Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Canning dried beans

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Canning dried beans Empty Canning dried beans Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:19 pm

JanaAZ

I love to can things and thought I'd try my hand at canning beans today. I've heard that they can be problematic but I want to master them. Wish me luck.

The good thing about trying this out is that a bag of beans is cheap so if I ruin a bag or two, it's not like ruining expensive ingredients.

I'll let you know how they work out.

2Canning dried beans Empty Re: Canning dried beans Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Once my beans are dried and in a plastic bag, I just put 'em in a jar and screw the lid on.....

Canning dried beans 2876911673 Canning dried beans 2876911673 

Oh, maybe you meant something different.......Question Question Question 

3Canning dried beans Empty Re: Canning dried beans Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:51 pm

JanaAZ

Yes, I did. I meant taking uncooked beans that are often found in a bag by the rice and cooking/canning them. It's like you open a can of kidney beans, for example, but they don't have all the chemicals in them as they do when you buy them already prepared in a can.

4Canning dried beans Empty Re: Canning dried beans Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew that.....

What would be nice is having the flavor in the beans YOU like (ie: homemade ham stock).

I usually just freeze any leftovers, especially of the mayacoba beans. But I'd be interested in knowing how it works out. Since it's more a savory food item are you going to pressure can them?

Boy, PeteFL would love this subject....

5Canning dried beans Empty Re: Canning dried beans Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:49 am

LisaSD

LisaSD

I tried again last week to see if there was an obit for PeteFL since we hadn't heard from him and still nothing...so I have hope that he is still among us. I might try an e-mail again to the last known one we had for him. I'll let you know Beth...

6Canning dried beans Empty Re: Canning dried beans Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:09 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

It would be wonderful to know he is well and to hear from him. Thanks, Lisa!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum