Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Interesting observation....

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
NormM
bethk
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Interesting observation.... Empty Interesting observation.... Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

All but 2 pieces from two 9.5 oz. packages of Dove Chocolate Promises candies fit into a clean Miracle Whip quart bottle so you can store the candy in the pantry without it getting stale.

just thought you'd like to know

2Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:20 pm

NormM

NormM

Put some white paper in the jar first so people will think it's MW and not be tempted to swipe some.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Right now the only one I have to be worried about is ME!

lol

4Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

In work, they had a tool crib that held all the tools for construction. There were three Hilti Guns (Powder shot that shot studs or nails into concrete to mount objects and fasten them)
They were checked out, and fought after, and I don't know why the boss didn't just buy more?? But that's the way it was.

Everytime my crew needed one it seemed there was non available.
I got smart! I affixed a label on one set (fastener ) and it said,"Danger, Hilti works but shoots crooked, and backfires sometimes; so make sure you wear heavy gloves when operating, and use low power shots!" hahahahaha...There was nothing wrong with the Hilti Gun, and it was always available for me and the crew! ....
Nobody wanted to use it!!

5Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

and that's how the construction game is played....

I can remember working at the refinery and having security checking lunch boxes/bags, etc. as the crews were leaving. I cannot tell you how many grinders and tools were trying to be stolen.....as if men who earned $45/hour couldn't afford to buy their own....shameful.

6Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:14 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

That is why department stores make the employees carry clear plastic handbags. I think most thefts are done by employees. I never was a thief on purpose. I have come home with pens, items that weren't rung up on the register etc. It just isn't in me to steal. I can't tell you how many purses I have found left in shopping carts. I don't know if they ever got back to their owners but I have always turned them in. I can't believe how many people I know have stolen, even as adults. I have a friend who switches price tags. I am absolutely disgusted when I here about it. I don't say anything to them. I figure they will get caught eventually.

7Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I can never understand why people do that. The ones that can afford stuff do it the worst.

There was this lady that her hubs carried 4 grand in a roll with rubber bands, and bought car parts or radio stuff, and he was not wealthy but was paid very well for what he did. Painter on high bridges. made 1000.00 a day.

Anyway... his wife had a business, and made out good herself. Yet, she was one of those price tag switchers, and even would buy a dress; wear it, and bring it back.
She would pin the tags out of sight somehow.

I'm sure you can't change price tags with the bar codes today, but I had seen people in the stores, like the old scarce K-marts, and they would use a box from lets say a 29.00 lamp, and through a diversion with the kids and the places hidden from the camera's, they would drop a 300.00 radio or a vcr inside the lamp box, tape it back up, and push the cart around, and put the lamp back without the box where the particular lamp was in the lamp isle.
Then they would check out, and wind up paying 20.00 for the lamp, and all the while there was a more expensive item inside the box.

Then there are the ones who put on the new clothes in the dressing room under their old big baggy clothes.
Some stores have the detector transponder stapled on the more expensive clothing so as you leave the store, the alarm tweets unless the thing is removed with a special tool before you leave. LOL...

8Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:36 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh those WONDERFUL ink spewing clothes attachments to prevent theft.....

One time I went to Andrea's, a 4 hour drive from home, and bought a nice suit for work that I found on sale. When I got home I took off the plastic bag they hung it in and realized it had one of those plastic tag things on it. I had to wait 3 months until the next trip to return it to the store in Indy to take it back to so the tag could be removed. Of course, none of the stores in Toledo carried the same type of theft protection and had no way to remove the thing.

So, for 3 months, there in the closet hung my beautiful new suit....was out of season by the time I finally got to wear it.

9Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:54 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Next time call them and ship it back to the store so they can remove it. I had that happen once and that is what I did. It is cheaper than gasoline.

10Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:13 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I'm a big believer in karma, so I could never steal a thing. I never took pens or steno pads or anything from work either. At my last job, I started a "petty cash" box so I could just put the money for the steno pad I wanted in the petty cash box. Since I ordered the supplies for the office, I could whip out a receipt in no time and tell the others what a steno pad would cost, or a can of compressed air, or whatever else they wanted. My bosses would tell me, "Just take a steno pad, Michelle." But I would tell them that down the line, I would need another one so I would prefer to pay for it. By paying the price the company paid for buying things in bulk (well, we were a small office so there wasn't too much bulk but it sure beat buying stuff retail), you not only had the convenience of getting it at work but you paid a nice price for it.

And it's kind of sad, but I never feel the same about someone once I know they steal, or switch tags, or wear clothes and then try to return them, etc. We don't buy "hot" things either, no matter how low the price. I love people who say, "Well, someone's going to buy it, why not me?" And I always want to say, "Well, hell then, I'll give you $50 for your sofa. What?! Well, that's all I'd pay for it if it was hot. Someone's going to buy it, why not me?"

I have a friend who owns a retail clothing store in the French Quarter. At one time, she had three stores down there. When I got out of advertising as I was sick of the stress and travel required, I went to work for her for a short time so another employee who was stealing would quit once she found out she'd have to split commission with me. It worked but I stayed for three years! It was amazing how many people would buy clothes (or jewelry), wear them and then try to return them. We had our return policy of 30 days posted and also posted that jewelry was not returnable. One time this girl came in -- she was probably about 19 or 20 -- and tried to return this rayon dress that was pretty dressy. It was in a gift box, which contained the tissue we'd wrap things in when boxing up. When I opened the tissue up, the smell of perfume was really overwhelming. I even sneezed! I picked up the dress, smelled it (I know, even the owner could not believe I smelled it!) and told her we didn't accept returns on items that had been worn. She told me she hadn't worn it but rather had just tried it on a couple of times. I was very polite but told her that there was no way that just trying a dress on would make that smell cling. She kept swearing she didn't wear it. I told her the fact that she said she hadn't worn it didn't really concern me, as I would be unable to re-sell the dress with that overwhelming cologne smell. She got tears in her eyes and everything but I told her I was sorry but I wasn't going to change my mind.

The next day, she came back, this time with her older sister, who was probably mid-20s. We went through the same thing, over and over. The sister told me she was going to "spread the word" that we screwed people on returns and really got nasty, telling me I was a cheapskate and a thief. I kept my cool and said we'd rather be known for being tough on returns than for selling clothing worn by others.

Another time this guy came in and he wanted to try on women's clothing. He told me he worked with a bunch of girls and they were going out that night and he'd promised to go in drag. I remember when he walked out of the dressing room wearing one of our skirts, two old lady tourists headed right for the door. But heck, he deserved service, too. The next day he came back with everything and started crying, saying his grandmother had died and he needed to return everything to have money for the flight home (yeah, right). This time, I smelled NOTHING and told him I could not take the clothes back because he had worn them the night before. He insisted he hadn't and I reiterated that we could not sell clothes that were worn already, whether or not a man or woman wore them. He kept up the tears so I called the owner, who, of course, said keep it up, etc. on the phone. I told him I would agree to take back the $40. belt he had purchased, as I figured I wouldn't mind buying a belt someone else had worn. He was so ticked and I presume so tired of the crying jag he was putting on that he didn't even return the belt before storming out. I just knew he probably told his office mates that he just returned the clothes after he "dragged" in them.

I also had several things stolen while I was working. No matter how suspicious you are about someone's behavior, when they come in the store in a group and move around quickly, you know you're gonna get hit. It's really disheartening when you're kind to someone, laugh and joke with them and then they leave and you realized they took something without paying for it. I have no tolerance for someone taking something that doesn't belong to them.

11Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:59 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

When I was in college I worked in a store at an exclusive yacht club. Rich people can be the cheapest and sneakiest SOB's. A woman came in with a shirt that she bought and claimed it had a spot on it and wanted to return it. It was obviously worn and stained but I had to take it back because I had to keep the member happy. Another time the owner's sone came in and started stealing candy. I did nothing but I did tell the manager.
Nordstrom has an amazing return policy. I heard about a story about a woman who came in wanting to return some clothing. They had no tags, no receipt and one of the dresses had no zipper so there was no way to get into it. She had made it and tried to return it. I am not sure if they gave her money or not.
One of my friends used to work there and said there was a woman who was a compulsive shopper. She would buy thousands of dollars worth of merchandise and the return it at the end of the month then buy more etc.

12Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I always thought one of my relatives would reach down from heaven and give me a good slap across the head if I even thought of stealing something. I mean, there are times when I'll be mindin' my own business and I swear, I can feel my grandma's eyes on me. It's like, "you're a good girl, Beth Ann, BUT I still have my eye on you."

I can remember one time (and one time only) one of our girls ended up in the back seat of the car with a pack of gum I had not paid for. Even though it was pouring down rain, we marched back into that store and took the item to the cashier so I could pay for it, all the while my daughter had to explain to the cashier she took it from the shelf and did not pay for it. The cashier was good, explained to the child that taking something from the store was wrong, caused the prices to be higher and made her promise not to ever do it again. As soon as we got home with purchased item, it was promptly put into the trash and daughter had to tell her father about the whole incident.

To my knowledge, neither of our children ever stole another item again.

13Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just figured this would be as good a place as any to put a link to a youtube video I thought was interesting....

Observe - the incredible egg!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wubgAIiWpY

14Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:42 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I worked as a part time hostess at a Chinese Buffet before we moved and settled down in our home now.. some time I had to work as a cashier too..

One time I experienced a customer asked for refund because he found a hair in his take out food.. he came back and told me that he wanted his money back, I said to him that I needed a proof of that, because I had to file the refund with my boss.. he did not have any proof, he said that he had thrown away his food.. then I told him to at least provided me the receipt of his purchase, he did not have it.. I could not give him back the money ( as I knew it happened before, the other cashier just gave him back the money he claimed ).. at that time my boss came in and took over the case.. and my boss stood her ground, did not want to give him back the money.. he was mad, and played the racist card  Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil  and threatened to call the police or health department.. my boss said okay and handed him the phone to make the call.. he was stunned and left without saying anything more
 Interesting observation.... 1838020472 

15Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had Double Yolkers a lot, but once Mom had a triple yolker. The yolks were small, but all the same size.
Would you believe, as I am typing this, the Ad is on tv for Egglands Best Eggs.

Geeze... Maybe that is a sign that soon I will find a Golden Egg?

16Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When we raised chickens we, too, had lots of "twins"....

Dad insisted on keeping one rooster, don't know why....noisy, mean, nasty bird. That meant we had to be sure we found ALL the eggs or the darn thing would have that "red" spot...couldn't eat it, not if I saw it. (you know what I'm talkin' about.....ewwwww)

17Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:00 am

LisaSD

LisaSD

A friend of mine (who also works at Estate Sales) and I were just conversing tonight about the people who steal and change price tags at Estate Sales. Just this past weekend, I took a small Egyptian Mother of Pearl inlay table to our sale to sell. I researched it and one just like it had sold on eBay for $100+ so I put a price tag of $50 on it. I was standing next to the cashier when she asked me if I knew how much the little table was. She said the lady thought it was $40 but couldn't find the tag. I told the cashier that I was pretty certain it was $50 or MAYBE it was $60 to which the lady promptly produced the tag "Oh here it is!" in her pocket...

Even though we place a tag with scotch tape over it, people will switch tags or scrape them off and bring them to the cashier with them missing. Then we have to recall how much it was priced. I told my boss that we should begin a new POSTED policy that anything without a price tag WON'T be sold that day...people are so dishonest!

18Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:00 am

LisaSD

LisaSD

dup

Last edited by LisaSD on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total

19Interesting observation.... Empty Re: Interesting observation.... Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:45 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I think your idea is clever but watch, someone will come up with something to beat your system.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum