Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Got a problem

+3
Barbara101
UNCLE JIMMY
Bugster2
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Got a problem Empty Got a problem Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:02 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have a problem: the inside of my refrigerator stinks. I have pulled everything out and done the sniff test. I have pulled out all the drawers and shelves and washed the interior down but there is still a stink in there. I have opened a new box of baking soda and that has not helped. The only thing left is the water filter inside the fridge. Could that stink? Any ideas would be appreciated.

2Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I have a problem: the inside of my refrigerator stinks. I have pulled everything out and done the sniff test. I have pulled out all the drawers and shelves and washed the interior down but there is still a stink in there. I have opened a new box of baking soda and that has not helped. The only thing left is the water filter inside the fridge. Could that stink? Any ideas would be appreciated.

In the freezer section, there is the evaporator.
It is the coil of copper tube with the aluminum fins on it, that the air is blown through to remove heat from the food. That aluminum can hold odors like the old time aluminum ice cube trays before the ice machine in todays modern refrigerator / freezes.
There is usually an access panel that covers that.
Removing it would be the only way to see the coil and drain pan that sits under the coil for when the freezer goes into defrost.
There is an electric heater element that is turned on every 12 hours, and if there is enough ice on the coil, it will initiate defrost.

The heater melts the ice, and the water is drained out of the box to a hose that directs the water to a plastic drain pan under the box that will eveaporate when the condenser comes back on, and the heat is blown over the water which will allow it to evaporate.

That pan could have mold in it that may cause odors. It is very very thin plastic, and is very fragile. Some are easily removed to be cleaned. If not, it will have to be sponged out with a bleach solution carefully.
If the pan cracks...you will have water on the floor on the next defrost cycle.

Getting back to the evap coil, if it is accessed, it can be cleaned with a sope solution like spray nine or mr clean, and then rinsed with a spray of water.

A really rare case, would be a stink from a mouse that had gotten inside the freezer but that would only happen if the door was opened, and the mouse ran in there.

A spray without removing the evaporator cover by using denatured alcohol that can be purchased at the drugstore by asking the pharmacist. That's where Tina got it one time at CVS.Drugs. Mix water and 20% solution of alcohol, and spray the inside of the cabinet box.

To hasten baking soda to work effectively...sprinkle some pans of the bicarbonate on pans placed inside the box so it has a greater surface area of the soda to absorb quickly.

A pan can be laid on a shelf in the refrigerator medium temperature food section, and a towel inside the pan and then soaked with 50% alcohol and 50% water. It will evaporate to rid odors. This will take time though. At least overnight ....

good luck bugs

Be careful of sparks and flame . Be careful not to get too much alcohol on plastic parts. Some plastics will decompose and break down with alcohol.
Do a test swatch with a Q-Tip on a small area to be sure it will not melt the plastic parts.

3Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:23 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Or call the man  Razz 

Wow that seems like work I would not or could not do.

4Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:51 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

sure you could......IF it was YOUR refrigerator and you had a stink you would do everything in your power to fix it. Fortunately, Jimmy explains it so you have an idea of where to look that you never thought of....

Sorry, Bugs, but this time I have to say, "I'm glad it's someone other than ME".....

Hope you get to the bottom of the stench and get it figured out.

5Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:36 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Well it is my fridge & I would call the man.No way would I dream of messing with something I know nothing about.

6Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:03 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I think I have found the problem: an excess amount of cheese leftover from the holidays. I pulled all of the cheese out of the drawer, sniffed, no smell but I put all of it in a ziplock bag. This morning the smell was almost gone. I may have to toss most of it. Funny, I can't smell a stinky chunk nor is anything moldy but just the same something is a bit too ripe. I am going to have give some of them the heave-ho. It could be I can't smell the culprit because I still have left-overs from a cold.

7Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Hahahahahahahahaha... OMG that is so funny.
I could imagine how that happens.
I was in the downstairs spare refrigerator. and DD keeps exotic cheeses in the bottom drawer. It's 34º at the bottom, but I did find one cheese that the cellophane packaging was ripped.
Well..... It smelled like a sour diaper in there or as bluntly put, (A Cheesy @$$) LOL LOL LOL.....

The freezer episode on the Andy Griffith Show, is my favorite.
He tells aunt Bea.... " Cawl The Mayan!" aunt Bea;;;"Would Ya Jist Cawl the Mayan ta fix the freeezer!"

8Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:21 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

" Cawl The Mayan!" aunt Bea;;;"Would Ya Jist Cawl the Mayan ta fix the freeezer!"

hehehehehe that is most likely where I got that. I still watch it.I also watch Matlock.Love the old reruns.

9Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:45 pm

LisaSD

LisaSD

One time, we stayed at a beach rental and my sister had brought home some leftover lasagna from a local restaurant. We cleaned out the fridge at the end of the week and noticed a sour smell. Everything was out of the refrigerator and it still stunk. We pulled out the refrigerator and nothing but dust balls was under or behind it. Finally, I pulled off the front grate at the bottom of the fridge and there was a tray (for evaporation or freezer? Jimmy will know). Anyway, that was the source of the stink. I guess some lasagna cheesy juice had made its way down there. It looked like it had never been cleaned. Problem solved...

10Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

LisaSD wrote:One time, we stayed at a beach rental and my sister had brought home some leftover lasagna from a local restaurant.  We cleaned out the fridge at the end of the week and noticed a sour smell.  Everything was out of the refrigerator and it still stunk.  We pulled out the refrigerator and nothing but dust balls was under or behind it.  Finally, I pulled off the front grate at the bottom of the fridge and there was a tray (for evaporation or freezer?  Jimmy will know).  Anyway, that was the source of the stink.  I guess some lasagna cheesy juice had made its way down there.  It looked like it had never been cleaned.  Problem solved...

That is also the place where you need to be aggressive about vacuuming, too. We have a cat who must have a shed button. She is super, super soft -- the softest cat we've ever had, as she feels like fine velvet -- and when you pet her, you see the freaking hair fly off. At any rate, dust woofies are created quickly from cat hair and if that front grate is not vacuumed regularly, it will block up and break the whole darn thing. Is this correct, Jimmy?

I'm laughing here, as anytime anything breaks in our house, I immediately think of asking Jimmy about it! No lie. I don't always do it, though, as our clothes washer (15.5 years old) broke almost two weeks ago -- it filled with water and just stopped. Since it was so old, I decided to get a new one rather than have someone come out for $100 to show up and tell me it wasn't worth it. New one (top load, as we have no room for front load PLUS no one seems to like them anyway) is being delivered today between 4 and 8 pm. Funny, as he's got to do the haulaway, and then install the new one. If he comes close to 6 pm, it's dark already. But we really do need to do laundry.

11Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
LisaSD wrote:One time, we stayed at a beach rental and my sister had brought home some leftover lasagna from a local restaurant.  We cleaned out the fridge at the end of the week and noticed a sour smell.  Everything was out of the refrigerator and it still stunk.  We pulled out the refrigerator and nothing but dust balls was under or behind it.  Finally, I pulled off the front grate at the bottom of the fridge and there was a tray (for evaporation or freezer?  Jimmy will know).  Anyway, that was the source of the stink.  I guess some lasagna cheesy juice had made its way down there.  It looked like it had never been cleaned.  Problem solved...

That is also the place where you need to be aggressive about vacuuming, too.  We have a cat who must have a shed button.  She is super, super soft -- the softest cat we've ever had, as she feels like fine velvet -- and when you pet her, you see the freaking hair fly off.  At any rate, dust woofies are created quickly from cat hair and if that front grate is not vacuumed regularly, it will block up and break the whole darn thing.  Is this correct, Jimmy?  

I'm laughing here, as anytime anything breaks in our house, I immediately think of asking Jimmy about  it!  No lie.  I don't always do it, though, as our clothes washer (15.5 years old) broke almost two weeks ago -- it filled with water and just stopped.  Since it was so old, I decided to get a new one rather than have someone come out for $100 to show up and tell me it wasn't worth it.  New one (top load, as we have no room for front load PLUS no one seems to like them anyway) is being delivered today between 4 and 8 pm.  Funny, as he's got to do the haulaway, and then install the new one.  If he comes close to 6 pm, it's dark already.  But we really do need to do laundry.  

It's funny...today I had to change the water filter on the whirlpool refridge.
I wanted to vacuum the underneath condenser coil because with three kitty's it seems tat coil gets matted with dust bunnies really quick.
That is something I had to put off because it is raining, and my knees are swollen
and ache from the arthritis. hahahahahahaha
It's on my to do list.

12Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:41 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:It's funny...today I had to change the water filter on the whirlpool refridge.  I wanted to vacuum the underneath condenser coil because with three kitty's it seems tat coil gets matted with dust bunnies really quick.
That is something I had to put off because it is raining, and my knees are swollen and ache from the arthritis. hahahahahahaha
It's on my to do list.

Jimmy, I just bought one of those thick foam "kneelers" that garden centers/catalogs/websites sell so you can use them while gardening.  While I'm sure we'll use it there, too, I really got it for kneeling on the darn ceramic tile floor in the kitchen.  Brian was tickled and plans to use it for both locations.  Tina is a much better shopper than I am so you can put her on to the task of finding a good one for a good price.  They really do help.

13Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:It's funny...today I had to change the water filter on the whirlpool refridge.  I wanted to vacuum the underneath condenser coil because with three kitty's it seems tat coil gets matted with dust bunnies really quick.
That is something I had to put off because it is raining, and my knees are swollen and ache from the arthritis. hahahahahahaha
It's on my to do list.

Jimmy, I just bought one of those thick foam "kneelers" that garden centers/catalogs/websites sell so you can use them while gardening.  While I'm sure we'll use it there, too, I really got it for kneeling on the darn ceramic tile floor in the kitchen.  Brian was tickled and plans to use it for both locations.  Tina is a much better shopper than I am so you can put her on to the task of finding a good one for a good price.  They really do help.

Thanks Michelle. I use the couch cushions. I take three, and stuff them in a plastic bags, and use them to lay and kneel on.
I need a chair near bye so I can use it to get up off my knees.
It's so funny, and my Daughter says,"Dad, what the heck are you doing, sleeping in the kitchen?"

14Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:05 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Thanks Michelle. I use the couch cushions. I take three, and stuff them in a plastic bags, and use them to lay and kneel on.
It's so funny, and my Daughter says,"Dad, what the heck are you doing, sleeping in the kitchen?"

I guess that's the professional in you, Jimmy! I know what you mean about a nearby chair. I make sure Brian is around instead (grin, 6'4" and able to help pull me up)!

15Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:08 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Well, it isn't the cheese 'cause the fridge still stinks. A food odor, not mold. Like an over-ripe romano that has gone south. I pulled off the front grill and pulled out a big ball of grey fuzz. A combination of dust and cat hair. I might have my DH pull the fridge out and see if there is a pan. The odor is coming from the inside though. I hate having to re-wash the inside but I prolly will have to. I will follow your directions Jimmy.

16Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:19 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:Thanks Michelle. I use the couch cushions. I take three, and stuff them in a plastic bags, and use them to lay and kneel on.

I guess that's the professional in you, Jimmy!  I know what you mean about a nearby chair.  I make sure Brian is around instead (grin, 6'4" and able to help pull me up)!

I have those knee pads, but they cut off my circulation.

Yeah! The chair or the cane works. I'm so afraid to break the cane though.

Wow! Brian is a tall drink. 6'-4" ....

I'm 6'-4" too.................W I D E that is! LOL

17Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Well, it isn't the cheese 'cause the fridge still stinks. A food odor, not mold. Like an over-ripe romano that has gone south. I pulled off the front grill and pulled out a big ball of grey fuzz. A combination of dust and cat hair. I might have my DH pull the fridge out and see if there is a pan. The odor is coming from the inside though. I hate having to re-wash the inside but I prolly will have to. I will follow your directions Jimmy.

Try the cookie sheet with the baking soda spread indide it.

Another way is to pour baking soda in a couple socks, and hang or lay them toward the bottom of the medium temperature of the box. Not the freezer.
The air is always blown out the top, and is sucked back over the evaporator coil from the bottom. Re-circulation will allow the soda to absorb the odors quicker.

If you vacuumed the dust and fur from the intake air at the bottom, did you pull off the fancy grill? It just snaps on and off if you didn't.
The side, usually on the left that blows the air and heat is where the shallow defrost water pan is located. That's on the underside and NOT inside the box.

18Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:27 am

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

We once bought a fridge that was a "return" at a furniture store and it was stinky when we opened it and the clerk said they'd clean it for us. Well, they didn't and I found dead green beans under the produce drawer and other icky stuff. Couldn't get the smell out after cleaning or a week with baking soda in it. Read somewhere to use a charcoal filter or finely crushed charcoal from the natural foods store. I put some in a cup inside the freezer and fridge and in a few days the smell was gone. I kept the cups in the back of each area and it stayed fresh smelling.

19Got a problem Empty Re: Got a problem Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

thesweetestpea wrote:We once bought a fridge that was a "return" at a furniture store and it was stinky when we opened it and the clerk said they'd clean it for us.  Well, they didn't and I found dead green beans under the produce drawer and other icky stuff.  Couldn't get the smell out after cleaning or a week with baking soda in it.  Read somewhere to use a charcoal filter or finely crushed charcoal from the natural foods store.  I put some in a cup inside the freezer and fridge and in a few days the smell was gone.  I kept the cups in the back of each area and it stayed fresh smelling.

So right about charcoal. Activated charcoal is a great odor absorber.
It can be regenerated easily by heating it in an oven set at 200ºF for an hour or so.Then it can be used effectively again. Granulated charcoal works best.

http://www.amazon.com/Granulated-Activated-Carbon-1-cu-ft/dp/B0017677O8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390579223&sr=8-1&keywords=granulated+charcoal

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum