Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pot Roast cooking today

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pot Roast cooking today Empty Pot Roast cooking today Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:33 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

stove top. slow cooker. oven.

What is your favorite way to cook it?

Forgot I took out 2 slabs of chuck roast Shocked grilled hot dogs will have to wait..

2Pot Roast cooking today Empty Re: Pot Roast cooking today Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:04 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

My favorite is the old fashioned oven method, with potatoes, carrots & onions (lots of onions), seasoned with just s&p.

My second favorite would be the crock pot with the 3 dry mixes; brown gravy, ranch salad dressing & Italian salad dressing ~ super easy and very tasty, even the leftovers make the best Italian Beef Sandwiches we've ever had.

3Pot Roast cooking today Empty Re: Pot Roast cooking today Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:19 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

brown gravy, ranch salad dressing & Italian salad dressing ~

I have 2.No dry It dressing,I do have bottled.

If I get it going asap,hope 8hrs will be enough time.lol

4Pot Roast cooking today Empty Re: Pot Roast cooking today Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:43 pm

NormM

NormM

I like the three dry mixes on a low stove top in a dutch oven.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

5Pot Roast cooking today Empty Re: Pot Roast cooking today Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:brown gravy, ranch salad dressing & Italian salad dressing ~

I have 2.No dry It dressing,I do have  bottled.

If I get it going asap,hope 8hrs will be enough time.lol

Yes, 8 hrs. should be enough. I've never used the liquid salad dressing but I would think it would be fine. Just mix the other 2 dry mixes and spoon on top of the roast, no need to sear. The dripping condensation from the lid of the crock pot causes the brown gravy mix and ranch dressing mix to give the meat an almost seared look and taste. Just do not open the thing up....just let it cook.

6Pot Roast cooking today Empty Re: Pot Roast cooking today Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I would do it stove top if I had a nice do. I have 2 & one is a Huge club.I have not used it in years. The other I bought a while ago.it is ok but I don't like it either lol.Magnelite.I should treat myself to a nice enameled one.Only thing is the top on the lid is plastic.Guess that is ok for med to low temps. Also I was saddened to hear Lodge enameled is made in china Evil or Very Mad Sad Might still get one.

It is in the slow cooker.Sure smells good.I just put in a bunch of carrots with 2 big sweet onions.Potatoe I might do mashed IDK.My back is not in the mood to let me stand for long,so I have to either wait or pull up a chair lol. I keep saying I need a stool but I don't even know if that work.

My girls must smell a carrot a mile away.Both of them jumping on legs & under my feet begging for a carrot lol

7Pot Roast cooking today Empty Re: Pot Roast cooking today Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:47 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara wrote:My back is not in the mood to let me stand for long,so I have to either wait or pull up a chair lol. I keep saying I need a stool but I don't even know if that work.

I've learned since I've been older that if I'm going to stand in the kitchen for a long time, I put tennis shoes on (gee, how dated am I -- "tennis shoes").  I'm a high-heel girl normally but my kitchen floor is ceramic and it's not easy on your back or feet, I've found.  You're usually okay the day you do all the standing (if you don't have tennis shoes on), but the next day, you really feel it.  

Another thing you coud try, Barbara, is one of those gel mats where you do your standing.  

Okay, now that I'm finished my OT stuff, we're having pot roast today as well.  Since the temperature is back up and the AC is running occasionally, we're going to make it on the stove instead of turning the oven on.  (I don't have a crockpot -- never did and no room for one as it is.)  Brian likes to stab the sliced garlic into the roast, and he also likes to be in charge of browning stuff.  While he's browning the roast, he'll also chop up the onions and celery for me.  Then I come in and take over.

We'll probably have basmati rice and -- ta dah! -- more roasted brussel sprouts. We plan to have them on Christmas as well but he bought a lot of fresh ones yesterday (two big bags). They didn't have the fresh ones on a stalk but they did have bagged fresh brussel sprouts. He was giggling as I was putting away the groceries, saying, "I cannot BELIEVE I'm looking forward to having brussel sprouts!"

Another off topic bit: Brian went to the grocery the other day just to buy some wine and pick up a nice standing rib roast for Christmas. I wanted to get one before all that was left was little ones. I made sure to tell him to call me when he got to the meat department so I could okay the size and price (and make sure that it's not "select" meat, as Brian is not much of a label reader). At any rate, he called and said they had one that was about six pounds and about $50, which I said was fine.

He helped me put the groceries away and then I got distracted and started doing something else. Much later that evening, I thought, "Hmm. Let me check out the rib roast." Our fridge is usually packed full but I looked everywhere for it and couldn't find it. I even checked out the freezer, thinking perhaps he wrapped and froze it. We was already upstairs watching TV in bed, so I hollered up and asked where the rib roast was. His response: "Where else but the fridge?" So back I went and searched again. As I was practically tearing up the fridge, he hollers down from upstairs, "Mi, I think I forgot to put it in my cart." Just paint the picture: He has the roast in his hand so he can look at the pound weight and also the price. He phones me and I okay the purchase. But he forgets to put it in his cart!

So he sheepishly went to the grocery again the next day and actually purchased one...

8Pot Roast cooking today Empty Re: Pot Roast cooking today Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:So he sheepishly went to the grocery again the next day and actually purchased one...

Hahahahahaha! Too funny.

On the bright side, he DID manage to find his way home. Also, there is always that "classic" of setting the heavy bag 'o beef on top of the car, then shutting the door and driving away.....

no, that's NEVER actually happened to me but I have read about it happening to other sorry folks.

(and if you believe THAT lie, well, I got a million more!)

9Pot Roast cooking today Empty Re: Pot Roast cooking today Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
Crybaby wrote:So he sheepishly went to the grocery again the next day and actually purchased one...

Hahahahahaha! Too funny.  

On the bright side, he DID manage to find his way home.  Also, there is always that "classic" of setting the heavy bag 'o beef on top of the car, then shutting the door and driving away.....

no, that's NEVER actually happened to me but I have read about it happening to other sorry folks.

(and if you believe THAT lie, well, I got a million more!)

I know. My first thought was that he might have left it in the car when he brought in the groceries. Yikes! Then I thought, OMG, did he pay for it and it was left at checkout and not put in a bag? I was thinking 50 bucks down the drain. Of course, he didn't know where the receipt was (he can lose a receipt quicker than anyone I know) but he found it the next day (he could probably see the steam coming out of my ears).

When I was in high school (Catholic and all-girl), you couldn't bring a car to school until you were a senior. I used to drop my mom off at work, go to school and then pick her up on my way home (all the rich kids had cars of their own, including one who got a Jaguar XKE for her 15th birthday -- we could drive at 15 back then). Well, anyway, I was driving and wasn't far from school and still in a residential neighborhood. I noticed everyone I passed was looking at me, or checking me out as I passed. I remember thinking, "Girl, you must look some good today!" After a couple of minutes when I stopped at a stopsign, I heard a big "clunk" and looked out my rearview mirror and lo and behold, there was my purse, which had fallen from the roof onto the top of the trunk!  Embarassed 

10Pot Roast cooking today Empty Re: Pot Roast cooking today Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

hahaha.. so funny stories Crybaby..  lol! 

back to pot roast.. I'm cooking it now in my Crockpot ( love my new 7 qt crockpot)  Laughing  I browned it and placed in my crockpot.. I season it with soy sauce, nutmeg and cloves ( Indonesian style, we usually cut the meat in a cubes and brown them before slow cooked on the stove), I'm going to add potatoes and carrots.. I might brown them too before I put them in the pot,  I'm going to add a bit of sweet soy sauce and vinegar 30 minutes before I finish cooking it..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum