Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wednesday 5/8/13

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Wednesday 5/8/13 Empty Wednesday 5/8/13 Wed May 08, 2013 9:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Wednesday New Post:

Today was Dr's Day for both of us. Messed up the day for sure

Supper and Lunch was scrambled eat what you find.
I had three pierogies that were left over from what GD couldn't eat!

My BP is way too high ... 170 / 86. Doc wants me to lose some MORE weight. I told him it would be a snap; because I can now eat salads and peppers and grains and such that are lower calorie.
He increased my meds..so hoping that will help.
I feel oK and figured, hey! thats what keeps me going, so why worry about it. LOL
My motto is,"Leave Well enough Alone!"

Wednesday New Post:

Today was Dr's Day for both of us. Messed up the day for sure

Supper and Lunch was scrambled eat what you find.
I had three pierogies that were left over from what GD couldn't eat!

My BP is way too high ... 170 / 86. Doc wants me to lose some MORE weight. I told him it would be a snap; because I can now eat salads and peppers and grains and such that are lower calorie.
He increased my meds..so hoping that will help.
I feel oK and figured, hey! thats what keeps me going, so why worry about it. LOL
My motto is,"Leave Well enough Alone!"

GD is baking a cake, and Grandpa will taste it.

Oh! I forgot! Had a can of sardines in hot sauce for late lunch, and only one slice of bread. Great!!! IMO. GD is baking a cake, and Grandpa will taste it.

Oh! I forgot! Had a can of sardines in hot sauce for late lunch, and only one slice of bread. Great!!! IMO

2Wednesday 5/8/13 Empty Re: Wednesday 5/8/13 Wed May 08, 2013 9:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[b]I'm doing something wrong. I have to check out to stay with the what's for supper program. D A R N I T

3Wednesday 5/8/13 Empty Re: Wednesday 5/8/13 Wed May 08, 2013 10:14 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Jimmy this is just fine..you can post whatever you want in this thread.

I found out it is easier to post in the Quick reply.

4Wednesday 5/8/13 Empty Re: Wednesday 5/8/13 Wed May 08, 2013 10:23 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Jimmy my BP was high too.
158/78.

all I did was cut out SALT..and any food that had loads of sodium.
cheese,bacon,sausage,etc etc.
my Bp dropped like a rock.In just a week...122/68.

5Wednesday 5/8/13 Empty Re: Wednesday 5/8/13 Wed May 08, 2013 11:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Jimmy my BP was high too.
158/78.

all I did was cut out SALT..and any food that had loads of sodium.
cheese,bacon,sausage,etc etc.
my Bp dropped like a rock.In just a week...122/68.

I had been hitting the salt heavily lately too Barbara. The Easter Ham and kielbasi did me in.

My legs and ankles swelled up like balloons. I have to get back on that Mrs. Dash. We have bottles of it too!

BTW ... I was talking with a friend Evelyn ... she was a poster and member on the old c.com site by the name "eread" She is a severe diabetic and was inactive on the forum because of illness and the loss of her mother. God love her. Besides her Diabeties, she has stage 4 lung cancer and it has spread to the liver.

She asked me to say hello to everyone who may have remembered her, but she has no idea how c.com forum had melted away; etc.

She is doing well...she feels great, but has been losing her appetite a little. God Love Her! She is such a nice person. She is strong; gets around with her tray walker, and drives and shops.

I think probably the only ones that would remember her would be like Norm. He had been on that food forum a long time. So was a user / member Highlands.

Anyway....She told me that I should drink Green Tea. She Drinks that, and it removes a lot of excess fluid in the body. I have it, and will start a daily use. Only thing is, I have to add a little sugar and a drop or two of milk or cream. I shall see how it works out.

Right now, I am gathering the bottles of the Mrs. Dash. I only like the original.

The only salt for cooking we use is Sea Salt, or Kosher salt. They say the sea salt is the good for the heart salt???? silent

6Wednesday 5/8/13 Empty Re: Wednesday 5/8/13 Thu May 09, 2013 10:11 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy - Please tell Evelyn hello for me. I joined the cooking.com site about 1 month after it's inception, although I was just a lurker for so long. Those original members seemed to know SO much more than I, but after reading and learning and becoming comfortable with the members I started to venture into the "posting participant" area.

Can you imagine me, as you know me today, being too shy to post in a forum??? Hahahahaha

As to the Green Tea - just drink it. Doesn't make any difference if you add sugar or honey or a good shot of Jack Daniels to it....well, maybe the JD is a little off ~ but the sweetners really don't alter all the good it does. I'm sure you don't want to add too much because you're trying to keep down the calorie count, but it's better to be able to drink it and get it down. I find if I make a simple syrup (equal amounts of sugar & water heated until the sugar disolves) I use LESS because it combines so much easier than the granulated sugar does.

Just a thought.

7Wednesday 5/8/13 Empty Re: Wednesday 5/8/13 Thu May 09, 2013 12:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy - Please tell Evelyn hello for me. I joined the cooking.com site about 1 month after it's inception, although I was just a lurker for so long. Those original members seemed to know SO much more than I, but after reading and learning and becoming comfortable with the members I started to venture into the "posting participant" area.

Can you imagine me, as you know me today, being too shy to post in a forum??? Hahahahaha

As to the Green Tea - just drink it. Doesn't make any difference if you add sugar or honey or a good shot of Jack Daniels to it....well, maybe the JD is a little off ~ but the sweetners really don't alter all the good it does. I'm sure you don't want to add too much because you're trying to keep down the calorie count, but it's better to be able to drink it and get it down. I find if I make a simple syrup (equal amounts of sugar & water heated until the sugar disolves) I use LESS because it combines so much easier than the granulated sugar does.

Just a thought.

I will tell Evelyn you said hello. She is busy getting ready to go to MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. This will be her first treatments with chemo and radiotherapy since her diagnosis of stage 4 cancer over a year ago.
She is deathly afraid to fly in a plane, and so someone is going to accompany her.
She said,"I love life so much, and even though I over 70, I just would love to buy 5 more years of life. I told her prayers will put that 5 years on the callendar.

That's a great idea with the simple syrup. I only add like 1/2 a teaspoon. Isn't that weird? I drink coffee with no sugar, but I have to have sugar with tea.

Today is a Day without Tina! ... She was in PA at my cousins at 8:45 this morning.
They are going bargain food shopping. Ummmmm! She always brings me a surprize of some kind of food. I would think tonight will be a temporary "Off the Diet Day" No pig

8Wednesday 5/8/13 Empty Re: Wednesday 5/8/13 Thu May 09, 2013 12:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy - I'm the same way about just a tiny bit of sweetness in my tea (hot or cold).

My coffee is black ~ Dane use to use that French Vanilla creamer. I tried it once because I thought it smelled good. Goodness, it was SO sweet! I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't what I tasted!

I keep my sugar syrup in a oil/vinegar cruet in the refrigerator - the kind with a cap that has a small hole in the top. Then just 4 shakes (I've measured, it's a little less than 1/2 tsp.) in my glass of ice and then the tea poured over...all mixed and I think just that little bit of sweetness takes away a "bitter" taste I get with totally unsweetened tea.

9Wednesday 5/8/13 Empty Instead pf of salt Thu May 09, 2013 4:12 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Jimmy, a squeeze of lemon juice (or vinegar if you like that flavor) makes anything taste saltier. Just FYI.

10Wednesday 5/8/13 Empty Re: Wednesday 5/8/13 Thu May 09, 2013 10:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:Jimmy, a squeeze of lemon juice (or vinegar if you like that flavor) makes anything taste saltier. Just FYI.

Thanks Crybaby! I love juice of lemon on fish and seafood. I really do not add salt to my food, but the only fruit is a tomato. That I have to have salt. Oooops. And a Hard Boiled Egg, but only if I eat it alone.

I don't like salt on a sliced egg sandwich or egg salad. Isn't that weird??

11Wednesday 5/8/13 Empty Re: Wednesday 5/8/13 Fri May 10, 2013 8:07 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Jimmy, I do not know Evelyn but please give her my best wishes.

Green Tea, hate to give it away, but it is my 'secret' for weight loss. I drink it at least once a day, usually twice. I have reg during the day and decaf at night.
It tastes kind of 'grassy' to me; but you do develop a taste for it.
If you can find the Tazo brand, try the Zen type. It has lemongrass in it and tastes really good. From what I have read, and discussing it with some Asia co-workers, it is very good for you. I was given a "Chinese" organic tea bag (I work right near Chinatown). It was so good.

AS far as reducing salt. It is all about label reading. Once you start this, you will not believe how much sodium is in all the foods we consume! affraid

I use a salt on potatoes and eggs.

Cut back on ham and sausages--yes, kielbasa!! Sad

If you are near a Penzey's spice store, they have a good variety of salt-free seasoning mixes. You can check it out on-line and/or order a catalog.

To me, Mrs Dash has a terrible taste/aftertaste..

Good Luck! We are checking up on our Uncle!!

12Wednesday 5/8/13 Empty Re: Wednesday 5/8/13 Fri May 10, 2013 8:27 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Jimmy, I sure hope you get a handle on that BP. yikes I saw what is was before it came down to 170/80..I would have stroked out.....

Take heed. My friend..

I have such control on my diabetes,so I won't keel over with that.

But heart issue's s care the chit out of me....... affraid

so if all it takes is watching my foods, I can do that..

I plan on sticking around as long as I can..

13Wednesday 5/8/13 Empty Re: Wednesday 5/8/13 Fri May 10, 2013 4:48 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:Jimmy, a squeeze of lemon juice (or vinegar if you like that flavor) makes anything taste saltier. Just FYI.

Thanks Crybaby! I love juice of lemon on fish and seafood. I really do not add salt to my food, but the only fruit is a tomato. That I have to have salt. Oooops. And a Hard Boiled Egg, but only if I eat it alone.

Yep but you said it! I love salt, too, and try not to put the shakers on the table (Brian is on BP pills though his blood pressure is back to normal). But then Brian usually gets up and gets the shakers himself. I shamefully admit I like salt on everything! I once told someone I think I could give up booze before salt -- and that's saying something as I love my wine and the occasional cocktails.

Last edited by Crybaby on Fri May 10, 2013 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

14Wednesday 5/8/13 Empty Re: Wednesday 5/8/13 Fri May 10, 2013 5:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Yep but you said it! I love salt, too, and try not to put the shakers on the table (Brian is on BP pills though his blood pressure is back to normal. But then Brian usually gets up and gets the shakers himself. I shamefully admit I like salt on everything! I once told someone I think I could give up booze before salt -- and that's saying something as I love my wine and the occasional cocktails.

Wine is good! I'm having a nice cold beer right now! It's my reward for cutting the grass and moving a small wood pile today.

My mom and Tinas mom...would start with the salt shaker even before they tasted the food!

Tina would get furious (inside) just watching them shake shake shake the salt like 15 times, and the more someone would say?Oh MY"...all that salt!" that the more they continued to shake shake shake it on. They both had low low low blood pressure. Go figure???confused

15Wednesday 5/8/13 Empty Re: Wednesday 5/8/13 Fri May 10, 2013 5:17 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

My mom and Tinas mom...would start with the salt shaker even before they tasted the food!

Tina would get furious (inside) just watching them shake shake shake the salt like 15 times, and the more someone would say?Oh MY"...all that salt!" that the more they continued to shake shake shake it on. They both had low low low blood pressure. Go figure???

The last job I had in advertising (left the field as all I did was work and travel for work), the president of the company, a female, hired me on the spot to start that day. She later told me she usually took people out to dinner prior to offering them a job. I told her, "You wouldn't have hired me." When she asked why, I replied, "Because I often salt my food before tasting it." She was a very big woman and laughed and said that wouldn't have bothered her because she did the same thing! I made it working for her for a year and a half. She even made me a Vice President. But I would get home some nights at midnight, 3 a.m., 5 a.m., etc. One night I came home at 2 a.m., woke Brian to let him know that I was home and I was so keyed up that I made myself a cocktail (a Bombay gimlet, to be specific) so I could sleep. I sat in my living room and thought how sad a picture I was. I figured I'd hit 50 -- alone, as I was never home -- and all I'd want to do with my big salary was that it couldn't do -- make me 30 years old again. Gave notice that next day and trust me, she never forgave me! I sat there putting a price tag on every single thing in the living room including my expenisive clothes and shoes. Then I thought about whether I could live without all that stuff and the answer was yes! One of the smartest things I ever did. Brian jumped for joy the next morning when I told him and that led to 34 years together last April! Sorry for the OT comment!

16Wednesday 5/8/13 Empty Re: Wednesday 5/8/13 Fri May 10, 2013 6:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby - I think your story is heartwarming. (and completely welcome here!)

It's amazing how we sometimes think money will make us happy, then we have the opportunity to find out and realize it's not everything after all.

Dane and I have had our share of the "for better or worse, richer or poorer" and, just like you and Brian, found our balance and have been very happy (well, he maybe more than me but who's keeping score..... joke - just a joke!). We'll be celebrating 45 years in January.

17Wednesday 5/8/13 Empty Re: Wednesday 5/8/13 Fri May 10, 2013 7:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:

Tina would get furious (inside) just watching them shake shake shake the salt like 15 times, and the more someone would say?Oh MY"...all that salt!" that the more they continued to shake shake shake it on. They both had low low low blood pressure. Go figure???

The last job I had in advertising (left the field as all I did was work and travel for work), the president of the company, a female, hired me on the spot to start that day. She later told me she usually took people out to dinner prior to offering them a job. I told her, "You wouldn't have hired me." When she asked why, I replied, "Because I often salt my food before tasting it." She was a very big woman and laughed and said that wouldn't have bothered her because she did the same thing! I made it working for her for a year and a half. She even made me a Vice President. But I would get home some nights at midnight, 3 a.m., 5 a.m., etc. One night I came home at 2 a.m., woke Brian to let him know that I was home and I was so keyed up that I made myself a cocktail (a Bombay gimlet, to be specific) so I could sleep. I sat in my living room and thought how sad a picture I was. I figured I'd hit 50 -- alone, as I was never home -- and all I'd want to do with my big salary was that it couldn't do -- make me 30 years old again. Gave notice that next day and trust me, she never forgave me! I sat there putting a price tag on every single thing in the living room including my expenisive clothes and shoes. Then I thought about whether I could live without all that stuff and the answer was yes! One of the smartest things I ever did. Brian jumped for joy the next morning when I told him and that led to 34 years together last April! Sorry for the OT comment!

Oh! Joy!... For a moment there, I related your story to one of Rod Serlings "Twilight Zone" episodes.
That was a great "Life Reality!" ... Bless You!
flower

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum