Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Provencal Flank Steak Marinate

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Provencal Flank Steak Marinate Empty Provencal Flank Steak Marinate Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:10 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I keep seeing Barb's grilled steaks and I'm getting more and more hungry for some beef on the grill for ME! But the price of a rib eye or strip steak or anything even closely resembling a single serve steak is priced so high I just cannot bring myself to purchasing one. But yesterday I found a nicely trimmed, thick cut top round steak, commonly referred to as a London Broil, that looked fresh. So, since it was on sale, I decided to get it.

The piece was just over 1.25 lb. for $6.15 - and it will easily make for two very generous meals for me. It would have easily been enough for 3 meals had it been a more tender cut, like a rib eye, but since the tissue is so dense I like to grill a bigger "chunk" so I can be sure to have it cooked no more than medium rare.

So, thinking ahead, I know I have to marinate the beef to help break it down a bit. I've found it best to make up the marinate and add it to the meat in a zip bag, allowing my freezer to help get the flavor to penetrate. I know I've listed this recipe before but I'm doing it again because I really like it so much. So, if you have it, ignore the duplication. If you don't, well, consider trying it.

Provencal Flank Steak
(adapted from Dream Dinners cookbook)

1 t. Minced Dried Onion (or substitute garlic)
1 t. Dried Rosemary, crushed
1/2 t. Chili Powder
1/2 t. Paprika
1/2 t. Black Pepper
1/2 c. Honey
3/4 c. Soy Sauce
1/4 c. Water
1/2 c. Red Wine

1 1/2 to 2 lb. Flank Steak

Mix all the ingredients and pour over flank steak in a zip loc bag. Marinate for 1 - 24 hours and grill over hot coals until med rare. Allow to rest 15 minutes. Cut thin on bias and serve.

I have found I can “stretch” this marinate to up to 3 good sized flank steaks (or London Broil – any thick beef will do) when I freeze them in zip bags. After thawing I find the marinate has done it’s job with the lesser amount.

2Provencal Flank Steak Marinate Empty Re: Provencal Flank Steak Marinate Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:18 pm

JanaAZ

I do the same thing. That way I don't have to defrost things and then take the time to marinade it. Works well.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum