Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stuff I use every day

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Stuff I use every day Empty Stuff I use every day Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I warmed up leftovers for lunch today and I got to thinking about some things I use every day but seldom give a second thought to. But I sure would miss them if I didn't have them.

One is paper plates. I use them for so many things. Right now my pork tenderloin is sitting on a paper plate to thaw in the refrigerator. So much better than all that condensation dripping on the refrigerator shelf.

I use a paper plate to slice tomatoes and pickles and onions for burger night....holds all the juices and then just tossed.

The other thing I use constantly is my plastic wrap. Over three years ago I spent about $30 on one of those "industrial" size boxes of plastic wrap at Costco or Sam's Club. At first I thought it was expensive, but I know I've had it over 3 years and it's still got more on the roll. I just leave it out on my counter, out of the way but accessible to cover or wrap all kinds of things. It's got a little plastic piece that slices through the plastic wrap without need for a metal blade...nice and neat. No struggles with it being pulled back into a little box and getting stuck to the roll, either.

2Stuff I use every day Empty Re: Stuff I use every day Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:09 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

I warmed up leftovers for lunch today and I got to thinking about some things I use every day but seldom give a second thought to. But I sure would miss them if I didn't have them.

One is paper plates. I use them for so many things. Right now my pork tenderloin is sitting on a paper plate to thaw in the refrigerator. So much better than all that condensation dripping on the refrigerator shelf.

I use a paper plate to slice tomatoes and pickles and onions for burger night....holds all the juices and then just tossed.

I use a regular plate as you use paper, Beth, except for using a small cutting board for the burger fixings. With a dishwasher, I feel there's no need for me to spend money on using paper plates.

I try to use paper towels as little as possible so when something is to be drained on paper towels, I use a bit of newspaper with just one paper towel on top. Works well and I use less paper.

When Costco opens here later on this year, I'm going to get one of those huge things of plastic wrap, though, as we use a lot of it.

3Stuff I use every day Empty Re: Stuff I use every day Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:38 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I buy those bulk items at costco.I bought 2 rolls of the best ever plastic wrap Kirkland brand 4 yrs ago ,& still on the first box.It was not 30$. maybe 10 ..
400 ct draw string heavy duty tall trash bags.Lasted me over 3 yrs.$10 or 12.

5k coffee filters lol $4.
kirkland brand soap powder that was a good if not better then Tide.That thing lasted a really really long time,years.could have been maybe $16/18.

Paper plates oh ya. I use them like crazy.

My dishwasher gets filled every day,full. Yet I use loads of PP.I am either very messy or very clean Stuff I use every day 1838020472 

I figure it is toss up, PP are cheap, Finish is $$..

My Mom bought a roll of tin foil at a kitchen supply house, she has been gone 11 yrs,I took care of her for almost 8, she had it before then.Shocked Shocked that thing sits on top of my dryer takes up space ,Heavy still. Talk about getting your moneys worth.

My 2 girls are very paper trained so that is where my newspaper goes.

I tried to not buy paper towels,humm that lasted about a couple months.

costco is now up to $70 for a yr Stuff I use every day 1562938848 Sams is $45. Not so sure sams has the quality of costco tho.IDK.. both are far to drive.well sams is closer.maybe 40 min.

4Stuff I use every day Empty Re: Stuff I use every day Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:29 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've had memberships at both Sam's Club and Costco...Costco wins hands down for me.

Sam's keeps dropping items I came to depend upon, and bringing in new stock of stuff that I wouldn't ever buy. Costco seems much more consistent, especially with the Kirkland brand.

You might suggest as I do that the annual renewal membership be a birthday/Christmas gift since we are usually difficult to buy for....a membership for something I actually use makes more sense than another something to sit around the house.

5Stuff I use every day Empty Re: Stuff I use every day Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I use plastic bags, like sandwich size ziploc  for leftover foods, so I don't need to wash the containers Wink , and fold top plastic bags for my chopped onions or garlic or bell peppers for later use

6Stuff I use every day Empty Re: Stuff I use every day Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:39 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

I try not to use paper plates too much but my hubs loves them so I keep the medium size around for sandwiches. I try to repurpose paper towels, if I happen to dry clean hands with one, will use it to wipe a spill on the counter, crumbs, things like that. I bought an extra 8 salad plates from dish pattern and use those instead of paper plates and since none of our drawers is the right size for flatware, I bought an antique looking utensil caddy which sets on the counter by the dishwasher and that where we keep our flatware -- very easy access for both using and putting away from dishwasher. I have a lazy susan on the dining table that holds a napkin holder, small dish for pens, scissors etc. salt & pepper, hot sauce and seasoning salt. I use my coffee maker and iced tea maker daily so I have them on the counter and the tea, coffee and filters in an adjacent cabinet.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]