Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

38 emails this morning

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

138 emails this morning Empty 38 emails this morning Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:57 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I knew Cry baby was IN the house..38 emails this morning 911454047 

Gosh I love your posts.

I go to the thrift store to buy paperbacks & I get bags full. I started to read one & gosh I can't put the thing down.It is about New Orleans.Or takes place there. What a great read. Page after page I think omg they should have made a movie with this book..

So much history about the city. About the French side the Irish side,the Divide.I think about you when reading.

I have been there a few times. It rained the whole time.

Don't know how I missed reading this book before..

Alexandra Ripley

New Orleans Legacy 38 emails this morning 3593629538 

238 emails this morning Empty Re: 38 emails this morning Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:00 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good book, huh?

Does it have anything about, "glistening loins"????

(Anymore I only read the trashy ones.......)

338 emails this morning Empty Re: 38 emails this morning Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:05 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

38 emails this morning 2876911673 no not yet..this read is well worth the 30c I paid study lol! 

438 emails this morning Empty Re: 38 emails this morning Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:26 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

I had to laugh when I read your message, Barbara, Embarassed as I kept noticing how many messages I'd left when I looked at the right-hand column on the screen.  I kept thinking about that "trashy broad" and hoped I didn't sound like her since I was posting so much!  

As you may have guessed, I have trouble sleeping.  Brian usually watches TV in bed a while prior to going to sleep but he often goes to sleep a lot earlier than me.  If I lay there in the dark more than 20 minutes without fallling asleep, I usually get up, which is what I did the other night -- was on here for HOURS and finally got sleepy about 6 a.m.  You poor guys had to listen to a whole night's worth of me!!!

Get ready, as I'm WIDE AWAKE TONIGHT!!!!  clown

I read a lot, B, but I don't think I've read that one before.  Glad you're enjoying tales of N.O.  (But many a tme, I've bought a book which I have already read.  No lie.)

538 emails this morning Empty Re: 38 emails this morning Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:35 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

I read a lot, B, but I don't think I've read that one before.  Glad you're enjoying tales of N.O.  (But many a tme, I've bought a book which I have already read.  No lie.)

Crybaby, I do that all the time, too. I read a lot of what I refer to as "trashy novels", but they are the ones by Danielle Steele, Susan Macomber, etc.

But isn't it funny to be about 1/3 of the way through a book and then realize you read it before? I guess when I read, for the most part, I don't retain what I read. If you asked me the last book I read I'd have to go see what was on top of the pile.....well, no, I'd just have to look next to me because I just read "Dearie" by Bob Spitz (the story of Julia Child). It's still sitting on the end table. LOL

Some read to learn, or enjoy history and historical places. For the most part I read to "get away" and I prefer contemporary locale and venues. Just something light and entertaining. And nothing all that memorable....so I can pick it up yet again and enjoy it all over.

638 emails this morning Empty Re: 38 emails this morning Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:27 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Some read to learn, or enjoy history and historical places. For the most part I read to "get away" and I prefer contemporary locale and venues. Just something light and entertaining. And nothing all that memorable....so I can pick it up yet again and enjoy it all over.

I read to escape as well, Beth.  When people ask me what I read, I usually respond, "Bestseller fictional trash!"  There are certain authors who I've learned I do not like -- Danielle Steele is one of them and Stephen King is another -- but I do like many of the prolific writers (I was sooo sad when Maeve Binchy died last year, as I adored her books and recently read the last one published after her death, "Whitethorn Woods").  I love what I call really good storytellers and she, IMHO, was one of the best.  And I have a TERRIBLE memory for titles and authors, and just had to retreat to the bookshelf in our bedroom to get the name of Binchy's last book. confused 

I also like Nelson DeMille a lot, too, and am currently re-reading one about post-war Vietnam called "Up Country."  The first time I read it, years ago, I walked into the kitchen one morning and said something in Vietnamese and Brian's head nearly spun completely around!  He said, "WHAT did you just say?"  Brian has an amazing memory re languages and served in Vietnam many years ago and STILL remembers all the Vietnamese he learned.  Now I'm doing it to him again with my re-read!  Can you believe he still remembers all the Japanese he learned while watching "Shogun" and what it all means?!  He speaks a little bit of tons of languages (he was in the shipping industry for over 30 years so dealt with tons of people all over the world), and he speaks TONS of Greek.  I laugh sometime when he's on the phone with one of his Greek friends as he'll be speaking in Greek for so long until he finally reverts to English.  Me?  I have to write something down in a foreign language phonetically and put it on a post-it that sits in front of me for six weeks before I can remember it.  And then if I don't use it all the time, in a month it's forgotten!!

Occasionally, I also read things that are not fictional.  Brian recently traveled to a memorial service in Salem, Mass. (his darling cousin Colleen, 61, died from brain cancer) and stayed with his Aunt Mary and Uncle Al in Quincy.  Uncle Al is a retired Boston police detective and of course, the Whitey Bulger case is currently being tried.  He came home with a couple of books on Bulger and then some arrived from Amazon that Aunt Mary sent us.  I read a couple and really enjoyed "The Brothers Bulger."  

And I was gaga over the Harry Potter books, and got hooked about 10 pages into the first one.  Brian loved them, too.  We stlll laugh about the character names J.K. Rowling came up with --some of them were just so on point, like Malfoy!!  

I also like true crime books and enjoy the ones by Ann Rule.  I really enjoyed "Helter Skelter" many years ago, too...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum