Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thinking of our friends....

+5
cookingirl
Crybaby
Barbara101
NormM
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Thinking of our friends.... Empty Thinking of our friends.... Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just watched a weather report about the storm that's brewing in the gulf ~ they say it shouldn't affect New Orleans metro area too much but I'm still gonna send good thoughts that "Karen" doesn't turn into an ugly hurricane, Crybaby. You guys just stay safe, please.

I was thinking about Imelda today. I sure hope she's having a wonderful time visiting her mom and family and friends. I imagine she's getting her fill of childhood favorite meals prepared by her mom, but I'm also thinking her husband is about ready to have her home.....

Anyone hear from Norm lately? He seems to be mia.....hope all is OK in his part of the country.

And it would be nice if our Boston buddy would say "hi" once in a while. I know she's been busy but we need to hear from our Cookingirl and know she and Artie are doin' OK.....

2Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:17 am

NormM

NormM

I'm here. I just haven't had anything interesting going on to tell you all.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:02 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, that's ok, Norm. Thanks for checking in ~

4Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:01 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Norm you are always interesting..Thinking of our friends.... 3561122519 

5Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Thanks, Beth.  A dry "cool" front is heading toward us from the north and there's also some easterly winds pushing it closer to the East so we're hoping we don't even tropical storm winds.  Of course, Brian and I DREAD picking up all the potted plants, smokers and grill (we have no outdoor storage and no garage so we wedge the plants in our side alley really tight, and tie down the larger stuff) so we're waiting to the last minute to see if we really have to do it.

I'm smiling now thinking about the time we had to do all that in the rain cause we waited so long for storm to turn.  Brian was whining big time, constantly saying that the wind won't be able to pick up whatever I wanted to move.  We were grousing at one another big time when we heard our neighbors' voices below (we were on our balcony).  They, too, were out in the rain along with their grown son who was about 24 at the time.  The "kid" sounded just like Brian, saying, "The wind will never pick that up.  Let's just leave it right here."  They were also arguing and grousing at one another, which we all laughed about.  Brian was taking up for the kid later until I reminded him that the kid didn't own that house and could give a darn about projectiles damaging their property and paying a hefty hurricane deductible in the process.  He wizened up pretty well after I slung that last barb at him!

I hope Karen gives Florida a break this year -- they've had so much rain that I doubt they need anymore!

6Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:52 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

"""And it would be nice if our Boston buddy would say "hi" once in a while.  I know she's been busy but we need to hear from our Cookingirl and know she and Artie are doin' OK.....[/quote]"""

I am still here. I have been lurking everyday. I have not been posting, nor cooking much, because of lots of shoulder and work issues. I did not want to be a downer!
I have been told that I need shoulder surgery! and work is not helpful at all. It was an injury caused at work and it seems like they do not want me there any more..
I am going to try one more cortisone injection (it would be my 4th one withing a year, in that shoulder) and perhaps some physical therapy. This is what the doc suggested because I am so reluctant for surgery. I have had pain most days, esp at work. long story....they do not care..
I am still on workmans comp and can only work 4 days a week instead of 5..I take Wednesdays off to rest my shoulder..it really does need it..so I have had a lot on my mind--and a lot of docs appointments, MRI's, etc....

But, this past Sunday, I decided to roast a chicken! First time in a year and a half!
I got a 3 lb-er-perfect for me.
I stuffed it will some celery, sliced apple, onion, and orange. Placed it on a rack with the rest of the ingredients surrounding it. Rubbed the top with butter, sprinkled on a lot of Penzey's herb de provence, squeezed the rest of the orange over it. I added some s+p, and poured a bit of chicken broth in the pan. Roasted at 425 for about 30 min and the rest of the time at 350..(my oven stinks) (what can you do for an apartment! lol)
It was soo good! I roasted a sweet potato with it. Nuked some broccoli in the microwave.
The pan juices were so tasty that I did not even make a gravy. I just used as is..
I have not cooked in a long time. oh, just some steak and stir fries...
It felt good to know that I have not lost my touch! Laughing 

Artie is doing really good! However, he had a very stressful week. Monday morning, before I left for work, I could not find him anywhere-he usually follows me around and watches me. I remember I got my scrubs out of my closet, (Artie loves closets). I did not see him in there. I was concerned. I even left the house, walked over to the elevator and came back to search for him. I still could not find him! I called his name all over. Looked under bed, furniture, closets, corners--still no ARtie.. I had to leave for work.
When I came home, I called his name--I heard I "MEOOOW!, MEUGHHGHH!" I thought he was in my dryer--checked it out--no!
I heard him yelling again--I looked in my storeroom, He was there!! I got some water out of there earlier-he must have sneaked in! Boy was he mad!Twisted Evil 
I have a 'granny' shopping cart in there and a min-flat bed. Both are up against the wall. He knocked them both over! thank goodness he did not get hurt! What a Face 
ARtie was locked in the closet for 11 hours! Sad 
He is such a good boy--no pee or poop at all..
Boy did I get an earful from him!! It went on for a couple of hours--yelling at me, telling me off Evil or Very Mad 
Then on Sunday, I vacuumed, he ran away. I store my vacuum in another spare closet--guess what! yup! I left the door open, vacuumed, must have kept the door open, and he ran in there and hid!! Poor ARtie was locked in there for 3 hours!!  crazy cat..
He is really vocal and boy did I get He@@!!!

I keep up with stuff on here.
My next issue is a new computer and printer.. my desktop and laptop have not been updated since I bought them. They are so outdated, that I cannot print anything!! and my printer ink cartridges cost me $30 for a refill!!
I love my Mac's--gotta go check out the new laptop and wireless printer this weekend...ugh more money!!!!!
it never ends..
Beth, Barb, Jimmy, Norm and everyone else are still like family to me!! Thinking of our friends.... 3561122519 
cyn  aka cookingirl

7Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks for the update!

I wish I could come up with some uplifting crap to say so you could feel better.....best I got is, "I hope this gets better real soon for you".

I'm just glad you have Artie to keep you on the straight & narrow.

8Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:07 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Luckily for us, Hurricane Karen was a shoo-shoo.  We got a little bit of rain yesterday but most of the day it was sunny.  Today was absolute gorgeous, though it got windy toward the end of the day.  By about 8 a.m., the cool front had moved in -- very windy but low humidity and just beautiful.  Brian and I sat on the balcony upstairs for a while before we got into bed.  

We were sooooo glad we didn't "pick up" the yard for the storm.  It's a lot of work and then, of course, you have to do it again to get all the stuff back where it belongs.  

Sorry about your injury, cookingirl.  Glad you felt up to baking that chicken! And loved hearing about Artie -- I love vocal cats!

9Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:31 am

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

Poor Artie!!! When our Vincent would get shut in the closet, he never made a peep until I opened the door and he just greeted me with a "meowp". How did I know he was in there? He would stick his paw out from under the doors so I could see him. He was such a nut. Hope your shoulder gets better and your work gets some compassion.

10Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:47 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Speaking of our friends....

I know LisaSD checks in regularly, just keeps in touch that way and makes a comment once in a while, but is very busy with her new job(s)......so, "Hi, Lisa"!

But Stephen, jetfan, hasn't stopped by in months. I think I'll drop him a line via pm or email, however method might work.

Jimmy, how is Evelyn doing? Haven't heard from her and hoping her treatment is going well.....

Muzicgirl stops occasionally....maybe she'll say "hello" one of these days, same for Ceee.

Just wanted everyone to know we're still thinking of you but realize everyone's lives are busy and hectic. Would love to hear from any of you.

Speaking of jetfan.....how I wish I had saved a link to his braided egg bread from the old c.c site. I wonder if a link would still work? hmmmmmm - anyone have ANY link in an old email maybe? Just thinkin' out loud here.

11Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:51 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I can find that bread recipe for you.he had a lot going on. I think he is trying to sell his house & wants to move to ca.

12Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:24 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, I've GOT the bread recipe....I just wondered what would happen if someone had a link to where he had posted the pics of the braiding. I had sent it to my daughter but, unfortunately, after we learned how to do his 8-braid (and it was not difficult) she deleted the email I sent her with the link.

I was just wondering what would happen if you had an old link, like, just maybe, it would take you back to an internet miracle to the old site.....

There was SO much great information there. It seems such a shame we can no longer access it.....

I know, "Beth ~ STOP WHINING !"

13Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Daughter Andrea just emailed me with a site that could possibly work....

Does anyone have the link to the old cooking.com forum? Seems like it was cooking.com/forums...but I'm not sure.

anyway ~ the site she suggested was:

web.archive.org/

14Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:53 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I just spent a long time going over every thread he posted & I KNOW that one was there. That is how I learned to do it.It was not there. he also was mad about the site re moving his pics.

I know I had or have it.confused 

15Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm sure it was on the cooking.com forum site.....not on Rich's/Ken's

I've been trying to find ANY link, thinking IF it's on the internet it's on to stay.....

but no luck on my searches yet.

16Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:31 am

LisaSD

LisaSD

I'm here! I catch up with y'all when I can. Working the estate sale biz (AND Sur La Table 3 days a week). Gotta tell Sur to cut back to 1 day. Can't do both and don't need to...just love being around that cooking stuff! The discount is nice too!

17Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:43 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Every time I see a Sur La Table ad these days I think of you, Lisa.

I just imagine you greeting customers and when they mention what they are looking for I can "hear" you saying, "Ohhhh, YES, we have that! This is SO COOL ~ Please, let me show you more!"

lol

18Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:44 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I'm sure it was on the cooking.com forum site.....not on Rich's/Ken's

I've been trying to find ANY link, thinking IF it's on the internet it's on to stay.....

but no luck on my searches yet.
Check with Norm Beth! He may have it; because he was trying to master the braid too. If my memory serves me correctly???

19Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:05 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I had it but it is on the pc that crashed & it got cleaned out.I do have the pics of the bread I made.

20Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:22 am

NormM

NormM

I don't have it. There is how to braid challah on utube but it is different than Jetfan's method.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

21Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:26 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks everyone....but I don't knead (that's a pun....) to know how to make Jetfan's braided bread, I just wondered if anyone had the LINK to where he posted it in the old cooking.com forum site. I was trying to find a back-door entry into the old forum because I've heard even when you delete something from the internet it's still there.....

22Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:37 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

he told me about Taste of Home forum. I joined.He posted it there,I saw it. Then it went poof.Not there anymore. I looked.

23Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:52 am

jetfan27

jetfan27

Hi Beth and everyone. I'm so sorry I haven't been on lately. I haven't been doing much baking lately, except at work. They have been cutting hours because we are not doing as good a business as last year. What a bunch of crap! Wait until the new Publix opens up near us. I'll probably be out of a job. I just got my wife a job as cashier at The Fresh Market, too. My Mom is doing very well, (thanks for asking, Beth) and we are going up for an early Thanksgiving at the end of October. It will be an unpaid holiday for both of us. We are going to try to sell our house ourselves. The real estate people haven't done S**T and we could use the 6% that we have to give them. All in all, it's been pretty dismal, but we're hanging in there and making the best out of it. I hope everyone is doing well and I promise I'll try to get on more. I miss all you guys a lot. All the best, Stephan

24Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:00 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Thinking of our friends.... 3561122519 Thinking of our friends.... 3561122519 

Publix bakery sucks.No real sourdough.Pies are really really bad.Pizza dough Thinking of our friends.... 411572088 

I used to buy breakfast bread but for over $5 they can have it.
Your ears must have been burning we have been talking about you..

post when you can..I love you 

25Thinking of our friends.... Empty Re: Thinking of our friends.... Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:20 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

Thanks Barb. The Fresh Market has the best sourdough in our area. It is realchewy . I bake it every friggin' morning. Tryit if there is one by you.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum