Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I would love a T & T recipe for: ....

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Empty I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

>>Coleslaw <<

Tina bought cabbage shredded in the bag with the carrot shredded also.
The only thing is, it is just the cabbage.

Now, I see Beth and Barb make it a lot from the pics that were posted previously.

What I am looing for, is a coleslaw like KFC serves,
Not just mayonnaise...but with I think what appears to be vinegar but not bitter or vinegar pronounced. It has a sweet flavor to it.

The reason I am here and asking, is because to ask for a recipe for coleslaw, is like "Oh just throw in some salt and mayo. What's the big deal?
Well the big deal is I had never had coleslaw that I enjoyed as much as from KFC Chicken Places. Even my own mother made coleslaw, and it never really was that good. Too pasted and sticky with thick mayonnaise! Y U C K !
Oh! Don't get me wrong! I love mayo, but not thick on coleslaw.

I would appreciate some suggestions here!  Sad 

PS: Tina doesn't make it that great either, and she even says, "I think I will just get it at KFC because I just cannot make it where we like it!"

Barbara101

Barbara101

Copycat KFC Coleslaw Recipe adapted from: My Tasty Treasures 1 bag packaged Coleslaw Mix 2 TBSP finely minced onion 1/3 cup granulated sugar 1/2 tsp salt 1/8 tsp pepper 1/4 cup milk 1/2 cup mayonnaise 1/4 cup buttermilk 2 1/2 TBSP white vinegar 1 1/2 TBSP lemon juice

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk

bethk
Admin

I concur...the lemon juice is the key. Oh, and I grate my onion so it just kind of is there without anyone knowing...

Barbara101

Barbara101

I like this a lot. But my go to is blue cheese cole slaw. I would love a T & T recipe for: .... 2599281016 

bethk

bethk
Admin

yuck

I would love a T & T recipe for: .... 2876911673 

bethk

bethk
Admin

I always make my cole slaw dressing ahead of time to be sure the sugar is dissolved. If you like celery seed, it's good in there, although not like KFC. But sometimes I just like it added.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanks for all the responses.

Beth...I like celery seeds. I have it ground too, so it would be hidden from Tina....

Barbara... Thanks for the KFC recipe....I'm gonna give that a try...

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, that recipe really does taste like the KFC. It's thin so it doesn't really "coat" the cabbage & carrot, but more just flavors it.

Do NOT try to skip the buttermilk....it's not the same.

10I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Empty Re: I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:29 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, that recipe really does taste like the KFC.  It's thin so it doesn't really "coat" the cabbage & carrot, but more just flavors it.

Do NOT try to skip the buttermilk....it's not the same.  

I know! Tina JUST Gave me the rules.
If it Says Buttermilk...It's got to be "BUTTERMILK"

note!

We have the buttermilk powder, and adding water will turn it into buttermilk.
Tina uses it for baking!!
I guess that would be OK! Am I wrong??

11I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Empty Re: I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think that would work....but, OF COURSE, I always have real buttermilk in MY refrigerator.

Hahahahahaha.

Seriously, I think it would be just fine.

12I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Empty Re: I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:42 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I think that would work....but, OF COURSE, I always have real buttermilk in MY refrigerator.

Hahahahahaha.

Seriously, I think it would be just fine.

Thanks Beth!
We will give it a try! bounce 

13I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Empty Re: I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:47 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:We have the buttermilk powder, and adding water will turn it into buttermilk. Tina uses it for baking!!

I used to get that for baking but mine said not to try to "hydrate" it to use as a liquid, Jimmy.

14I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Empty Re: I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:53 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:We have the buttermilk powder, and adding water will turn it into buttermilk.  Tina uses it for baking!!

I used to get that for baking but mine said not to try to "hydrate" it to use as a liquid, Jimmy.

This is the one she uses. It is like powdered milk, and then add water to make buttermilk.

http://sacofoods.com/products/view/cultured-buttermilk.

15I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Empty Re: I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:09 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

The link will not open for me BUT I use dry powdered buttermilk for baking some things.
When I want to dip/soak chicken or other things I get the real stuff.I do use the real stuff for my Biscuits too.

16I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Empty Re: I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:01 pm

NormM

NormM

Last time I was at the store, I noticed they had buttermilk in 8 oz. cartons.. The same size they give milk to kids in the cafeteria.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

17I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Empty Re: I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:08 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

gosh wish mine did. If I don't use it before due date, I now put it the freezer.

18I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Empty Re: I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Last time I was at the store, I noticed they had buttermilk in 8 oz. cartons.. The same size they give milk to kids in the cafeteria.

My M I L Loved to drink buttermilk.

I remember when the milk in school came in them 8 oz. Glass bottles.
I go way back to the paper top with the wire twist band. The girls (one of them chosen by the teacher) would pass out the straws. The straws were not plastic. They came way later. The first straws were paper twisted ones. They were coated on the outside with wax. You drank fast because the straw would collapse after a while when the paper got wetted down. hahahahah

I would listen for the milkman to deliver the milk in the wire crates. That was happy time because it was time for snack in the AM around 10:00 oclock.

White milk was 17 cents for the week. Chocolate was 21 cents. Naturally it went up every year. The rich kids got the chocolate. Wow!! The milk program was state subsidized.

The straws were not individually wrapped either. They were Bulk in a big box that the teacher kept on a shelf in the closet.

Then was a big surprise. ..... The milk came in them wax coated paper cartons. Again, we were like a group of monkey's trying to figure out how to open the weird house shaped milk cartons. Later on, the art class saved all the cartons to use them for crafts and etc.

19I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Empty Re: I would love a T & T recipe for: .... Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:57 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Last time I was at the store, I noticed they had buttermilk in 8 oz. cartons.. The same size they give milk to kids in the cafeteria.

I always wondered why this size WASN't offered, as unless you're drinking it, most of us don't need a quart of the stuff.

Being such a small market, we're usually the last to get anything new. But I'm going to have Brian, my personal shopper  Very Happy , keep an eye out for it. I'll just have to stress over and over -- DO NOT BUY A QUART OF THIS STUFF!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum