Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Math Problem

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Math Problem Empty Math Problem Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:51 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have a recipe that uses 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar. It is a bit sweet so I want to reduce the amount of sugars used proportionately. I want to get a total of 1 cup of sugar. I can see that there is twice as much brown as white but for the life of me I can't quite get it down to 1 cup. The reduction in sugar will not affect the recipe.

2Math Problem Empty Re: Math Problem Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have no idea if this is correct, but I'm givin' it a go....

You have a total of 1 - 1/2 c. sugar and you want to cut back by 25% so it equals 1 cup.....

1 cup equals 16 Tablespoons

1 - 1/2 c. (total of all sugar) = 24 Tablespoons

16 T. brown sugar X 75% = 12 T.

8 T. granulated sugar X 75% = 6 T.

(*proof.....24 T. X 75% = 18 T., 12 + 6 = 18)

3Math Problem Empty Re: Math Problem Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

In actuality if I were doing that I would just lightly pack my brown sugar to 3/4 c. and measure my granulated sugar to a hefty 1/4 c.

But that's me - the "not so scientific" baker.....

4Math Problem Empty Re: Math Problem Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No....wait a minute.

you have a total of 24 T. and you want to have 16 T. in the end....(16 T. Br. Sugar & 8 T. Gran. Sugar)

16 divided by 24 is .666, I'll round to 67%

16 T. Brown Sugar X 67% = 10.7 T.

8 T. Gran. Sugar X 67% = 5.4 T

10.5 T. Brown Sugar + 5.5 T. Granulated Sugar = 16 T. (1 cup)

Crap, it's been years since I've had to deal with this stuff.

IF I CANNOT SLEEP TONIGHT, I WILL PUT SUCH A HEX ON YOU !!!

(just kidding.....lol)

5Math Problem Empty Re: Math Problem Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Who was that woman who subbed teaching math? Man, she loved this stuff.

I don't

Geeze, Louise, just find a different recipe........

6Math Problem Empty Re: Math Problem Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:11 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Yes, It is about 33.3%. My DH gave me a simple solution just now. Leave it to a man. Mix both sugars together and then measure 1 cup.

7Math Problem Empty Re: Math Problem Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:30 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

my bro was so good at math.I am so bad that I use a calculator.
When a friend asked me to make cheesecakes for his restaurant,I went from one cake to 6.Then 8,then 10.man I was lost.When I made 4 at my house I made them all separate then baked them off.
Right off the top of his head he told me how to make them.I said yes to quick to the job & only lasted 4 months. lol I did however take another job with a friend who owned a Tea Room.Now I loved that.Lunch..10 tables.I made up the menus & made the desserts.To this day she still uses my recipes.I tell ya IF my back was not out of whack I might still want to work a day or so. That is not happening tho.Some days I can hardly walk to the mailbox. Math Problem 2787578702 

8Math Problem Empty Re: Math Problem Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:01 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Yes, It is about 33.3%. My DH gave me a simple solution just now. Leave it to a man. Mix both sugars together and then measure 1 cup.

Well, yeah...of course, IF you want the SIMPLE SOLUTION !!!

Hahahahaaha.

9Math Problem Empty Re: Math Problem Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:47 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

You would never know I actually took and passed Calculus would you? Somehow managed to pass Statistics, Economics and a bunch of other math oriented classes. I still count on my fingers and, God forbid I should ever have to do word problem with two trains coming at each other from opposite directions. I am so math challenged that it took almost a year before I mastered my old HP business calculator.

10Math Problem Empty Re: Math Problem Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:40 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've never worried about that train problem....

the answer I wrote was, "I overslept and missed the train....."

lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum