Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

BLT Pasta variation

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1BLT Pasta variation Empty BLT Pasta variation Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When you need an idea for a fairly quick meal and you don't want to go to a lot of trouble, give this one a try...

Start a pot or skillet of water boiling and cook spaghetti, angel hair pasta, bucatini, or what ever type of pasta you have on hand.

Slice and brown four or five slices of bacon, reserve. Pour off all but a couple Tbsp. of the bacon fat, but save in case you need more later. Soften a sliced leek in the fat, remove and reserve. Turn up the heat and add some of the reserved bacon fat, quickly sauté a bunch of whole grape tomatoes or deseeded chopped fresh tomatoes, sprinkle with a tsp. of sugar to help blister and caramalize the tomatoes. Deglaze when tomatoes are heated through but still firm with a bit of white wine, add a splash of chicken broth to create a sauce. Return cooked leeks and bacon to tomatoes. Add cooked pasta to pan and then a package of fresh baby spinach, stirring together to just wilt the spinach. Serve immediately and sprinkle a good amount of buttered fresh breadcrumbs on top of each serving.

I'm going to make a variation by using oven roasted tomatoes - halved and seeded cherry tomatoes or baby Roma's, coated with evoo and seasoned with s&p, baked until dehydrated.

2BLT Pasta variation Empty Re: BLT Pasta variation Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Wow! That sounds really good Beth!
I wonder how it would taste with green tomato slices?

It would definetely be angel hair spaghetti for me. I'll bet the little spinach spaghetti Nests would be good too! Or even the Rotelli ( we call em Springs ) hahahaha

3BLT Pasta variation Empty Re: BLT Pasta variation Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:43 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Sounds really good to me, too, Beth. Thanks.

4BLT Pasta variation Empty Re: BLT Pasta variation Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:36 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think if you give it a try you'll be surprised at how tasty it is...

I had always thought spaghetti needed a runny tomato sauce until I started making a sauce with al dente vegetables and white wine and a bit of chicken broth...the spaghetti straight from the boiling water has enough starch to thicken it slightly. But the real kicker on the plate is the fresh buttery breadcrumbs. They still have some crunch and add a nice texture. I usually have stale ciabatta dinner rolls in the freezer I grate to make my breadcrumbs....butter and seasoned with s&p, Parmesan cheese, spices pulled out of the cabinet...whatever sounds good to you.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum