Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Biscuits and Gravy

+5
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
JanaAZ
bethk
thesweetestpea
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Biscuits and Gravy Empty Biscuits and Gravy Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:00 am

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

On Wednesday, Larry made home made biscuits (well sort of) called 7-up biscuits. Basically, you melt half stick of butter in 9-inch square pan and then mix together 2 cups Bisquick (we used Pioneer brand), 1/2 cup of sour cream until crumbs form and then add 1/2 cup of regular 7-up and stir together to make a stiff dough. You then roll them out using about another 1/2 cup of Bisquick and then cut them into 12 biscuits and bake. He made gravy using the browned and frozen sausage we put up 2 weeks ago and it is a real time saver. I'm going to pick up 5 lbs. and we'll brown it and pack in 1 lb. packages. We get 2 1/2 breakfasts out of a lb.

Tonight I made a box of King Arthur Gingerbread mix that I picked up this spring for 1/2 price and used 1/2 cup melted butter instead of oil and added an extra egg and some more spices. I then made a streusel topping for it and baked it. Very, very good. We haven't had ginger bread for a long time.

2Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:15 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've had a 7-Up Cake before - kind of a coconut cake as I remember.

I've never heard of biscuits using the soda....interesting.

3Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:00 pm

JanaAZ

Sounds delish!!!

4Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Okay! As Beth would say...... Drum Roll....bounce................................"Jimmy Is Going to Cook CHICKEN Tomorrow...on the grill.
Yep! Tina was wishing for drumsticks grilled with honey ketchup sauce.
I just finished making potato and macaroni salad.

Tina went to a Tricky Tray up at the Independence Firehouse and will meet DIL and DIL's mother there.

Tina made Caramel Apple Biscotti with craisins and nuts today. It's a Dunkin Box mix. Too sweet for me, but nice texture. Way too much cinnamon in the mix as much as that it overpowers the caramel taste.

I won't eat them again, but if others like them, then That's a good thing. I only like anisette or vanilla flavored biscotti.

Supper today will be whatever we find later. For Breakfast, Tina made fried scrambled eggs and cheese; with diced fried ham. Was good!  

5Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Well, I fnally made biscuits and sausage gravy! Like I predicted, Brian was gaga over them. My sausage gravy came out fine even though I would've liked to have parsley to put over it but I was totally out of it.

I still have some parsley in the garden but the leaves are yellow. I just plan on cutting them back a bit at a time to see if I can keep the plant growing a bit.

I was going to make homemade biscuits to go with the gravy but I remembered I had some just expired Grands in the fridge so I used those. I pretty much did what Beth said she did to make the gravy and it came out super. Thanks, B.

6Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:06 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

ok this leads me to this.I have a roll of grands, I don't buy that often so I forgot I even had it. After you open the can ,can you keep the un baked ones or do you have to bake them then maybe freeze the baked ones? I would only eat one..Then to re heat wonder if they would be good??

frozen grands,I used to buy them.baked one or 2 was fine.Not as good as homemade tho..

7Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:44 am

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

I have frozen leftover home made biscuits after they were baked, but not the Pillsbury kind as I rarely buy them. Usually get them for a recipe of some sort but rarely end up using them and they get tossed. Like you, they get pushed to the back and are lost. Trying freezing the cooked ones and see how it does, your just going to toss them otherwise. We do re-heat them for a few days after they are baked.

8Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:47 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm not fond of the reheated canned biscuits - but I agree with Pea, I'd try wrapping the raw dough individually and freezing for later baking.

9Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:51 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I remember my Mom making stews & putting chopped up 'blue can' on top lol.Totally fake dumplings.I think I bought these for grandson to make pizzas.

10Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:02 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

You could take the leftovers and poke a hole in the middle and form into a ring and fry to make into "donuts" to shake in cinnamon & sugar for the boys.....

Then they'd be used and you wouldn't have to deal with the leftovers.

I remember an apple "dumpling" dish where you flattened the canned biscuits out and wrapped them around apple chunks, put them in a baking dish and then covered the whole thing with Mountain Dew soda and baked. I never made it because it sounded disgusting to me....I'm NOT a soda fan. But I read the reviews and people said it was wonderful. I would think you could google Mountain Dew dumplings and find the recipe.....

11Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The regular biscuits and the ones in the triangle shape we use. The crescents for dinner, and the regular original ones for breakfast with eggs.
The Grands make us sick when all that grease hits the gullet. I put butter on them too. Ughhhhh!!

Tina makes Monkey Bread with the blue tube rolls too!

12Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:48 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

We had the leftover biscuits and sausage gravy for brunch today and they were still yummy -- but anything would be with sausage gravy.

13Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:28 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

All this talk of biscuits and gravy makes me want some. Think I will make some tomorrow. I can taste it now. YUM!

14Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:28 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday a.m. I cooked up an entire tube of Jimmy Dean and made a huge skillet of sausage gravy to freeze. Probably a big mistake as it will give me the excuse of eating it more often than I should. But, hey, I have most of the batch of biscuits I made packed away in the freezer ~ they have to be used with something!

LOL

15Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:22 pm

Niagara Visitor

I gotta tell you something. Now, I am sure that there are different types of biscuits, and different types of gravy. However, when hubby and I were in Florida last January, they were serving biscuits and gravy for breakfast at the KOA where we were. So, I said................ let's try them. I like biscuits, I like gravy. They were the most disgusting white slop that tasted like flour and water dumped over a biscuit.

16Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:I gotta tell you something.  Now, I am sure that there are different types of biscuits, and different types of gravy.  However, when hubby and I were in Florida last January, they were serving biscuits and gravy for breakfast at the KOA where we were.  So, I said................ let's try them.  I like biscuits, I like gravy.  They were the most disgusting white slop that tasted like flour and water dumped over a biscuit.
My Daughter made chicken and biscuits one time, and she cooked the chicken in a gravy, and then I watched her plop this bunch of dough by the 1/3 cup measure right on top...and I was No No No dolly, you have to bake them first and then put them on top. She said, NO Dad! This is the recipe my friend gave me. They are supposed to steam cook with the top on .

I could not eat them. They were sticky and like wet and spongy. Tasted like uncooked batter. I didn't like them cooked that way.

Tina made it, and she made biscuits and baked them in the oven, and THEN she placed them on top the chicken smootch.

17Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:13 pm

Niagara Visitor

I don't have any idea how they were made, but they were disgusting. Now, if you have some stew in a pot, take some biscuits in the tube, you know the ready made ones, pop them on top for about the last 20 minutes, you get great dumplings.

18Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:08 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Biscuits & sausage gravy & chicken & dumpling around here are two totally different things.

You make buttermilk scratch biscuits.You make white gravy.Then you fry up some sausage.add the sausage to the gravy then place that on top of biscuits.Heaven on a plate..Biscuits and Gravy 2599281016 

When I make dumplings for a dish ,I make them little clouds of greatness lol.They are light & fluffy & soft but cooked.You do place your dough wet on top then steam them.They steam in the gravy of your, lets say pot of chicken, with the lid on.I like them fluffy. My mom rolled them out flat ,I don't like them like noodles.

Sorry you have that mess Niagra.That is not true biscuits & gravy.

19Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:48 am

Niagara Visitor

Isn't the white "gravy" basically a bechamel sauce?

20Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:14 am

NormM

NormM

If you top your chicken with biscuits and bake it, you have chicken pot pie. If you make your biscuits wet, top the chicken and gravy with them, cover and steam for 15 minutes (don't take off the cover!) you have drop dumplings... what I made yesterday. I prefer them over noodle dumplings which aren't nearly as good in my opinion.  

White breakfast gravy is made with milk, butter and flour. Browned crumbled sausage is served with it. It's a Southern thing. White dinner gravy is not the same thing and would not taste as good over a biscuit.

Actually when I make chicken and dumplings, I poach the chicken in chicken stock, remove it and let it cool.  Cook the dumplings in the broth and remove them, then make a gravy with the broth, cornstarch and cream then add  while cooking, I remove the bones and skin from the chicken, add back the meat to the gravy and add back the dumplings and heat through before serving

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

21Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:18 am

Niagara Visitor

Milk, butter and flour is called a bechamel or basic white sauce here, not gravy. Guess that's what confused me. Gravy is a brown meat based sauce.

22Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:21 am

NormM

NormM

Bechamel is the base for white gravy.  Technically it is a sauce until meat is added.  Sauce with meat is -in some circles- considered what makes it a gravy instead of a sauce. I actually add a little chicken Better Than Bouillon to my breakfast gravy.

23Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:26 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Actually when I make chicken and dumplings, I poach the chicken in chicken stock, remove it and let it cool.  Cook the dumplings in the broth and remove them, then make a gravy with the broth, cornstarch and cream then add  while cooking, I remove the bones and skin from the chicken, add back the meat to the gravy and add back the dumplings and heat through before serving

that is how I do it too.Gosh I may make it today instead of chicken Parm lol.cheers

It is still HOT here 80 plus today.I might turn on the air so i can get cool first lol

Last edited by Barbara101 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

24Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:26 am

NormM

NormM

I forgot to add that when i make poached chicken, after I remove the chicken and before I make the dumplings, i strain the broth and skim off the fat.

25Biscuits and Gravy Empty Re: Biscuits and Gravy Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:30 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

my 2 puppers will right under my feet & following me every step,they smell that chicken & think it is their food. lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum