Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOOD !!! No time to build an ark....

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1FLOOD !!! No time to build an ark.... Empty FLOOD !!! No time to build an ark.... Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lawdy, but I do NOT like problems, but if there are problems I'm glad they aren't disasters.....

The day before Dane got here, when he was getting on the road, I discovered a small leak coming from the water filter under the sink. Fortunately, I discovered the puddle of water and turned off the cold water supply to stop the flow of water to the filter. Whoever installed the filter didn't take the time to put a shut off between the water line and the filter. OK, so all I had was hot water connected to the sink, but I could deal with it until Mr. Amazing got here.

When he had a chance to rest and start to look at the problem he turned the water supply back on. And, of course, NO leak. He always looks at me as if I made it up....

So, the water's been on since Friday afternoon. No leak. Dry as dirt.

Until 20 minutes ago. I heard a "POP" and walked out to the kitchen to investigate.....

* * * * F * L * O * O * D !!! * * * *

I crawled under the sink and it was spewing from the top of the filter canister. Damn !

Soaked jeans from the knees down as I kneeled in the rising tide and turned off the water supply. Crap. Little tiny turn-y thing to turn off the water....

I pulled all the towels out of the kitchen drawer to stem the flow that was running under the stove and then ran to the linen closet and got 10 bath towels....what a mess.

But, on the bright side ~ we were home. The floor had just been washed & steamed before Dane got here so it wasn't a muddy mess. And NOW he knows where the leak was coming from so maybe NOW he can fix the problem.

I do so hate messes!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Jimmy, you're gonna love this one!

Here's a pic of the failed filter - I stuck a toothpick in the crack that formed all around the top of the filter housing.

FLOOD !!! No time to build an ark.... FilterFailure

We'll have to find a replacement because this really worked well, allowing for better tasting tap water and removal of sediment/minerals/etc.

FLOOD !!! No time to build an ark.... 0751d551-9703-4d39-b15c-82976674c961

3FLOOD !!! No time to build an ark.... Empty Re: FLOOD !!! No time to build an ark.... Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:07 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

What a drag, Beth! It's a shame it had to happen but at least Dane was there to deal with it -- it would've been worse if you'd have been alone, you know it!

We've got a problem which occurred yesterday as well. Brian took the car (a 2009 Honda Accord EXL) to the drug store to pick up some prescriptions. He called about 30 minutes later and told me was at the neighborhood bar, The Old Point -- only a block away. He said the car started up fine (I watched him drive away from the window) but then started sputtering a bit so he pulled over near the bar. The car killed and wouldn't start again. He had cables and figured it was the battery so a guy in the bar agreed to give him a jump -- it wouldn't take the jump and just did that rattle it does when you turn the key and get no battery. I guess (Jimmy?) it must be the alternator -- ticks me off as the car isn't even five years old yet and Hondas are usually so freaking reliable! I told Brian it was Sunday so walk home. He had help from the guy to push the car into a legal parking spot. A shot and a beer thanked the guy for his help.

We're getting ready to call the dealer and get it towed in. The tow will probably be 25 miles to the dealer -- yikes!-- and then, only God knows how much they're going to hit us with. Naturally, we only have one car so we'll have to mooch a ride out to the dealer once it's repaired. Sure wish Jimmy lived close!

4FLOOD !!! No time to build an ark.... Empty Re: FLOOD !!! No time to build an ark.... Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We joined AAA when we moved down here since I would be here alone much of the time. The tow is free. Actually, I've heard of people who "share" a membership. Even if you are a passenger in a car that breaks down, your membership # pays for the tow.....not that I'm suggesting you call around and see if anyone YOU know are AAA members.

Just sayin'

(hmmmmmm)

5FLOOD !!! No time to build an ark.... Empty Re: FLOOD !!! No time to build an ark.... Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:39 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:We joined AAA when we moved down here since I would be here alone much of the time.  The tow is free.  Actually, I've heard of people who "share" a membership.  Even if you are a passenger in a car that breaks down, your membership # pays for the tow.....not that I'm suggesting you call around and see if anyone YOU know are AAA members.

Just sayin'

(hmmmmmm)
When I was in advertising, the local AAA was one of my clients. I heard an hysterical story from the PR director once about how people "shared" memberships. It seems an entire neighborhood block had chipped in (it was a rather poor area of town) for a AAA membership. Well, the proverbial $$hit hit the fan when a tow truck driver got to the woman's house who'd called them for a jump. She went out in the front yard and hollered at the top of her lungs, "Hey, whoever has the AAA card, please bring it 'cause the man is here and I need it!" Needless to say, that membership was cancelled!

Thanks, Beth, but we don't know a soul who still subscribes to AAA! Speaking of AAA, before the Internet, Google and MapQuest, I used to love the AAA "tripticks" that they used to prepare for you when you were going on a road trip!

Barbara101

Barbara101

I have state farm ,towing is free.Never used it. Windshield repair .never needed it.However when I had my moms Lincoln windshield cracked ,Not covered $300.I had no idea it was not covered.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:I have state farm ,towing is free.Never used it. Windshield repair .never needed it.However when I had my moms Lincoln windshield cracked ,Not covered $300.I had no idea it was not covered.
We have State Farm, too, B. I think windshield repair skirts the deductible but I don't think towing does. Or does it?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum