparagus Soup Empty Re: Asparagus Soup Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:29 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

sounds so good Jana.. I think I'm going to make it for my meatless friday tomorrow, I still have 1 lbs of asparagus I bought last week, gotta cook them soon.. just one question, what you eat it with?

11Asparagus Soup Empty Re: Asparagus Soup Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:sounds so good Jana.. I think I'm going to make it for my meatless friday tomorrow, I still have 1 lbs of asparagus I bought last week, gotta cook them soon.. just one question, what you eat it with?

You Eat it With Asparagus You Silly Goose! ... LOL

I would eat it with a loaf of bread and butter.......  Asparagus Soup 3267860543 

12Asparagus Soup Empty Re: Asparagus Soup Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:32 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:sounds so good Jana.. I think I'm going to make it for my meatless friday tomorrow, I still have 1 lbs of asparagus I bought last week, gotta cook them soon.. just one question, what you eat it with?

I would eat it with a loaf of bread and butter.......  Asparagus Soup 3267860543 

I made some today and grilled cheese sandwich for my DH today.. he loves it.. a good meal for meatless Friday

13Asparagus Soup Empty Re: Asparagus Soup Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:48 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

confused 
Imelda HL wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

I made some today and grilled cheese sandwich for my DH today.. he loves it.. a good meal for meatless Friday

We were almost gonna have griddled cheese and tomato sandwiches, but I opened my big mouth, and mentioned pizza! Then Tina said..."No Not Pizza take out, YOUR Pizza! Please, Please make pizza!

I made pizza!

Just a few minutes ago.... I had some meatballs and melted provolone cheese sandwich I made for Tina, and we watched the clock,,,click click 12:00 Midnight, and she bit the sandwich...Ummmmm she said, so good!

I fried Bacon for tomorrow's breakfast, and I was eating the fat on the bacon.
Oh So Good. Tina said," You Better have no sins, or God will turn you into a pig!" .... LOL... I said,"That's OK; because then I could eat a lot!"

14Asparagus Soup Empty Re: Asparagus Soup Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:11 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I would bet a nice potato and asparagus soup would be good!...
I better go to sleep or I will get hungry and start cooking something!

15Asparagus Soup Empty Re: Asparagus Soup Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:45 pm

JanaAZ

We ate it alone, but I'd love it with grilled cheese or a salad.

I'm thinking of playing with some that's in the freezer and making a pasta sauce with some grilled veggies in it. I love this stuff just as it is, though.

16Asparagus Soup Empty Re: Asparagus Soup Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was just scrolling through foodgawker.com and saw a post showing white asparagus soup with clams....that sounds just luscious to me, and a way to stretch pricey items into a 'not-so-pricey' meal. Clams are one of those things I'd love to have more often but they are too pricey to make a meal of them alone (we could probably eat dozens between the 2 of us) because there is such a small amount of clam in the shell when they get steamed.

But as an addition to a creamy asparagus soup....what could be easier and a tasty way to stretch my food dollar?

17Asparagus Soup Empty Re: Asparagus Soup Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:14 pm

Niagara Visitor

Local grocery store had asparagus from Mexico on at 99 cents/pound a couple of weeks ago. I made a big batch of cream of asparagus soup. Hubby has never been fond of soups, except Lipton's Chicken noodle out of a box with a couple of cut up wieners in it!

Now that he's in a nursing home, they have taught him to eat soup, for they get some pretty well every day for supper. One night when I was there it was asparagus soup. I asked him how it was, and he said "Better than nothing" and he laughed.

I love soups, could eat one every day!

18Asparagus Soup Empty Re: Asparagus Soup Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:30 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Now that he's in a nursing home, they have taught him to eat soup, for they get some pretty well every day for supper.  One night when I was there it was asparagus soup.  I asked him how it was, and he said "Better than nothing" and he laughed.!

A sense of humor helps anything go down...

Niagara Visitor wrote:I love soups, could eat one every day!

Me, too, Niagara!  We rented a staffed villa in Montego Bay a couple of times and the cook made homemade soup every day for lunch, along with a salad or sandwich.  It was the highlight of my day -- that along with ordering anything for breakfast (after the normal platter of beautiful ripe fruit and coffee), and cocktails and hors d'oeuvre at sunset.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum