Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shaving meat

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Shaving meat Empty Shaving meat Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I love my deli meat shaved. Is there any way to shave meat at home without a meat slicer? Do you think a mandoline or something similar would work?

2Shaving meat Empty Re: Shaving meat Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Nope - best I would suggest is to continue to go to the deli.....

I think with a mandolin or even a really sharp knife you would end up hurting yourself ~ and getting really, REALLY frustrated.

3Shaving meat Empty Re: Shaving meat Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

What I want to do is shave my tri tip roasts for sandwiches. You might not know what they are because you can't get them in some parts of the country. They are generally a bit chewy, so the thinner the cut, the better. Unfortunately it is against the law to try and have your grocery store shave a cooked piece of meat that you have brought in - at least that is how it is out here.

4Shaving meat Empty Re: Shaving meat Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've tried to do the same thing you want to do....I tried that with eye of the round roast, cooked rare ~ and I wanted to "deli slice" it for rare roast beef sandwiches.  I tried slicing with a really sharp knife, partially freezing and slicing with a sharp knife....no matter what I did gave me the wafer-thin beef I wanted.

Fortunately for me, the lady who owned the deli down at the end of the street wasn't as strict about that silly law (it IS the same health dept. rule in Ohio as well) ~ Marcia ended up slicing my roast and I ended up giving her some for her and her husband.

So, best thing to do is find a smaller grocery or carry-out that has a good slicer and make friends.

Heck, if you mail it to Jimmy he'd probably do it and only charge you the parts he ate as he sliced!

LOL

5Shaving meat Empty Re: Shaving meat Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:49 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I've tried to do the same thing you want to do....I tried that with eye of the round roast, cooked rare ~ and I wanted to "deli slice" it for rare roast beef sandwiches.  I tried slicing with a really sharp knife, partially freezing and slicing with a sharp knife....no matter what I did gave me the wafer-thin beef I wanted.

Fortunately for me, the lady who owned the deli down at the end of the street wasn't as strict about that silly law (it IS the same health dept. rule in Ohio as well) ~ Marcia ended up slicing my roast and I ended up giving her some for her and her husband.

So, best thing to do is find a smaller grocery or carry-out that has a good slicer and make friends.

Heck, if you mail it to Jimmy he'd probably do it and only charge you the parts he ate as he sliced!

LOL
hahahahahaha...oh you're funny Beth. But so right!
I have a meat slicer...A medium one made in Italy, and its ok for home use.

I had a heck of a time shaving the eye round the other day; because it was too warm. I had no time to chill the beef which I cooked to medium rare.
It was perfect, but it was dragging on the side guide because it was too wet with blood and juice. If it were medium well, it would have been no problem because the meat would have been firmer.

I have an older Hobart ( made in OHIO ) machine in the garage with a 11 inch blade.
That one shaves great, but it weighs like 80# pounds.

6Shaving meat Empty Re: Shaving meat Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:01 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I actually have an old Chef's Choice slicer but it has the serrated blade and you really need the smooth blade to shave meat. They no longer make the blade for my unit, I have looked online and Ebay to no avail. There are a couple of places that say you can get them but when you place an order you get an email saying that the item is no longer available. I hate out of date websites.

7Shaving meat Empty Re: Shaving meat Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I actually have an old Chef's Choice slicer but it has the serrated blade and you really need the smooth blade to shave meat. They no longer make the blade for my unit, I have looked online and Ebay to no avail. There are a couple of places that say you can get them but when you place an order you get an email saying that the item is no longer available. I hate out of date websites.
I bought the both kids one of those from that mail order house in the Mid West (I cant think of the name now ), and they cost like 55.00.
They came with the serrated blade. The plain edge blade was an option that was offered only AFTER the base unit was purchased.

They use it, and have no problems. The only thing is they are smaller in size, and the meat has to be cut to fit in the carriage tray on the slicer.

Oooooo! Just remembered the name of the company.. "Heartland America"... They send catalogs to Tina all the time. It's like me getting "Harbor Freight" tool catalogs.

8Shaving meat Empty Re: Shaving meat Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Very interesting site Jimmy. I love to shop places like this one. You never know what treasure you will find.

9Shaving meat Empty Re: Shaving meat Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Very interesting site Jimmy. I love to shop places like this one. You never know what treasure you will find.
hahahahaha.... Yep! ..I love Dr. Leonards catalogs, and Harriet Carters catalog.

I read Dr. Leonards and figure what to buy for me and Tina.

I like the easy reach shoe horn, and Tina bought me one.

The toe cushions and anti cellulite cream is a winner.

They even have those neat foot scrubbers with the toe brushes.
Tina said,"I don't want that ***t stuck to my tub!"Laughing 

The mail man must hate us, because we must get like 10 of those catalogs every day. Blair / woman within / Spencer Gifts / Figi's / Pennzys Spices /
I think tina gets them all.

10Shaving meat Empty Re: Shaving meat Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Here ya go Bugster2.... this will shave your meat!
It'll shave my face too for the price $$$....

Watch the video...it's cool.

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/berkel/330m/p358724.aspx

11Shaving meat Empty Re: Shaving meat Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:06 am

NormM

NormM

What a deal only 9,200 marked down from 17,700! Is that dollars?

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

12Shaving meat Empty Re: Shaving meat Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:46 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:What a deal only 9,200 marked down from 17,700!  Is that dollars?

Looked like dollars to me. Darn, they probably got no bites for a long time; and that's why they lowered the price so much.
I watched a food network show that had a show about those machines, and the guy was cutting steaks, and he actually cut his finger on the blade.

I don't know...maybe it was on that modern marvels history channel.
I forget.

hahahaha...$7.79 for a salami sub, and a half hour labor to clean the machine and sanitize it!

13Shaving meat Empty Re: Shaving meat Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:52 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

My wife asked me to pull out the slicer to slice the turkey one thanksgiving.
I told her, yeah sure, if you de-bone the bird.
That would be a disaster.

14Shaving meat Empty Re: Shaving meat Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:25 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

This is my slicer. I came across this when I was looking for a blade for it. Look at the price. I hope it is an error.

http://www.amazon.com/ChefsChoice-Folding-Electric-Food-Slicer/dp/B00004WGSN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382073829&sr=8-1&keywords=chef%27s+choice+650

15Shaving meat Empty Re: Shaving meat Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:14 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

$94,964.00 affraid affraid I am thinking that has to be huge typo..

Shaving meat 652761166 

16Shaving meat Empty Re: Shaving meat Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:53 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster, did you contact the company that makes the slicer?
I remember my son Jimmy's slicer plastic part that holds the blade on broke. I wrote them a e-mail and they called me, and sent the part out to me free. There was something with the instruction book that didn't explain that the plastic part had a left hand thread, and should be turned Counter Clockwise to unfasten the blade for cleaning.

From what prices I had seen on the "650" slicer, they were around 400.00 . That'$ not cheap! .....

The woman was very nice I spoke with.

EdgeCraft Corporation
825 Southwood Road
Avondale, PA 19311-9727
800-342-3255

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum