Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Luck...I SWEAR!

+3
JanaAZ
bethk
LisaSD
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My Luck...I SWEAR! Empty My Luck...I SWEAR! Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:07 am

LisaSD

LisaSD

When my husband and I go to dinner, it seems more often than not that we end up next to the table with the overly loud patron that can be heard all over the restaurant. On my son's last dinner before flying out, we went to the largest brewery restaurant in San Diego and were seated next to the area where someone was having a "going away" get together and some drunk girl was telling stories and laughing too hard at her own jokes and just ruining the pretty ambiance. As we walked out, I kept pointing to table after table of quiet, subdued patrons enjoying their meal and conversations. What couldn't we be seated next to them, I ask? Ugh!

Well, it seems like my bad luck continues in the hospital. I had surgery a month ago and was resting comfortably in my bed until they brought in a lady who ended up keeping me up all night because she wanted this or that or wanted help finding her Bible or some ice chips. I could have wrung her throat. When her daughter got there in the morning, she told her "I didn't sleep all night!" and I was SO tempted to say out loud "AND she made sure I DIDN'T EITHER!" Argghh!

And last night, after being admitted to the hospital after having more surgery and coming back to an emergency room visit with 103 degree fever, I get put into a room with a young girl who is listening to her hip hop music on her iPhone when I'm being wheeled into the room. I asked if this was the only available bed cuz I could see the writing on the wall...but nope, sorry...it is the only available bed. Sure enough, her girlfriend arrives around 10 pm and sits on her bed with her and they are listening to music so I read until about 11:30 and turn off my light to give them the hint to be quiet. No such thing! I plug in my earbuds to my iphone to drown out the stupid rap music with every other word an "F" word and still can't sleep because their light is bothering me and I like absolute quiet when I sleep. Finally at 1 am, when they start snapping their fingers to the music...I've had enough. I get out of bed and talk to the charge nurse and tell her there is a reason that civilian hospitals have curfews for guests. She tells my "roomie" that her guests (which now include a boyfriend) have to leave and she needs to go to bed. She curses (of course) but goes to the waiting room to hang out with them all night! Relief at last!

Unbelievable bad luck, I tell you!

I have surgery scheduled for the end of the month. You KNOW I am dreading my roommate...

2My Luck...I SWEAR! Empty Re: My Luck...I SWEAR! Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:57 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, man, Lisa....and you get to anticipate all the disturbance, knowing you'll be there the end of the month. So sorry.

I wish I could come up with a solution...me, I'd probably use my call button to ask for someone to come to the room and then, in no uncertain terms, loudly enough so my roommate could hear, I would ask for some assistance in getting some quiet. I don't care about being "polite", and hopefully the roommate would take the hint. If not, I figure they can't create much more of a disturbance than they are and at least I get the satisfaction of letting them know what boors they are.

3My Luck...I SWEAR! Empty Re: My Luck...I SWEAR! Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:43 am

JanaAZ

That's awful, Lisa. It's hard enough being in a hospital, but under that situation.....

I can't believe the hospital allows those kind of visiting hours. Jeez.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon. It's been a tough few months for you,, my friend, and it's time for it to all be over. Sending hugs from Phoenix....

4My Luck...I SWEAR! Empty Re: My Luck...I SWEAR! Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:17 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Lisa,
So sorry your saga continues..

I think I would have called the nurse because I could not get any rest.
I am surprised there are not any visiting hours..
Although, recently the Boston hospitals are being more lax about them. Certainly, people are hospitalized for a specific reason. They are sick, and need rest.
My dad had the same problem with one roomie.
Each time he wanted to nap, in came multiple people to visit his roomie. I know we did ask them to be quiet, and I even said something to the nurse--it did not help at all...
There is something to be said about private rooms. Although so expensive.
Lisa, you have had a bad time recently..
I wish you a better 2014.
Good luck on your surgery..
Hope you are improving and feeling better.......
How are the shingles?
Did you get any relief from them? My doctor prescribed gabapentin for the nerve pain. I order zostrix cream from Amazon. It did seem to help a bit. The itching was horrible.
Now I just have scars..I also started taking lysine daily. I think it helped..
Good luck! I love you

5My Luck...I SWEAR! Empty Re: My Luck...I SWEAR! Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:07 am

LisaSD

LisaSD

I don't have a choice CG, it is a military hospital.  People should have common sense...you would think, huh?

Shingles is still an issue but lessening.  I'll ask my Dr. about your medications.  Thanks for the tip.

On the good side of things, I've lost almost 11 pounds and feel good about that.  Hope to keep it off with healthy eating when I regain an appetite.

6My Luck...I SWEAR! Empty Re: My Luck...I SWEAR! Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:24 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, poor Lisa ~ that is NOT how anyone would want to lose weight, I'm sure.

I hope your recovery is speedy and you regain your appetite and can get back in the kitchen to make more great meals soon.

7My Luck...I SWEAR! Empty Re: My Luck...I SWEAR! Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:33 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

So sorry for all your troubles lately, Lisa.

I hate to mention the restaurant after your tales of woe about the hospital stays but you should ask to have your table changed when that happens. We spend too much money today to have it ruined by someone nearby. If they tell us that it's the only available table, we smile and say we'll wait in the bar until another one becomes available. Most restaurants want you to be happy and have no problem with moving you. Also, sometimes it gives them some credibility to ask a noisy diner to pipe down, too!

Even under great circumstances which includes polite and considerate "roommates," I don't find that you get much sleep in any hospital. That's why I think people can't wait to get home.

I hope you only have minimal necessaries stays from now on. So sorry you have to go through all this!

8My Luck...I SWEAR! Empty Re: My Luck...I SWEAR! Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:18 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My houseguest had to spend 3 weeks in the hospital when she had CMV. She had the same problem with noise. She got earplugs and a sleeping mask.

9My Luck...I SWEAR! Empty Re: My Luck...I SWEAR! Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:13 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Poor Lisa! That will all be behind you soon.
Get better, and rest up when you get home.

I remember in the 50's ... Mom would ask the Dr. to put her in the hospital for tests because she didn't feel well. He did, and with no questions asked.
5 Days, mom would come home, and 10 lbs. lighter.
I remember her talking on the phone with her sisters and friends, and saying,"Oh! I'm glad he put me in the hospital because I needed to lose this weight!"
And guess what? My mom was thin. I could never figure that out!!  Rolling Eyes 

Tests? Today!! .... They do them all in a couple hours, and Home You Go! pale 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum