Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup Empty Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

In the old forum we got into a discussion about mushroom soup and ArrrTea shared a recipe he had from a now closed Michigan restaurant. I made it once, I made it twice....I just made it again. I, personally, think it is the best mushroom soup I've ever made.

Here's the recipe:

MUSHROOM SOUP FROM THE GOLDEN MUSHROOM RESTAURANT
(Chef Kevin Enright, Oakland Community College Culinary Studies Institute)

Chef Kevin was a chef at the Golden Mushroom restaurant and shared the recipe for their famous mushroom soup with us.

3 oz. onion cut in 1/4 inch dice (about 1 medium sized onion)
1/2 stalk celery cut in 1/4 inch dice
1/2 large leek, clean well and cut just the white part into a 1/4 inch dice
4 oz. clarified butter
3 1/2 oz. flour
2 qt. chicken stock
1/2 bay leaf
salt, white pepper and freshly grated nutmeg to taste (start small)
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 c. half and half or heavy cream

"Sweat" the onion, celery and leak in butter until it is clear and the water is evaporated from the vegetables. Add flour and cook until it turns light tan in color and then set aside.

In a large pot, warm up the chicken stock, bay leaf, salt, white pepper and nutmeg. Add the vegetable and flour mixture and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40-60 minutes until thick (if soup gets too thick and a little more stock).

"Sweat" the mushrooms in a small amount of clarified butter until almost dry (au sec). Strain the soup pot. Add the mushrooms to the broth and simmer for 10 minutes.

Warm the cream and add to the soup. Adjust the seasonings.
(makes 2 quarts)

2Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup Empty Re: Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanks for that recipe Beth. It sounds good.

Your todays meal looks nice too.

We buy the heavy cream x two at Sams, and it keeps for months in the downstairs fridge.

I tried saving heavy cream by freezing it. N G ...Failure..BIG TIME. It looked like curds and whey when it thawed out. hahahahaha

3Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup Empty Re: Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, my half & half expired on Christmas Day....it had enough for a couple bowls of soup in the carton but it smelled a tad bad so, rather than ruin my taste for the soup I really like I decided to dump the half & half and wait until I get some fresh.

4Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup Empty Re: Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today it was soup for lunch. Tina was up at the church working and she had sandwiches delivered. Ummm!

For supper tonight, I made Philly Cheese Steaks.
Used the thin sliced eye round Tina gets at the oriental market.
I topped the beef with fried peppers and onions, and on a toasted italian soft rolls.
Then Provalone domestic mild cheese, and a spot of mozzarella cheese.

Tina ate 1/2 of hers, and I ate the other half; plus mine.

Sorry. I don't know where my head is.
I posted this on the mushroom soup thread by mistake! LOL Embarassed 

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total

5Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup Empty Re: Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:28 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

today is soup day for my DH too.. he just had his tooth pulled.. so he ate canned cream of mushroom soup, we came home late, so it's easier to open a can of soup than to cook it from scratch.. I think he likes eating it once in a while.. it was one of his comfort foods when he was still unmarried...

Tomorrow he wants some chicken porridge, and I'm going to make some veggies ( kale) + fruits ( mango and apple) juice for him too
 Laughing 

6Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup Empty Re: Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:12 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:today is soup day for my DH too.. he just had his tooth pulled.. so he ate canned cream of mushroom soup, we came home late, so it's easier to open a can of soup than to  cook it from scratch.. I think he likes eating it once in a while.. it was one of his comfort foods when he was still unmarried...

Tomorrow he wants some chicken porridge, and I'm going to make some veggies ( kale) + fruits ( mango and apple) juice for him too
 Laughing 

Oh good gracious, I had mine pulled three weeks ago.
Hope he feels better soon.

7Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup Empty Re: Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:50 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Jimmy.. he is doing okay.. he took painkiller prescribed by his doctor.. we were watching TV show when he said: I'm hungry.. ( again), so I made him soup.. I have leftover couscous, some chicken broth, so I heated my chicken broth, added a few spoons of couscous, boiled them, then I added 1 egg, boiled them again for a little bit until the egg white was set, the yolk was still soft and runny.. he enjoyed it very much  Laughing 

I'm sorry Beth.. it's a bit out of topic
 Laughing 

8Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup Empty Re: Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:18 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I have that recipe, too, but have never tried it. Might have to make that soon.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum