Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

CHOP SUEY

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1CHOP SUEY  Empty CHOP SUEY Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:34 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

just wondering.. what is CHOP SUEY? Question 

2CHOP SUEY  Empty Re: CHOP SUEY Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:41 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, when I was a child my mother made Chop Suey - usually some chicken cut and lightly cooked and then a can of LaChoy Chop Suey vegetables were added. She thickened the juices with a cornstarch slury and then served it over white Minute rice and we added soy sauce at the table. Once in a while we'd get to share a can of the LaChoy noodles to sprinkle over the top for some crunch/texture. It wasn't very good ~ actually, it was awful. But it was our childhood introduction to "Chinese" food.

There is another version of American Chop Suey that is served on the East coast, New England states, that I've heard about but never had. I think it's what I would have called Johnny Marzetti....a tomato based ground beef mixture added to cooked elbow macaroni. We were served that casserole a lot when we were in school.

3CHOP SUEY  Empty Re: CHOP SUEY Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:34 am

NormM

NormM

Chop Suey is almost any kind of meat chopped into small pieces and cooked with vegetables, usually bean sprouts, celery, cabbage and thickened with some kind of broth and cornstarch, then served over rice.  It may have been invented by Chinese railroad workers in the US or by some Chinese cook in the US who was using leftovers. When it is served over crunchy Chinese noodles it's called Chow Mein.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

4CHOP SUEY  Empty Re: CHOP SUEY Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:42 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

thank you Beth and Norm.. I thought it's the same with bean sprouts Shocked .. now I know.. I read it in my friend's page, it means mixed vegetables.. any kind of veggies, lightly stir fried with oil and thickened with cornstarch..it's so popular in Chinese cuisines.. actually I have the recipe in my blog.. and I did not know it calls Chop suey Laughing 

5CHOP SUEY  Empty Re: CHOP SUEY Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:09 pm

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:Imelda, when I was a child my mother made Chop Suey - usually some chicken cut and lightly cooked and then a can of LaChoy Chop Suey vegetables were added.  She thickened the juices with a cornstarch slury and then served it over white Minute rice and we added soy sauce at the table.  Once in a while we'd get to share a can of the LaChoy noodles to sprinkle over the top for some crunch/texture.  It wasn't very good ~ actually, it was awful.  But it was our childhood introduction to "Chinese" food.

There is another version of American Chop Suey that is served on the East coast, New England states, that I've heard about but never had.  I think it's what I would have called Johnny Marzetti....a tomato based ground beef mixture added to cooked elbow macaroni.  We were served that casserole a lot when we were in school.
Funny you should bring up chop suey. I used to make it with the canned LaChoy veggies, a deep brown sauce, usually chicken, water chestnut, and served over white rice. My daughter used to eat just about everything except she hated chop suey. I was going to make some and think about her as we ate it.

6CHOP SUEY  Empty Re: CHOP SUEY Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:Funny you should bring up chop suey.  I used to make it with the canned LaChoy veggies, a deep brown sauce, usually chicken, water chestnut, and served over white rice.  My daughter used to eat just about everything except she hated chop suey.  I was going to make some and think about her as we ate it.
Yes, those memories are precious....when my girls were young we called anything that was stir fried, "sukiyaki", not because it at all resembled the actual Asian dish but because from a very early age both my girls loved to say the word.....

(been thinking of you, Judy, how are you doing?)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum