Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

here I go again

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Barbara101
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1here I go again Empty here I go again Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:37 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

looking at ranges.here I go again 2855670339 

I really do not need,just want.
After all I am not doing that much big cooking.Like I used to.
I would like Not a black top,that is not going to happen.
Not fan at all with self cleaning.

Lots of sales right now.

Oh my...here I go again 2855670339 

2here I go again Empty Re: here I go again Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:49 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, have fun with that, Barb. Be sure to take all sale ads with you when you decide where you want to purchase from - they will all "match" pricing to get your sale!

Remember when I thought I wanted a dual fuel range ($2,500 approx.) and ended up purchasing a wonderful gas range on sale on "Black Friday" for right around $400? Man, I love that range....the oven not so much, but most of my cooking is done rangetop so the oven is less important to me.

I think stoves are like houses.....you'll know "it" when you see it and you'll fall in love at first sight.

Have fun looking!

3here I go again Empty Re: here I go again Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We have Natural gas here for cooking. One mistake we made on stove # 2, was a Tappan Range that had the gray grates inserts. The first week, they turned brown on areas. Then....about 3 months later, the cooktop crazed. Like cracks all over, and chipping. They sent a new top, and with 4 new grates. Sent the old ones back to the store we bought it from, and told them to deal with packing and shipping it back.

Stove #3...after that one was a Roper. The guy in the store said they have the sealed burners and everytime you need a burner electrode (sparker)...you have to call the service man to take the burner out. Tina looked at me, and I looked at her....and we both laughed. I said...BUY IT if you LIKE IT!!!
We did, and about 8 months later, the sparker broke.

The special tool to remove the burner (which is just twisted in place ) was one of those Rubbermaid Jar Openers. hahahahahahahahaha.

The ignitor cost $7.00 at sears parts central. Simple!

4here I go again Empty Re: here I go again Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:52 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

I had to laugh, as it may be simple for you, Jimmy, but it would be a real PITA for most of us!

I don't know how much longer our stove (gas) will hold on, so I look at stoves with ovens all the time in the ads. I saw one the other day that had a double oven and I thought, "Ooh, that's for me!" I'd be limited by the space I have as it's only big enough for a conventional range/oven and not the newer, wider ones. But the one with the double oven had five burners, too (oooh, I thought)!

Hopefully, it will hold on a lot longer, unlike most of the appliances in this house!

5here I go again Empty Re: here I go again Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:45 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I looked at those double oven ranges, as well. I thought how convenient that smaller oven would be with just the two of us.....but then I tried to get a roasting pan in and out of the lower oven. OMG, it's practically on the floor! And if I had an 18# turkey or a huge beef rib roast to heft out, well, I just couldn't justify the additional $$, which was substantial.

The one thing I really did like on the gas range I bought was having the grates all at the same level so pans could be moved or placed anywhere on the stovetop and not tipping off the burner grid because it was higher than the porcelain top. I could slide pots and skillets from one place to another.

here I go again 11-11-11c

My previous PITA Maytag gas stove (that I disliked from day one) didn't have different size "eyes" ~ I loved the heat variety I got with the different size burners.

Now that I have to have all electric I would love, love, LOVE to get an induction range, but before I think of investing that kind of $$ in a range I would have to find someone who had one who would discuss the pros/cons and let me cook on it. The idea of spending $1,800 - $2,500 on an appliance is crazy to me....my gas stove in Ohio (that I love cooking on) was only about $400.

6here I go again Empty Re: here I go again Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:12 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I have to have electric.No gas lines.

I looked at 5 burners, do I need a warming burner?Not really.

some have big burners in the front only,so if you have a small pot going on the back you have to lean over the big hot pots at the front.

some have expanded ,,I have one ,front right side.
large at the back left,small right side back.
I also have a slide in,so I can put really really big pots on the back burners.A freestand has the shelf & the knobs.The same pot does not fit on my DD range.My knobs are on the front.

DD has 5 shelf levels in her oven,a very large window.My cookie sheets fit great in her oven,they do not fit in mine Twisted Evil I have to push them over the rim of the oven shelf PIA.Oh & I have to put them in sideways not straight in.
My oven light switch is broke.If I put the bulb in it will not shut off.so I have no light PIA PIA>>>
I hate hate hate the pot drawer,it is nice & big however it will NOT stay on its tracks,Plus it has no Handle to pull it out with.
A double oven has no pot drawer,that is out for me. I need one.

DD range has a big rim around the top,don't like it one bit.It is for boil overs staying on the top & not going down the range sides.

I saw some ovens that had differant size oven shelf levels,that was a good idea,I think lol. I also liked the hidden bake heater thing.Samsung.

DD range is Kenmore.Doubt I will go there.

Convection ? Don't want.

so I am back to knobs on the back freestanding.Knobs on the front slide in(oh & BTW my slide in does NOT fit the space I have a huge gap at the back wall & one side does not sit on the counter,even tho the range is level.I hate both of those issues.

Price too. Do I want to buy a range over $700 for a rental..?? I really want to move but how I would do that is beyond me.

I just want a new range it is not a need .This one actually works fine.
I do like to stir fry & would be nice to have a hot burner for that.

here I go again 2855670339 

7here I go again Empty Re: here I go again Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My sister has a range to die for: a 48" dual fuel Wolf with one of those French flat burners in the center. $15,000 that puppy cost. If i ever have the luxury of buying a new range, I will not want convection either. Hate it.
My BIL just put in a new kitchen with Viking appliances. They put in a gass cooktop and a set of double wall ovens. During the remodel he told me that the ovens were going out on the back porch. WHAT?? What are you thinking? Don't you and the wife cook? He actually got insulted and angry that i had the nerve to tell him that putting the ovens on the back porch was a BIG mistake. For resale, no one is going to want ovens on a back porch. He wouldn't listen to me because, after all, I AM a moron. Fortunately, for some reason the plans had to be changed and the ovens went in the kitchen. JEEZ!

8here I go again Empty Re: here I go again Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:I had to laugh, as it may be simple for you, Jimmy, but it would be a real PITA for most of us!  

I don't know how much longer our stove (gas) will hold on, so I look at stoves with ovens all the time in the ads.  I saw one the other day that had a double oven and I thought, "Ooh, that's for me!"  I'd be limited by the space I have as it's only big enough for a conventional range/oven and not the newer, wider ones.  But the one with the double oven had five burners, too (oooh, I thought)!  

Hopefully, it will hold on a lot longer, unlike most of the appliances in this house!  
Actually...it is simple. It's just like opening a jar of bottled spaghetti sauce, and the ignitor ( sparker ) is attached with one screw. Easy to change.

9here I go again Empty Re: here I go again Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:01 pm

NormM

NormM

I had an oven with convection at my previous house. I used it a couple of times and was not impressed with the results.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

10here I go again Empty Re: here I go again Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:My sister has a range to die for: a 48" dual fuel Wolf with one of those French flat burners in the center. $15,000 that puppy cost. If i ever have the luxury of buying a new range, I will not want convection either. Hate it.
My BIL just put in a new kitchen with Viking appliances. They put in a gass cooktop and a set of double wall ovens. During the remodel he told me that the ovens were going out on the back porch. WHAT?? What are you thinking? Don't you and the wife cook? He actually got insulted and angry that i had the nerve to tell him that putting the ovens on the back porch was a BIG mistake. For resale, no one is going to want ovens on a back porch. He wouldn't listen to me because, after all, I AM a moron. Fortunately, for some reason the plans had to be changed and the ovens went in the kitchen. JEEZ!
Now, wait a minute....IF I had my 'druthers I'd have a regular kitchen BUT then I'd have a summer kitchen outside complete with an oven......and a gas grill and a wood fired pizza oven and a charcoal grill and an ice maker and a refrigerator and a couple dishwasher drawers......oh, and a few "Cabana Boys" to bring me those cocktails with the little umbrellas.

LOL ~ ain't gonna happen in MY lifetime, that's for sure.

11here I go again Empty Re: here I go again Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Have to laugh!... My Aunts husband built a Hot Dog Hut in the back yard. They had one of those wiener rollers electric that they have at concession stands. The darn place was small, but she decorated the inside with 60's stuff.

It was like a Gazebo. Gee, I wonder where I saw one of those around here??? ... Tina's Tent! That's it! LOL
Would you believe, she was in that darn thing Once! Once! and that was it. I call it the Exercise Machine Tent.

12here I go again Empty Re: here I go again Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

So, go out to the lamp post and put up a sign, "Gazebo For Rent".....

lol! 

13here I go again Empty Re: here I go again Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:So, go out to the lamp post and put up a sign, "Gazebo For Rent".....

lol! 
I'm gonna lock her butt out of the house, and she'll have to go in her tent gazebo.
Maybe if I put her dish of pigs feet out there, she will get some use out of her tent.

14here I go again Empty Re: here I go again Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:40 pm

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:I looked at those double oven ranges, as well.  I thought how convenient that smaller oven would be with just the two of us.....but then I tried to get a roasting pan in and out of the lower oven.  OMG, it's practically on the floor!  And if I had an 18# turkey or a huge beef rib roast to heft out, well, I just couldn't justify the additional $$, which was substantial.

The one thing I really did like on the gas range I bought was having the grates all at the same level so pans could be moved or placed anywhere on the stovetop and not tipping off the burner grid because it was higher than the porcelain top. I could slide pots and skillets from one place to another.

here I go again 11-11-11c

My previous PITA Maytag gas stove (that I disliked from day one) didn't have different size "eyes" ~ I loved the heat variety I got with the different size burners.  

Now that I have to have all electric I would love, love, LOVE to get an induction range, but before I think of investing that kind of $$ in a range I would have to find someone who had one who would discuss the pros/cons and let me cook on it.  The idea of spending $1,800 - $2,500 on an appliance is crazy to me....my gas stove in Ohio (that I love cooking on) was only about $400.
Beth -- I had an induction cooktop at my other house. I loved it. Unfortunately when I remodeled the kitchen, they weren't selling them. A few years later they came back with a vengeance. Now, both places have gas and I'm so happy about that, but if I had to have an electric cooktop...it would definitely be induction. It's worth the extra money...especially if you enjoy cooking.

Last edited by JanaAZ on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : my comments were added into the wrong spot)

15here I go again Empty Re: here I go again Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:26 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Induction is out for me.I do not want convection cooking .I do not want a warming drawer.

16here I go again Empty Re: here I go again Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:16 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:For resale, no one is going to want ovens on a back porch. He wouldn't listen to me because, after all, I AM a moron. Fortunately, for some reason the plans had to be changed and the ovens went in the kitchen. JEEZ!
Yeah, that would've lowered his price substantially for resale, if he could even sell it. To put in a new oven or ovens, it would've taken a kitchen remodel for any buyer!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum