Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Watched my cooking shows

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Watched my cooking shows Empty Watched my cooking shows Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:58 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

on Saturday.ALL day.Laughing 

So on ATK or CooksC, they did a test taste on Butter.Said that foil wrapped butter Pugla (sp) was the best they tasted.Second was Land Of Lakes in the new wrappers. Also they said to keep butter in the freezer for freshness ,wrapped.Take out what you need & use it frozen.HUH??.

I have left butter on my counter for days..I put the whole lb in the butter keeper.I am not about to use frozen butter. Besides I use soft butter to bake with.

2Watched my cooking shows Empty Re: Watched my cooking shows Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:03 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I use frozen butter for anything I want to make where I would normally cut in with a pastry blender like biscuits and pie crust.

I can grate the frozen stick of butter quickly and easily with a box grater over the flour and then just toss to coat - by the time you're ready to advance with the recipe the butter is soft enough to be super easy to blend with the rest of the ingredients.

But for every day use, like you, I leave my butter in a covered butter dish on my countertop 24/7 - I do, however, use salted butter. The unsalted has turned rancid on me in the summer when it sat out too many days. The salt in the butter acts as a preservative and, IMO, tastes better to me on most things.

3Watched my cooking shows Empty Re: Watched my cooking shows Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:18 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

good tips.I may try that.I buy both too.That European butter is over $10@lb.I bought it once.lol

4Watched my cooking shows Empty Re: Watched my cooking shows Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:30 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

The Plugra brand at WinnDixie was $3.69 for an 8 oz. wrapped in foil....$7.38/lb as compared to the WinnDixie brand on sale this week for $1.88/lb. (I bought 4 lbs. to stock up)

I don't need the Plugra or KerryGold or any of the other imported brands. IF the Land 'o Lakes is on sale I'll buy it. But for the most part I go with store brand salted butter.

5Watched my cooking shows Empty Re: Watched my cooking shows Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:37 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

winn dixie went belly up here.I shopped in one yrs ago & it smelled like rotten meat when you walked in. Shocked 

6Watched my cooking shows Empty Re: Watched my cooking shows Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:57 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

The Winn Dixie near me is the best for fresh, never frozen fish - only store that regularly stocks head-on shrimp. They are like most of the stores in The Villages and do not carry any produce or fruit that I was use to seeing in Ohio - and the prices of most meat is really a lot more expensive than in Ohio. And it doesn't make any sense to me considering how many cattle farms there are in the state.

But, I guess you just have to deal with what you have. When I want to stock up on beef, chicken and pork I go to the local Sam's Club with Lyn. I may have to buy in bulk and cut & repackage but at least the same quality meat I was use to in Ohio is available there.

7Watched my cooking shows Empty Re: Watched my cooking shows Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:38 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

I have a lb. of Kerry Gold in the fridge and haven't tried it in baking yet. I like their tub butter for toast, etc. and it does have a richer, fresher taste than LOL. Walmart carries it in their dairy dept. and it's much cheaper than elsewhere. One of the few things I go to Walmart for, they have lousy meat and produce IMO. I didn't think the Plugra is anything to write home about but I'm waiting to bake with the Kerry Gold until I have something where the butteriness will shine through.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum