Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is this just me?

+2
bethk
Barbara101
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Is this just me? Empty Is this just me? Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:52 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I would never ever name my son George......Mad Mad No 

2Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:32 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Georgie Porgie pumpkin pie......

This is a cooking forum, OF COURSE I would name a child George! LOL

Actually, I think there is a huge amount of pressure to use family names, names of dead kings, etc. at least I think that's why he wasn't named Damian or Jamal or Ringo. Actually, I rather like the name Alexander. They could give him a nickname from one of his middle names, call him Alex or Xander (pronounced Zander) like friends of mine did with their son. But he will probably be called George. I mean, his uncle is Harry. That's not exactly a trendy 21st century name but rather a name that goes way, way back in history.

3Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:19 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

you know my EX & I fought the whole 9 months about the name.He wanted to name my son Frank after his father. Or Earl . His name was Richard & was NOT doing that either.His middle name was King. ????
I won that round.I named my son Christopher.Laughing Laughing 

4Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:54 pm

NormM

NormM

I read that after King John, John was struck from the roster of names that Royalty could be named so I guess they have a list to choose from.  When Prince George becomes King, he can decide what people will call him.  I think Prince Albert choose to be called King Edward.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

5Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

And we all know I'd stick with Queen Elizabeth.... You may all bow down, please......and now I share a birth date with a royal because my birthday was Monday!

6Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:05 pm

NormM

NormM

Happy belated birthday!

7Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Isn't yous coming up quickly? Or did we miss it?

8Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:59 pm

NormM

NormM

I turned 69 on July 15th. The kids took me out to dinner. We decided on the go to stop at an Asian place we'd never been to before. Charlie was not impressed. The 'Korean' food didn't taste like any we'd had before but Cassie and I both liked it.

9Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, belated birthday wishes to you, too! I knew we were close but couldn't remember who's was first.

10Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:48 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Happy Belated birthday to you Beth and Norm... Is this just me? 3267860543 Is this just me? 3602300868 Is this just me? 829809188 

11Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:24 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, Imelda!

12Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:10 am

NormM

NormM

Thank you from me too.

13Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:54 am

LisaSD

LisaSD

Speaking of names, my stepdaughter just had a baby boy last month. They named him Grayson. I don't really like the name but it is better than Jaxton which is what they were considering calling him.

14Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:43 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I remember when our daughters had their children....I had a conversation with each and said I didn't care what they named their children but I would really appreciate if it was something I could pronounce and spell and my friends and relatives would be able to remember.

My oldest daughter is Andrea, a fairly common name today but trendy in the 1970's. My grandmother could never remember how to say her name and always called her Audrey or Audra, names much more familiar to her. But Grandma had had a number of strokes and was becoming aphasiac by the time my children were born. I was just happy she could sit and rock them and watch them grow into toddlers.

I feel sorry for families with grandparents and great or great-great grandparents when the parents decide to make up a name in hopes of their child being "unique" in the eyes of the world. I don't think the parents take into consideration their child will forever be asked to repeat their name and spell it. Use to be we were only asked how to spell our last names.

15Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:21 am

NormM

NormM

It's funny about trendy names. Andrea is from the 70's. My sister and everyone else named Linda was born in the late 40's or early 50's.

16Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:29 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

same with Barbara..Everyone I see or meet with the name ,is as old as I am Razz Laughing 

17Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara Bush, Barbara Walters, Barbra Streisand.......OK, so the spelling is different on the last one, but what a set of vocal cords!

I asked both of my girls to please consider naming their first born Elizabeth to honor me....they chose Joshua and Jacob instead.

18Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:27 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I asked both of my girls to please consider naming their first born Elizabeth to honor me....they chose Joshua and Jacob instead.

Is this just me? 2876911673 

19Is this just me? Empty Re: Is this just me? Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:35 am

LisaSD

LisaSD

ha ha! Beth...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum